Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 AM   #631
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
don`t mean to be a arse with my reply
i had a evo 4 for ages done 1 bevel gear that`s it
it`s all in the shimming my man

as for my evo 5 raced at benfleet with the sarfend guy`s one block broke he`s cyclone by hitting the same corner in a chicane mine just bounced off
maybe it`s because there is a bit of play in the sus bit`s ,thus takes impact better

never had a problem ,had more things go wrong with me cyclone then this evo 5
hi jolly i was just curious have you ever had a hard crash, head-on with your evo 5? just trying to work out if the new evo 5 gears are holding up with hard impact, as i've been told with hard head-on impacts theres a chance the small pinion gear will strip.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 AM   #632
agp
Tech Adept

Quote:
are the car wheels of the ground ??
nope.
agp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #633
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainTeased
hi jolly i was just curious have you ever had a hard crash, head-on with your evo 5? just trying to work out if the new evo 5 gears are holding up with hard impact, as i've been told with hard head-on impacts theres a chance the small pinion gear will strip.
Ive had a few big impacts with my evo, hard enough to move the motor and strip a spur... but I'm still on my original front Bevel and pinion. Shimmed right, there aint an issue.

HiH
Ed
Old 09-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #634
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
Ive had a few big impacts with my evo, hard enough to move the motor and strip a spur... but I'm still on my original front Bevel and pinion. Shimmed right, there aint an issue.

HiH
Ed
thanks tryhard

yea thats what i thought as well with correct shimming it should hold up a good as the evo 4 gears. but he insisted that he shimmed it very well and emphasised that the small pinion diff gears are the ones that get damaged during hard impacts.

only way to find out is first hand exprience my new evo 5 kit should arrive within 2 days cant wait to build it
Old 09-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #635
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
the other night i was driving like a arse all eve
battery came out 3 times ,smacked loads of other cars in the side ,in my side in to square track making
nothing atall .lucky this time maybe ,but the evo 4/5 only thing i changed was from 64dp to 48dp
shaft & 64 don`t go in my book

Edd going to try 1.5mm shims under the blocks on thurs eve, going to try it coz that other poster (dragonfire) is laughing at us
so i will get it a whirl
droop is 6 front / 5 rear now x-ray dark blue front/ blue rear 50 wt 3 hole allround
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #636
Tech Regular

my first chewed bevel gear, funny thing is that i can't remember an impact that would have caused this. but anyway, i just slipped a new one in. pic is not too clear cell phone pic.

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
RocketRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #637
Tech Master

has anyone had to replace a spur yet? lol if so how long did it take? its stupid how they designed the new bulkheads without the 2 piece input shaft housing like the evo 4's

but i truely cant wait to see the lap times on this car once i finish building it that is
Old 09-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #638
Tech Regular

i see some people still asking about stripped bevel gears.... but isn't the one-piece bulkhead plus the floating shaft supposed to eliminate that from happening??
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #639
Tech Champion

Quote:
has anyone had to replace a spur yet? lol if so how long did it take? its stupid how they designed the new bulkheads without the 2 piece input shaft housing like the evo 4's

but i truely cant wait to see the lap times on this car once i finish building it that is
It's not too difficult, i've got it down to less than five minutes now.
Method I use is...
1) remove top deck
2) remove centre shaft (you can just squeeze it out if you remove the UJ link at the front)
3) take the pin out of the rear drive cup, and undo motor bulkhead, sliding off the rear inut shaft.
4) Loosen the lower rear bulkhead screws (allows you to remove the spur without it hitting the chassis plate)
5) Slid off the spur mount, change the spur
6) Reverse the process.

Sounds complicates, but after you've done it a few times, not really difficult.

HiH
Ed
Old 09-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #640
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum
i see some people still asking about stripped bevel gears.... but isn't the one-piece bulkhead plus the floating shaft supposed to eliminate that from happening??

hitting things on power, things move. I have not stripped one but I took a chunk out of one
drew85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:35 AM   #641
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
It's not too difficult, i've got it down to less than five minutes now.
Method I use is...
1) remove top deck
2) remove centre shaft (you can just squeeze it out if you remove the UJ link at the front)
3) take the pin out of the rear drive cup, and undo motor bulkhead, sliding off the rear inut shaft.
4) Loosen the lower rear bulkhead screws (allows you to remove the spur without it hitting the chassis plate)
5) Slid off the spur mount, change the spur
6) Reverse the process.

Sounds complicates, but after you've done it a few times, not really difficult.

HiH
Ed
thanks ed

yea i realised that last nite trying to figure out the shortest / fastest method of changing a spur.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #642
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Default on going setup`s

I am gone back to kit setup ,because i have completly lost the plot for this car
went on thurs eve up agaainst the big boy`s & was 1.5 sec a lap down

went to hard on springs by a long shot (x-ray dark blue )
just need blue or even just the white`s other wise the car just glide`s around with no consintencey in grip level from one corner to another

so back to basic`s
other then these bit`s
50wt front /45wt rear (oil)
x-ray blue front & x-ray white rear

even gone back to the 1D & 1XA 1E blocks , taken off the evo 4 ones

this is so embarrising owning up to this Mess
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #643
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Keep us posted on your setups, i cannot race for the next 8 months due to work... seeing all these different setups and the results from them makes me feel like I am still with my car
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:05 AM   #644
Tech Champion

Colin... you checked your tyres aren't knackered? I know your a tight wad and all

I've been running Xray Blue/ Light Blue on mine... does feel a little too stiff, especially for a flowing track. Try just the front roll bar as well, should help.

Ed
Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 AM   #645
Tech Master

Quote:
the other night i was driving like a arse all eve
battery came out 3 times ,smacked loads of other cars in the side ,in my side in to square track making
nothing atall .lucky this time maybe ,but the evo 4/5 only thing i changed was from 64dp to 48dp
shaft & 64 don`t go in my book

Edd going to try 1.5mm shims under the blocks on thurs eve, going to try it coz that other poster (dragonfire) is laughing at us
so i will get it a whirl
droop is 6 front / 5 rear now x-ray dark blue front/ blue rear 50 wt 3 hole allround

Lolly if you drive like a whack and then complain that the car's not handling well anymore i suggest checking your hinge pins for bent ones, even slightly bent they make the car feel a real mess. To check simply turn them while in the wishbone, if you feel a hard spot it's bent and needs replacing.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote