R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme
Default how long will ur drift hobby last?

guys, i have got my yokomo drift package for just 1mth +, and till now its giving me headache with never ending problems :

1 : Charger problem - have to buy a good charger (muchmore CTXC)
2 : Fried ESC - got a novak GTS and new pinion gear coz the final gear ratio is too low
3 : banging into pillar which cause front chasis to broke - have to change a new chasis
4 : steering block loosen, making kingpins flew off - have to get a new aluminium steering block and kingpin set.

the problem will never end and u will just throw in more and more money to replace it or to modify it. so i just like to know how long does this hobby really last to you guys? coz i m started to get bored and frustrated with it liao. the maintainence is much more than my airtrek.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
Tech Elite

With the charger and speedo you must have had a bit of bad luck or tried to use them in a way they were not designed to.

Chargers almost never go wrong, if they do it would normally be under warranty. Speedos will only go wrong if you use too fast a motor with them or wire them up wrong or if your car is in bad mechanical condition and doesn't run freely.

Breakages happen when you crash.

Parts come loose, it's one of those things, you get around it by keeping an eye on the fittings. Kingpins are one of those parts that tends to work loose over time because of the turning motion of the steering blocks.

I don't know why you have spend so much on your replacement parts. If you are just bashing around you don't need the most expensive stuff.

Anyway, I've been in the hobby almost 20 years. Other people are only into it 20 minutes. If you aren't enjoying the hobby, don't force yourself to stay in it.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Your charger and Speed control should be under warranty if its only been 1 month so you shouldn't have had to buy new ones, the car wouldn't have broken if you hadn't hit the pillar and if you took two minutes to check over your car before running it the kingpins would have been less likely to fall out. I can't see the problem here.
pyrosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Question: What's an airtrek?!

Invariably crashes do happen but with a little practice you might find they become less serious.

I want to point out that the upgrades and equipment that you're talking about aren't exactly stock standard. If you're drifting for run, you DONT need the latest charger, those fancy hop-up steering blocks etc..

The Muchmore charger that you're talking about is pretty high end! Unless you have a desire to race you'd get just as much "fun" out of a entry level charger!

Basically ANY 4wd rc car on abs will drift reasonably well! Using an inexpensive charger will suffice. You can easily reduce the costs...

Yokomo kits in particular have a tendency to lose their steering kingpins. I know quite a few guys running yokomo that have the same problem. A little thread lock fixes it for good. If your budget only allows for the stock plastic carriers don't be disappointed. The problem is easily fixed!!

A good quality ESC will last you years with proper use. I had a futaba ESC from the early 90's that was still going strong and still able to outperform current entry esc's!! take care of your components than they'll take care of you..

Lastly - there are plety of guys on these forums who are happy to help with setup/driving/equipment tips... there are threads and site with drift bodies, stlyes and comps! hook yourself up with other drifters and you'll enjoy your sport more!!

check out rc-d1.com!!(blatant plug...)
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:50 AM   #5
Tech Adept

go TT01, the good reliable car
marcus1358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Keep an eye on the outboard bearing. the standard kit bearing are small. you can go to the cgm uprights that accept larger bearings.
lock tight on the king pin is a must. wear and breakage can happen with extended usage. I've been involved with rc drifting since the introduction of the yokomo drift package. in 2004.
check out the rc drift websites (driftrcentral.com, grooveydrift etc.) for locations to drift in you area. It is much more fun to drift with others with the same interest. I enjoy the detail of the drift car bodies and the rims as opposed to on road where the wheels are merely white disc and everycar has the dodge stratus jelly bean look. and on road paint jobs are very unrealistic with day glo window trim. Ever see a Dodge stratus with day glow windows driving down the street? lol. I'm jus kidding, because I race on road also. same car Yokomo CGM with much different set up.
I can change over in one evening.

hang in there, drifting is much fun, cheaper, and prizes are way better in the rc competions.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

In response to the original question of how long the hobby lasts... I've been racing RC off and on for about 20 years now. I've never been a "basher" but for a few months when I first got a cheap car from Sears or something.. Then I found out you could race these things and have been doing only that ever since. So if you get involved in a part of the hobby that you really enjoy, it can last a lifetime. Just make sure to hide the expense reports from family members and significant others...

RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

hmm, i think its my carelessness, and also not knowledgeable enough that cause most of the problems. hehhee,, so trying to blame on the expense of changing parts. i guess after reading all these posts, i will start to take care of my car liao. hahaha. oh btw, the airtrek that i mentioned is the car that i am driving. its mitsubishi airtrek or outlander, turbo charged. kekkee..

can someone list down how much they have spend over the period where they 1st get the stock kit? coz it seems like after some calculations, i have spent around USD800, m just a beginner. looks like i m really buying high end parts, but its just my principle "u pay wat u get", so cheap things doesn't come good.

anyway, its been nice hearing from all drifters that they are still hanging onto their rc hobbies. i guess the main reason that i started to feel bored is that there are no drifters here in my place, shall check out to see if they is anyone to drift with. cheers

oh btw, can someone recommend me a good micro EP heli RTF? want something that is simple, but i have heard a lot of saying that heli is not really easy to fly.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote