trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #197
Tech Regular

trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:34 AM   #198
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

This baby looks mean!

Unfortunately... changing spur gear is a bich... from the looks of this...

the blue bling is awesome.

But i don't mind the spur gear problem so much... i am just hoping gears last a while... pllllllssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #199
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

my evo 4 black gears no prob`s
i use 64dp spur`s on mine so i don`t have to change spurs that much ,but then if you know which track your going to you proberly know which ratio your after before you get there

stripped a bevel 2 weeks ago (i spaced it to far one side , so flattened one bit under heavey braking )

but other then that it is not loud (as berger keeps saying) My LCG is louder then my evo 4
but hey hoe got a 5 coming so !! here`s to the good time`s
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #200
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
i am so hoping u are right.....

i hate replacing gears............

wonder how awesome those aluminum ones will be

leave the ally ones out
nothing wrong with the black plastic ones
just make sure you space them right in the first place

i like the centre shaft have a UJ at one end , i suspect that has taken alot of slop away from front to rear drive train
Old 05-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #201
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
i like the centre shaft have a UJ at one end , i suspect that has taken alot of slop away from front to rear drive train
That may be a weak point of the car too. Pin will wear out on the aluminium holder and there will be more slop in the drivetrain. Not to mention the replacement cost.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #202
Tech Elite

i dunno!! the front wheel drive shaft`s hold up pretty well considering the steering angles they have to go through & all the crap they get from the front wheels
Old 05-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #203
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

well... looking at thoose pics... it's gonna be a stunner.
Some interesting things from thoose pics.
1) The new arms only have 4 shock mounting holes... wonder which one they have done away with (inner most or outer most)
2) looks like the base setup will be D/D on the front, and XA/E (so 3deg toe) on the rear... good thing I've order some more blocks
3) really like the idea of the cv joint for the centre shaft... seems so simple
4) how is the complete car gonna fit in that box! still use my 415 one to carry my msx around (2years old now that box)

Ed
Old 05-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #204
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
4) how is the complete car gonna fit in that box! still use my 415 one to carry my msx around (2years old now that box)
That's a nice thing about the 415 boxes - they are big enough for a body, so are big enough to pack the car around in. As far was I know all the Evo boxes have been flat and square, bit like a pizza box. No idea why Tamiya has two box sizes. The small parts box from the Evo kits does make a good spare parts box.

I don't suppose the diffs would work in a Evo IV wold they?
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #205
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

will the steering bell crank get stuck by rock? when runing out door due to too low the position is very near to chassis
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #206
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
how is the complete car gonna fit in that box! still use my 415 one to carry my msx around (2years old now that box)

Ed

Well none of the EVO's i have had so far have been able to be carried in its box when built, the EVO is for the hard core shaft drive racer and not your pampered belt drive racers lol .
Old 06-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #207
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_racer
Those black bevel pinion gears and ring gears are actually stong. On my EVO4, I have not stirpped one of them yet and my car is two months to two years old. I bet you those white gears are bad because they don't have fibre to reinforce it.
Running mod, my evo IV would eat bevel gears all the time ( and yes they were shimed properly). If the white plastic is delrin like that used for the 415 diff outdrives it would be much stronger than the black shit. This is such a beautifully chassis, and the bevel gears are such an important part of the drive train, it deserves the best materials for these gears out of the box. I always hated how my evo IV sounded like a coffee grinder after a couple of runs on new gears.
414play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:26 AM   #208
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414play
Running mod, my evo IV would eat bevel gears all the time ( and yes they were shimed properly). If the white plastic is delrin like that used for the 415 diff outdrives it would be much stronger than the black shit. This is such a beautifully chassis, and the bevel gears are such an important part of the drive train, it deserves the best materials for these gears out of the box. I always hated how my evo IV sounded like a coffee grinder after a couple of runs on new gears.

I think you have done something wrong.

I'm racing (mod) the EVO IV since it's first release (june 2004) and never changed the gears. And it still sounds like a belt driven car.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #209
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C van der Hagen
I think you have done something wrong.

I'm racing (mod) the EVO IV since it's first release (june 2004) and never changed the gears. And it still sounds like a belt driven car.
same here...i ran my Evo IV since march 2005. mod class with a Tamiya Dyna Run motor 13x2, the car was very smooth and silent. i just got my Evo IV MS and haven't run it yet, i expect it to be just as good if not better...

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
RocketRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 AM   #210
Tech Adept

Maybe I got the shiming wrong, but every other evo IV racer at the tracks I race had the same problems, most of us went back to belt cars.
414play is offline   Reply With Quote