How to build a Charger and Equalizer >

How to build a Charger and Equalizer

How to build a Charger and Equalizer

Old 04-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default How to build a Charger and Equalizer

Hi guys!

Anybody here who can assist me in building a quick charger and a battery equalizer?

Thanks Guys!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

I suppose you'll get someone to manufacture a PCB (printed circuit board) for you? If so, its not that compicated... Texas Instruments has a chip that will do it...

I had it in a magazine, let me see if I can dig it up...
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Buying a used charger is way cheaper than building one from scratch. You get a quality checked charger in a nice case. It will save you from a lot of headaches and sleepless night drawing and re-drawing PCB traces.

When you've found a suitable diagram, try looking at the Bill of Materials for everything, from the smallest diodes, to the chassis. Then browse through your local buy and sell forum, compare prices and you'll see what I mean.

The discharge is more suitable/economical as a DIY project though.

PS

You can sell a used commercial charger if ever you decide to upgrade/quit/whatever. A DIY charger will be harder to sell
Old 04-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ahhh yes, but building stuff is more fun. Both TI and Maxim make peak detection circuits. You will also need a basic feedback circuit to do the constant current part of the charger and the discharger. This page has useful stuff

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/gadgets.htm

and this one

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/circuits.htm
Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most of us on here don't have the ability to access complicated test equipment to build or test these designs so they will work correctly. What we all want is the circuit for a Novak Smart tray that we can build for $200 and have the pride to say we built it ouselves with no help. Might look like shit BUT I made it. I think that is the basis for the original question.
I have a design for a battery equaliser BUT it uses diodes to cutoff voltage at around about 0.6v. This will kill IB cells and is not very accurate for GP's.
Any one have something better???