R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Having switched from brushed to brushless motors for modified I don't know why anyone would ever run a brushed mod at a club event or any other event where a 7-8T would be sufficient.

With my brushed motor I was constantly turning and rebrushing them in my sedan . With my brushless I leave my lathe & motor tools @ home and just focus on racing. The newest crop of brushless motors are finally fast enough to truly compete on nearly all tracks & conditions.

From my experience the:

5.5T motors are roughly an 8T equivalent
6.5T motors are like a 10T
8.5T motors are comparable to a reg 15T or some of the hotter outlaw 19Ts
10.5T motors are faster than a stock motor but slower than ROAR legal 19T

I haven't tried the new 4.5T motor but from what I hear it is in the 6-7T range.

In comparing brushed & brushless motor system I would say that the brushless system have the advantages of almost zero maintenance, lower long term cost, more consistent power, less heat, longer run time.

Brushes motor system have the advantages of less weight, available in higher faster variants, and more advanced speedo tech.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

At the recent 12th European Championships, the top three ran brushed - so maybe not as good in 4-cell.

Biggest problem I have with brushless is that every month there is another motor to buy to be competitive - and they're big $$$$. I could have bought a truck-load of brushes, armatures and lathes for the cost of keeping up with the latest brushless motors. Then I'd have one fresh armature for every race, and wouldn't need my lathe, or so much time for rebuilds between heats!!

I'm an old-fashioned racer who likes to tune their motor for the circuit, and brushless is too fixed in that respect. Also, I'm not very good on computers, so I won't be able to tune my speedo so well when this method comes out.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:05 AM   #18
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

its the speed controllers that will constantly be updated, new software, smaller more powerful components. $$$$$$$$$$$$
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #19
Tech Legend

Sense when is grinding a com after each run, then soldering a new set of brush`s on the end-bell consider "Tuning" ?
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Hey guys, I just installed my 4.5 Brushless system in my car. Im going to try it out hopefully soon. One thing you need to do with the ESC is to have a sufficient amount of airflow to keep the ESC cooler. Have enough room around it and mount it a little off the chassis to get some air flow. Im also going to add a fan or two to keep the motor cool as well. The brushed motors have more of a punchy feel, but overall the brushless system is more consistant, and it has a higher top speed. So if you drive smooth and consistant then you'll be fine, or even if you dont. Also you may want to be a little smoother on throttle to help keep the motor and esc run cooler as well. If any of you have an RDX with this system in it, please post a pic of you setup with your electronics. Mines a little cramped.
Hope this helps you out.

"Nobody does it better"

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Good discussion and good replies by all, but has anyone noticed the different feel the brushless motors have vs the brushed. It is hard to describe, but the brushless motors feel more mechanical, where as the brushed motor feels more flexible and natural in it delivery of power and braking. I may not have enough time with my system, or maybe need to adjust my ESC. I currently have a Novak GTB / 5.5. If anyone has expirenced the same I would be interested to hear your comments, or if someone can give me setup suggestions to help my brushless feel more like my brushed motor, I would appreciate that too.
I have my 5.5 setup to the default profile, ie. calibrate to the radio. then customize the drag brake to 30%, and the minimum drive to the third setting. I have found that this is the best setup for me on the 5.5, The added drag brake helps slow the car down similar to a brush motor, and the minimum drive gives very good feel coming off of the turns.
Hope this helps.
btw, make sure you are counting the flashes when customizing the settings, I wasted 2-3 runs thinking I was making a setting change from scratch, when really it adds on to what the setting allready was.
FSEARA - Top Photon - Jacks Hobbies
dbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #22
Tech Adept

One word, BRUSHLESS. I ran my 4.5 for the first time today in the T2 and it was smoking fast. They actually had radar at the end of the straight and me and another guy both were running 46 mph. Pretty dam fast to me! I'm sold now.
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #23
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Looks like I'll be purchasing a brushless system right away, instead of going with the brushed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mcrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #24
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

QUOTE] between Brushless which one more powerful of these two,
any comparison between LMT5300+U-Force 75 and LRP BL?[/QUOTE]

the lehner 5300 will have more midrange torque and power. The LRP will be better off the line since it is sensored. The top speed will be close since you will be able to get the 5300 high to get more speed. I run the U-force with a Plettenberg Shadow it it runs very nicely, atleast as fast as a 7 turn. Just needs a fan on the ESC for all out racing.
Brushes? We don't need no stinking brushes!!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote