Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB Evolution V >

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Old 08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bender, another thing to try is moving the steering link to the forward hole on the steering knuckle.... I noticed a reduction in steering by moving to the back one on my MRE this weekend (it uses the front hole as std).

Basically it'll increase your ackerman, more intital steering, if a little less mid-corner.

HiH
Ed
Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Shimming???

I'm building my EvoV at the moment and I'm at the part where I am shimming the rear gearbox. At first I shimmed per the instructions but, once I installed the gearbox on the rear chassis, I noticed some play and added some more shims.

My question is, what should I look for to ensure that I have properly shimmed?

I built my EvoIV and shimmed that per the instruction manual. It's drivetrain is free but, I built that 2 years ago and don't remember if I did anything special. I've been running my 415 for the past 2 years and now will be placing more attention to the EvoV.

Thanks in advance,

RR
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Shimming (because each car is slightly different) will be different. So I think it really comes down to your own judgement...

I am using 5x shims in the front and 5x in the rear shim. Since I didn't have any extra shims.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I am using 5x shims in the front and 5x in the rear shim. Since I didn't have any extra shims.
That's what I have at the moment also. It seems that I can add 1 more shim. My question I guess is... Should the shims make it tight? meaning the spur gear doesn't move forward or back at all? currently, my spur gear can move forward and back about the size of 2 shims.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It will still move since the spur gear mount is only hold by a pin and not a grub screw like the other shaft cars which locks it in place. Not sure how many shims I have but the drivetrain rolls about 7 seconds with rubbers on them.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

for me the question is:

is it really important have a little bit of play?

i dont think it is so important
Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

i would almost always support a little bit of play in any car... if there is no play... when there is a crash... the forces will cause something in the car to break for sure... also... wear on things such as gears will also increase noticably.

the only place i think zero play (and therefore increased wear and tear to those gears) is the gears inside the front bulkhead and rear bulkhead. Because if they have any play... they tend to strip very easily during a crash.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Runin Ronin
currently, my spur gear can move forward and back about the size of 2 shims.
I would suggest that that is too much end-float. You should be able to have the gear adaptor set up so that it doesn't move forwards or backwards at all, and yet isn't tight either - You should still be able to "rock" the spur gear assembly slightly becasue of how it is mounted with a pin (as Danjoy said).

For the gears on the input shafts, you dont want any forwards or backwards movement, as it will vary the gear mesh with the diff gears, plus it will effect how deep the input shaft gear fits into the diff gears.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Incidently, I'm in the middle of rebuilding mine now, and boy is there a lot of grit in the rear gearbox

I generally race on a fairly dusty track and it seems to have found it's way into the gearbox due to the relatively poor fitting gearbox covers.

I hope Tamiya release an improved version because I thoughtgoing to a shaft drive would involve less drivetrain maintenance, not more
Old 08-16-2006, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bender
Incidently, I'm in the middle of rebuilding mine now, and boy is there a lot of grit in the rear gearbox

I generally race on a fairly dusty track and it seems to have found it's way into the gearbox due to the relatively poor fitting gearbox covers.

I hope Tamiya release an improved version because I thoughtgoing to a shaft drive would involve less drivetrain maintenance, not more
You can seal the gearbox with tape. This prevent dust is getting in.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Tech Regular

I have been away playing with real cars but as im booked into a meeting on the 27th i thought it's about time i finished building my EVO V , anything i should watch out for ? what sort of weight shock oil for a low grip outdoors track ?

Anyone used there EVO V in the UK at the stafford track ? if so got any setup tips ?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Initiate

I've used 4mm tape to close the gap between bulkhead and gearcovers. Later I'll probably add a thin strip of plastic on each side of the covers for a more permanent solution.

On the left the gap is visible as 4 light vertical stripes. On the right I added the tape (white tape on eiter side of cover).

Alwin.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK I FINALLY GOT MY EVO 5. Im ready to call in sick the next 2 days to finish it, however im not. I am going to take the time to fine tune it all instead of throwing it together.I have decided that this will be my race car(ill have to travel to do it but need to justify the price of the hobby).

Anyone have any building tips other than shimming, de-greasing the bearings and the tape idea above? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Also i live in Delaware and we dont have any local tracks. BALTIMORE & PHILLY about 3/4 hour away. Dont mind traveling a little further. Anyone have any good places (for a 25 year old novice) to start racing.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

going to pick up my Evo V tomorrow....
Old 08-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

finally....i have one!!!!

Last edited by RocketRacer; 08-24-2006 at 03:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.