R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #811
Tech Regular

thanks for the info wotcars, and the track layout!

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
RocketRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #812
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to wotcars

no probs let me know how you find it
wotcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #813
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey all,

Quick pic to show you how I'm getting my Evo ready for the Carpet Wars in a few weeks, stiffening it up a bit (the holes are in the chassis and top deck btw). Already feels a stiffer when twisting by hand (a bit subjective.. but hey).
Also fitted some of the H0 rear hubs to the car as well, should aid forward traction, and rear end grip.

Still working towards a dialed setup, car still has a tendancy to snap out on the rear into slow corners, but at the same doesnt have enough high-speed on power steering.... only one club meet left before round one, so gotta make it count. Plenty of things to try, I have ideas on what I can do, any one else want to throw some in?

Oh and followed Mr Jun's advice on the Tamiya USA website, happily got the drivetrain spinning for 15seconds after a quick spin, and it's only get freeer as the new bearings start to break in more.

Cheers
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB Evolution V-dscf0024.jpg   Tamiya TB Evolution V-dscf0074.jpg  
Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #814
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRacer
i guess that's the price you pay for racing a $350 chassis in a parking lot!
You know what, you are an arrogant prick! Not every racetrack in the world is perfectly made! That being said, if one does spend some serious money on a car, then the car should be able to handle "less than optimal" conditions. What do you suggest, by a $100 car and be competitive?!? Amazing how people like you talk about expensive cars and how they should be "handled with care". If you dont have anything constructive to say or any GOOD advice to give, shut your pie-hole and carry on! Jerk-off!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #815
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like you have gone the long mile with your ride there Ed.

Question to the peeps, on your rear propeller once you have completely built and assembled it, how much slop do you have? Currently I have about 1-2mm of play and am curious to know if I should add a 1mm spacer and then shim from there on, or is there meant to be that amount of play? If I am to add the spacer and shim it, must I put it with the other 3x 3x2mm spacers that sit before you attach your center cup?

Thanks in advance.
Nautilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #816
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

drive train spinning with or without wheels?
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #817
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
drive train spinning with or without wheels?
Without.
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #818
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

then what are you holding onto to "spin" the drive train?
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #819
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default spin

probably spinning the drive shaft
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #820
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ed,

Try running a roll bar on the rear (or a heavier one if you're running one).

I found that with the rear bar on, the car tends to be more stable entering slow corners, and as soon as I took it off the back started to step out into the corner.

Plus you will gain more exit steering with the rear bar on.
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #821
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
You know what, you are an arrogant prick! Not every racetrack in the world is perfectly made! That being said, if one does spend some serious money on a car, then the car should be able to handle "less than optimal" conditions. What do you suggest, by a $100 car and be competitive?!? Amazing how people like you talk about expensive cars and how they should be "handled with care". If you dont have anything constructive to say or any GOOD advice to give, shut your pie-hole and carry on! Jerk-off!
whoopsie! seems like i hit a nerve there. i meant no harm by what i said, so i don't see the need for you to take that tone and resort to childish name calling. but hey, whatever floats your boat!

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
Old 11-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #822
Tech Master

Quote:
whoopsie! seems like i hit a nerve there. i meant no harm by what i said, so i don't see the need for you to take that tone and resort to childish name calling. but hey, whatever floats your boat!
Not just you, but every other "I only race on prepped surfaces, so why dont you" types. At the costs of this hobby, todays cars should be able to withstand many surfaces, not just prepped racetracks. And when people make comments like yours, you give the implication that the car is delicate. So yes, you hit a nerve. Childish, not at all. Least I didnt use a word like "whoopsie".....now that is a lil moist. You pretty caught me at a moment when I read an answer on another forum similar to yours. Stiffen your upper lip, buck up. You a big boy, you can handle it. Or do you need optimal conditions to perform????

Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 PM   #823
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Not just you, but every other "I only race on prepped surfaces, so why dont you" types. At the costs of this hobby, todays cars should be able to withstand many surfaces, not just prepped racetracks. And when people make comments like yours, you give the implication that the car is delicate. So yes, you hit a nerve. Childish, not at all. Least I didnt use a word like "whoopsie".....now that is a lil moist. You pretty caught me at a moment when I read an answer on another forum similar to yours. Stiffen your upper lip, buck up. You a big boy, you can handle it. Or do you need optimal conditions to perform????
that is true, i do only race on prepped surfaces, so that i don't have to come in here whining that my chassis is picking up rocks and dirt! hey if that's the case, why don't we just abandon the effort and time it takes to make a track and just race in the street, so that we can f%$k up our chassis properly! off course i think that the high end chassis of nowadays can withstand some abuse, i don't however expect it to run well after getting thrashed about in a parking lot!! "less than optimal conditions" would require a "less than optimal chassis" looks like you need a TT01, not an Evo 5!

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
Old 11-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #824
Tech Master

Quote:
that is true, i do only race on prepped surfaces, so that i don't have to come in here whining that my chassis is picking up rocks and dirt! hey if that's the case, why don't we just abandon the effort and time it takes to make a track and just race in the street, so that we can f%$k up our chassis properly! off course i think that the high end chassis of nowadays can withstand some abuse, i don't however expect it to run well after getting thrashed about in a parking lot!! "less than optimal conditions" would require a "less than optimal chassis" looks like you need a TT01, not an Evo 5!
I actually dont have that problem. I was speaking on behalf of someone else who said they get rocks in their belts. Your arrogant comments wrought the benefit of my tongue lashing. Personally, I could give a hoot less about tamiya vehicles. No parts support here in nyc, so they mean diddly to me. In case you didnt read my signature, I run both belt and shaft, dont suffer from debris in the drivetrain and if I were to travel to your raggedy part of the planet, would run circles around you at your home track. But, thats neither here nor there. Carry on.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #825
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default Rocket

the EVO V group is a small and dedicated group...if you check it's mostly the same guys helping each other out..and every now and then someone joins in because they just got an EVO V (one of the best cars out there) and guess what 3 months from now that person will be giving the same advice to a new comer to the thread. And if anyone is curious...the EVO V is the weapon of choice for Super Stock racing in other parts of the world...car can out handle anything pitted against it..and out pull any car...last time i checked....Tamiya always places it's new innovations/parts on the EVO series before it even gets placed on the 415 series.....i.e., arms...TRF shocks, TRF sway bars, the MRE steering first on EVO V, DJ suspension first on EVO IV, short arms on EVO, last steering assembly on EVO IV before on the 415.

and like most of the racers yes ...check around...we don't like to spend money to get the CF all scuffed shredded or torn apart by track surface...mucho $$$$ or have a pebble rip the drivetrain apart...even more $$$ I've had to throw a car away because of that.
most guys that run on rough surfaces don't spend $300 for a chassis..they get a TA05 or a TC4 or a used Pro4 or a Cyclone S something in that price range...
Most of most guys that run asphalt who buy T2 007, Mi2Ec, 415 MSX or Cyclones, etc...don't go in the local parking lot to race..they drive a hour or two to race on prepped and smooth surfaces.

I've been to quite a number of tracks around the states...and you'll see most racers running either chassis protector or they just run a scrap chassis...when running on rough surfaces.

.02 cents ....now back to EVO V
how are you guys finding the car on med traction carpet?

Last edited by olhipster1; 11-08-2006 at 12:15 AM.
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote