Wiki Posts
Search

Truing rubber tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Truing rubber tires

Just wondering if there is a way of truing rubber tires so they are flat and even again, like you can with foam tires? I havnt got a tire truer and dont want to go a buy one either.
Ive got a handling issue with my tc4ft and i think ive traked it down to tires uevenly worn due to not keeping them in the same position they came from eg. LF being changed to RR.
I have a bag full of tires that are all worn differently it would be great if i could get them all the same again.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Chris
Old 04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Not much you can do unfortunately. As rubber tires aren't solid like foams are (due to the insert, rim, tire combination) there really isn't any conceivable way to true them.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

at my local track I've seen people true their rubber tires. about 2 years agoo i guess and never seen it since. but the benefits are that you create a fresh layer of rubber thats almost as sticky and fresh as when you open your bag.
Love the smell of Frech rubber heh
also you can flatten the tire a bit, But its Really difficult to true a rubber tire because it is a bit bold compared to a Foam tire. its like trueing the rounded edges of a foam tire with your lathe. But it can be done.

Mark