R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #1456
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jarkkom

Lets wait and see how the lower deck differs from the original.

I think that it's possible to 'simulate' the MS version (same with the 416) top deck flex with the original top deck using O-rings between the steering post screws and top deck and on the back with the motor mount screws. Just like the AE TC5 guys did. I might give it a try when I have some time to fiddle around with it.

My asphalt setup is still in the works (ran mighty 4 packs with it) and our first outdoor national race is on tomorrow so I hope I'll get the car dialed in. On carpet it was very good, maybe not aggressive enough but I'll get to that later. I race it on the 8.5r spec class with 5 cells. Oh, and I use Tweaksten spool up front and also a steel made front propeller axle eliminating some slop.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #1457
Tech Adept

The EVO.5MS looks hot. Nice for Stock and Spec (19T) racing I am sure, but for the money I'll keep my hopped up EVO.4 for Tarmac racing...
Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #1458
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarkkom View Post
Lets wait and see how the lower deck differs from the original.

I think that it's possible to 'simulate' the MS version (same with the 416) top deck flex with the original top deck using O-rings between the steering post screws and top deck and on the back with the motor mount screws. Just like the AE TC5 guys did. I might give it a try when I have some time to fiddle around with it.

My asphalt setup is still in the works (ran mighty 4 packs with it) and our first outdoor national race is on tomorrow so I hope I'll get the car dialed in. On carpet it was very good, maybe not aggressive enough but I'll get to that later. I race it on the 8.5r spec class with 5 cells. Oh, and I use Tweaksten spool up front and also a steel made front propeller axle eliminating some slop.

Hm. Is also a thing to try out. And in the screws on the front, rear gearbox and the center post are shimmed slightley?

Please share your setup with us! It interrests me because maybe i ran my car also in 5cell 9,5BL series hosted by LRP.

I never tried 5cell right now. How is the handling instead of 6 cells ? I think you are running the battery also forward like most of the drivers do or?

And how are you run the rollcenter on tarmac. Do you use any shims under the blocks, or are you run them without?

Greetings, Blueman
Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #1459
Tech Regular

Hy!

I found another pic of the Evo5MS, where other details of the changes are come out!

The holes for the steering are defenitly new, so you need the upper and the lower deck if you want to convert a Evo5 to an MS.

Alos the steering "link" (where the balls are mounted on is flipped over, to the normal 5ér and there are more shims under it like onthe last 415 and the 416 cars. Seems this will work better.

The gearboxes are defenitly the same, and now i think the motor mount is now opend on the upper side. If this is useful for spur change? Maybee.

I think that also the damperbridges have a new design, but only in their shape. Dont think that the mounting holes are different.

Oh yes, one little thing i forget. The Air Duct!

Maybee the lower deck is also a bit thinner now. This would be an advantage for sure in my opinion.

By the way, have done a 2īnd place in our TamiyaCup today with my old
TB02R Boy! in A-mains where 8 Ta05īs and IFSīs and 2 TB02R. We have done 2īnd and 4īth.

Greetings Blueman
Old 05-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #1460
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy!

I found another pic of the Evo5MS, where other details of the changes are come out!

The holes for the steering are defenitly new, so you need the upper and the lower deck if you want to convert a Evo5 to an MS.

Alos the steering "link" (where the balls are mounted on is flipped over, to the normal 5ér and there are more shims under it like onthe last 415 and the 416 cars. Seems this will work better.

The gearboxes are defenitly the same, and now i think the motor mount is now opend on the upper side. If this is useful for spur change? Maybee.

I think that also the damperbridges have a new design, but only in their shape. Dont think that the mounting holes are different.

Oh yes, one little thing i forget. The Air Duct!

Maybee the lower deck is also a bit thinner now. This would be an advantage for sure in my opinion.

By the way, have done a 2īnd place in our TamiyaCup today with my old
TB02R Boy! in A-mains where 8 Ta05īs and IFSīs and 2 TB02R. We have done 2īnd and 4īth.

Greetings Blueman
Forgett to post the link of the picture.

http://www.geocities.jp/hobby_show_a...a2008/0113.htm

There are also pics from all other new cars and parts (TB03, TA05IFS-R, ....)
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #1461
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The TB03 is as I had suspected. Can you say EVO VI?! In typical Tamiya fashion, I would expect to see an EVO VI in about a year or less as a TRF version of the TB03.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #1462
Tech Adept

Just wondering. Has anyone try putting a diff in front? How's it compare to the one-way?
chumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #1463
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnfx View Post
The TB03 is as I had suspected. Can you say EVO VI?! In typical Tamiya fashion, I would expect to see an EVO VI in about a year or less as a TRF version of the TB03.
The TB03 is a stock Ev05. It uses the same gears, and the anounced hopup parts are the Evo5 shaft, oneway, aludiff, ...
An "R" version will came definitly.

An Evo6 will be a new car. But i think this depends how succsesfull the Evo5MS will be.
The normal Evo5 is now for over 2 years on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumanji View Post
Just wondering. Has anyone try putting a diff in front? How's it compare to the one-way?
I have an assambled diff in my pitbox, but never tried yet. Always run the oneway or a spool.
Another driver with an Evo5 often use it on carpet.

Greetings Blueman
Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #1464
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to GuyIsDamGood

Hey Evo 5 Guys

I have to say sorry to the Evo 5 for what I`ve said earlier.
-I was having a Steering problem due to wrongly measured Steering Turnbuckles(I measured them a little off because I rushed the build).
-There was still a little Torque Steer until I started running the car twice a week this Spring(I guess I had to break it in).
-Now the only problem is one of the Bearings in the Rear Upright are loose fitted.....(I`ve never crashed the car/kit.). . . . .It`s not a major problem; it still runs well.
-My Evo 5 can somewhat keep up with My Pro 4(The Shelf King).

I thought Tamiya was done with Top Shaft Drive Kits. . . . .I`ve read(on the Tamiya USA site) there will be a Evo 5 MS kit soon. Here we go again.....Ha Ha!
-I hope this Evo 5 MS has a Spool.

- -AND.....Yes; a TT-01 with a Good Driver can somewhat hang with the good kits.
-AND AGAIN; slomo.....if you live in or near the New York City area.....We can meet at the Floyd Bennett Track in Brooklyn(we can set-up a date -Weekday Evenings-..... or we can meet at Nagengast Hobbies they KNOW Me well. They`ll tell you what I have and how I race.
- - - - -You Have a TB Evo 0.....Ha Ha!(I like to have Fun).

Take Care

Last edited by GuyIsDamGood; 05-28-2008 at 11:34 AM.
GuyIsDamGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #1465
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to GuyIsDamGood
Default 2 Ball Diffs - Always

If no Front Spool; you have to use 2 Ball Diffs.
-My Opinion: the 1-way makes me drive the car softer because of the lack of Brakes on a Tight Track. . . . . . . . .I like to slow down as much as I can when needed and a 1-Way can`t help with that.
-I use 2 Ball Diffs in My Evo 5 until Tamiya makes a Spool.

Last edited by GuyIsDamGood; 05-28-2008 at 11:35 AM.
GuyIsDamGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1466
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood View Post
If no Front Spool; you have to use 2 Ball Diffs.
-My Opinion: the 1-way makes me drive the car softer because of the lack of Brakes on a Tight Track. . . . . . . . .I like to slow down as much as I can when needed and a 1-Way can`t help with that.
-I use 2 Ball Diffs in My Evo 5 until Tamiya makes a Spool.
Hy !

Try this out ! Works great!

Posted at page 42 already :

Hy there.

For those who are interested to fit a spool in your Evo5:

The Evo 4 Spool from Tamiya will fit with a little mod perfectly in the Evo5.

The problem is that the gap between Ringgear and the beavelgear is to smal.
It works, but it dosent run smooth.

You have to sand of about 3-4 tenns from the aluminium part of the spool where the ring gear is attached. Then there is enugh play at the gears that they run so smooth like the onway does.

A second little hint is to use the 415MRE spool outdrives. They are more durable as the black ones from the Evo4 Spool.

I will look if i can make a picture of it, and post it here.

Greetings Blueman
Old 05-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #1467
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jarkkom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Please share your setup with us! It interrests me because maybe i ran my car also in 5cell 9,5BL series hosted by LRP.
Sorry for the delay, I've been very busy lately. I finally installed the 416 steering blocks because of the bigger bearings and they do change the steering geometry a slight bit. Gonna run them tomorrow...

If you have time please try 'my' setup and let me know how it feels. If it is turning too much, reduce the dual rate on your radio first..

PS. TOMMYW, maybe you should start selling those Evo5 option parts
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB Evolution V-evo5jm17508.jpg  

Last edited by jarkkom; 05-30-2008 at 03:34 PM.
jarkkom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #1468
Tech Regular

Thx for posting the setup.

What do you mean with 3mm shim under the steering block?
Ackermann spacer is 0mm in the sheet.

do you shim the ball nut where the turnbuckle from the servo horn is mounted?

The shims under the blocks i also havent tries yet. Always runned it overal 1mm up. This shoild make the front smoother, and the rear more stable right?

You use the inner hole of the steering knuckles too. I also nevver tried.
My initial setup is quite simmilar, dapers, castor, chamber. But i think yours my be an improvement at the right points.

I try it asap. Very busy at the moment because of the upcoming UEFA Euro 08 here in Vienna........

Greetings Blueman
Old 05-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #1469
Tech Apprentice

With 'Steering Block' Jarkko means 'Front Upright' => in the setup there is a 3mm shim between ball connector and front upright => this sets steering link into more optimal position to disable 'bump-steering'.

Jarkko: a great business-idea, but due to size and power of my lathe and milling machine I think I'll just keep on supplying you and me
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #1470
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Pijjetrf

Hi all
I have finally got my evo up and running Hi Blueman hope the photos below are what you were thinking of finding as i have just fitted my spool today and tuck some pics. Though i didn't have to shim it at all I also used the trf415 outdrives as well. Will have to try and get up my track tomorrow and give it a spin Also have added some pics of the rear as i have not seen anyone using the pro modular setup on a evo but it seems to work good on my local track had to fit a 415 anti roll bar though
hope this help anybody and give us a shout if wanting anymore info
cherrs paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB Evolution V-img_0710-medium-.jpg   Tamiya TB Evolution V-img_0711-medium-.jpg   Tamiya TB Evolution V-img_0712-medium-.jpg   Tamiya TB Evolution V-img_0713-medium-.jpg   Tamiya TB Evolution V-img_0714-medium-.jpg  

Pijjetrf is offline   Reply With Quote