Monster horsepower stock pro (gearing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monster horsepower stock pro (gearing)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

I totally believe him!!!! You have to remember that not all Monster Stocks are the same. It depends on many thinks really brushes, springs, com dia just to name a few. It also depends on the type of corners on the track.

Although I personally haven't tried one yet I can almost garrantee I will be running mine at around 6:1 on a absolutly massive gas car track that we are having our nats at. But if I raced indoors on carpet I would probably run it at around 7.5:1 to start off at

Last edited by ixlr8nz; 12-27-2002 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pop, I do run a Monster Stock a that ratio. You also have to remember it's not the summer time anymore. I can get away with my gearing. But also remember my track size. You can not gear at 7 or higher and expect to be fast. Especially with the 213' straight. I went up on gearing and slowed down. I went down on gearing and slowed down. So 6.25 was the best for me here. I'm actually geared to what I run my GM3's. Here it used to be Gm3's that were fast along with the occassional Core Stock I ran at the other track. Anyhow, the Monster Stock got warm if that. Not hot. So no funny smells here. Only time a Monster Stock smelt funny was when a friend tried to run it in his MF XXX-T on our indoor offroad track. It's small and tight. Not a good motor for a truck on this track. But I'll be trying it out in my B3 tomorrow.

Well I let a friend borrow my Monster Stock for the Amain since I wasn't running that day. He normally used a Core Stock and qualified 2nd (TC3). He also geared it to what I recommended. Something like 98/39. Let's just say he won the main a lap or 2 ahead of everyone. This was a Monster Stock Pro (65w sticker)untouched on it's 2nd run. My other one was just a Monster Stock tuned by the local Motor guru (Mindblown). My 3rd Monster Stock Pro was picked by Trinity (69w/104torque sticker). It's being tuned by Mindblown.

Anyhow, you can't always go by what the sticker says or even what the instructions say. It's all about track size, layout, and weather. Another thing is I have a XXX-S G+. I just happened to look at the Losi website for setups. Well one setup had the gearing for a Monster Stock. If you figured the gearing out... the final came down to 7.0. Soooo saying a factory guy was to use the "Trinity Instructions"... he's geared waaaayyy off the 8.0 gearing you proposed. Just food for thought.

Another thing too is my TC3 is pretty free rolling. I ran the Monster Stock in my 414M2 with with gearing at 6.56. I managed to keep the car at the Mid 19 sec laps. But not low 19's or 18's like my TC3.

Once again, I'll try to gear around 7-7.5 at this track just to see what it does. I'm open to anything. But 6.25-6.5 is what I have been running with Monster Stock and my GM3's. Trust me, if my motors smelt funny, I wouldn't be geared like that!! My motor man wouldn't let me!!

I'll let yall know what I geared at for carpet come next weekend.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well you have to run what works best for you. I have tried my monsters with fdr's from 7.0, up to the high 8s and I gear strickly by laps times. On the track I run the most, depending on the layout that day, my fastest laps are with a 8.0 to 8.2 final. I used to run my P2K2's in the 6's but found out my best lap times where when I geared in the mid to upper 7's. Hey, try a bunch of different ratio's till you find what works for you.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

This is a real good motor and at SOcal was using a 7.5 ratio... and it was fast.... Even considered going to about an 8 or so... may have to try that next....... Very nice motor....
Old 12-28-2002, 06:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

I tried mine with a 7.5 or 7.2, don't rememer which, and it topped out before the end of our straight. I let Dave Johnson try it (he comes to our track to practice often), he said it looked topped out 3/4 of the way down the 80' straight. I went back to 6.9 and had no problems on the straight. I will also say that I have had no problems with the engine overheating, I have always been able to hold my fingers on it after a round (my simple way of judging). Now that I have the fan on the car, it's almost cool with the 6.9 gearing and 60mm tires. Maybe it sounds crazy to you guys, but it does work. When I switched from my P2K2, I only dropped one tooth.

Let me add this, those of you that say they don't all perform the same are correct. The reason I tried the 7.5 or 7.2 ratio last weekend was due to another TC3 that was running it, and looked fast. I tried it on my car and it simply didn't work. I have 3 Monster Stocks, and all perform differently in the car, and on the Turbo 35. They all have different amp draws, and different rpm ranges (judging by sound only, no dyno). One is an original, and two are pro's.

How about this, What are you guy's using for springs & brushes? What's the daim. of your com? How are you "tuning" your motors?
- trunig the hoods
- reaming the bushings
- centering the arm, teflon shims, ect.
- anything I'm forgetting?
What kind of pinions do you guys run? Steel, Aluminum, or Ti?
What's a popular spur to start with? Do you go bigger or smaller(72 vs. 76, 98 vs. 104), 48 or 64 pitch?
Old 12-28-2002, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Guys;

I ran my Monster Stock in my Pro-3 today and ended up with a 7.67 final ratio and NO ONE was pulling me on the straight (about 100'-120'). My buddy ran one in his Losi XXXS with something around 6.90 final and was cooking the windings on his armature.
If the Track is big and fast, then yes you could get away with that kind of gearing your running. For the average temperary parking lot track, your better with the Higher ratios.
Also I believe that the labels Trinity supplies now are worthless because they are at 5 volts and we run our TC's at 7.2+ volts.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, Their labels are useless, first thing I peeled off!
Old 12-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Well this may shock you guys, but I ended up goin to 6.1 gearing on the XXX-S G+ in order to take TQ today. I was lacking speed down the long straight and this made up for it. Ended up running Takeoffs CS22's in the main and won. Then I sold the car. Gonna concentrate on the TC3 now. Plus I'm trying to get back my old Yok Special. Anyways, next Saturday I'll be running carpet with the TC3 on a very small tight course. I'll start off with 7.5 gearing and work my way around. I'll post my findings. Til then, L8Rz
Old 12-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

This may come as a shock but here in down under we gear at about 5.5 to 5.8 to get any sort of speed from our P2K2/Monsters/Core stock motors. Motors seem to last despite the treatment they get Never seen one go up in smoke yet.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by itchynads
This may come as a shock but here in down under we gear at about 5.5 to 5.8 to get any sort of speed from our P2K2/Monsters/Core stock motors. Motors seem to last despite the treatment they get Never seen one go up in smoke yet.
i concur... i think we must be way too harsh or the rest of the world too soft on their stocks
Old 12-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by contact
i concur... i think we must be way too harsh or the rest of the world too soft on their stocks
I'd settle for the latter
Old 12-29-2002, 11:48 PM
Suspended

whats the trans ratio for the XXXS graphite plus?
Old 12-30-2002, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

XXXS transmission ratio is 1.8
Old 12-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

I must say it was interesting at the Aussie nats how fast those cars in stock are. The NZ team were struggling to keep up with the outright speed u Aussies had at the nats. I'm sure our fastest stock contender who qualified 2nd out of 76 or so was the best driver out there, but his car would struggle to keep up with the speed of the top Aussies until their motors got really hot. It was quite noticeable that most of them were nowhere near hitting the apex on every corner.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by KilRuf
Well this may shock you guys, but I ended up goin to 6.1 gearing on the XXX-S G+ in order to take TQ today. I was lacking speed down the long straight and this made up for it. Ended up running Takeoffs CS22's in the main and won. Then I sold the car. Gonna concentrate on the TC3 now. Plus I'm trying to get back my old Yok Special. Anyways, next Saturday I'll be running carpet with the TC3 on a very small tight course. I'll start off with 7.5 gearing and work my way around. I'll post my findings. Til then, L8Rz
ah! jimmy great to see u can write looking forward to racin with u again are they still running at the durham track this winter? going to come down and race there alot this coming year going to make the nationals its on my scheudle also some of the monthly big races there's going to be a good turn out this weekend at trackside think the turing class will be bigger than the oval going to start xxx-s at 7.6 +/- work from there on monster stock and 7.5 on v-10r torque matrix/w 58.2 mm
tires don,t think you'll have it as easy here as u have had back home...see ya Saturday............Bubba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.