R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #1966
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,639
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You guys have upgraded the Evo V to Evo VII status already, so Tamiya's Evo VI won't matter at all........
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Wish Tamiya would come out with an Evo VI....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #1967
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
You guys have upgraded the Evo V to Evo VII status already, so Tamiya's Evo VI won't matter at all........
The problem is that I never bought the Evo V or the Exotek kit for it. I only have the Evo IV. I'd like to see an Evo VI with narrow chassis and new 418 suspension. If I could find a mint condition Evo V and Exotek chassis I might go for it. Oh well... Maybe I'll see if 3Racing comes out with a narrow chassis for the TB04. I'm sure they would build a better motor mount.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #1968
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,639
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The only concern with the Evo V to me is weight.... If you stay under 1410grams, you're light enough to take on the competition... The chassis is thin enough: it looks to be under 100mm wide and very sturdy.... I say it's up to the driver at this point.... Lots of Pro4's have been beating newer designs, and so can the EVO V.... Parts though are another matter....lol...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #1969
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
Default

My Evo V has a weight of 1320g with a heat sink on the engine.
But the driver...

Do you have any problems with the Lipo touching the top deck? I think, there is not much space.

@ JoeyE
Isn't the rear shaft, with the bevel gear, touching the gear diff? I had to shorten it a little bit.
JanTRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #1970
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 226
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
The problem is that I never bought the Evo V or the Exotek kit for it. I only have the Evo IV. I'd like to see an Evo VI with narrow chassis and new 418 suspension. If I could find a mint condition Evo V and Exotek chassis I might go for it. Oh well... Maybe I'll see if 3Racing comes out with a narrow chassis for the TB04. I'm sure they would build a better motor mount.
Wasn't Travis S selling his second TB EVO V MS just a couple weeks ago
TenzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #1971
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 226
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTRF View Post
@ JoeyE
Isn't the rear shaft, with the bevel gear, touching the gear diff? I had to shorten it a little bit.
JoeyE has an EVO 5MS, IIRC it's slightly different.
TenzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #1972
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,207
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTRF View Post
My Evo V has a weight of 1320g with a heat sink on the engine.
But the driver...

Do you have any problems with the Lipo touching the top deck? I think, there is not much space.

@ JoeyE
Isn't the rear shaft, with the bevel gear, touching the gear diff? I had to shorten it a little bit.
The rear shaft touch a tiny bit due to the gear diff cover no being perfectly round. There is a high spot. but other tan that, not bad.

My battery fits perfect under the top deck without a problem.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1973
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
Default

Ok, I have the same touch like you. I think after the first run it will fit :-)

And there is no big difference between V and MS gear box. The only difference is the rear shaft and it has the same shiming in both cars.
JanTRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #1974
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,207
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTRF View Post
Ok, I have the same touch like you. I think after the first run it will fit :-)

And there is no big difference between V and MS gear box. The only difference is the rear shaft and it has the same shiming in both cars.
I am running a TB03 spur gear holder. Had to shim it and shave a little off. But it centers the spur pretty good. There are about 5 races on the spur gear holder now and it's holding up pretty well.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #1975
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
Default

Ok, you managed it to use the spool with 40/16.
Do you use the TB03 Spool? I use a Evo IV Spool, that could be my problem.
JanTRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #1976
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,207
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTRF View Post
Ok, you managed it to use the spool with 40/16.
Do you use the TB03 Spool? I use a Evo IV Spool, that could be my problem.
I also use the Evo IV spool. But I use tiny washers to fill the little gap on the gears back side to the spool. Then it sits nice and flat. The washers are tiny.

Last edited by JoeyE; 10-28-2013 at 11:04 PM.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #1977
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
Default

Ok, I will try it again.
JanTRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #1978
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
Default

Ok, it works, but only with the 16T-bevel gears of the Evo.
The bevel gears from the TB04 won't fit in my car.
JanTRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:16 AM   #1979
Tech Apprentice
 
97Clemow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 69
Default

Hi, just did this in the workshop.
Used an Evo 4 17 tooth bevel pinion gear instead of the Evo 5 16 tooth bevel pinion gear to get the internal ratio from 2.437 to 2.294.
Enlarge the center hole of the Evo 4 pinion gear to 3mm with a small round file.
Then finished of the face where the e-clip holds the gear to the input shaft till there was enough clearance to fasten the clip on and re-shimmed the shaft and diff to get normal clearance
The bevel pinion on the left in the pictures is the 17 tooth Evo4.
I'm not sure if this helps anybody out a great deal but fixing up the pinion only takes ten miniutes.



.Tamiya TB Evolution V-pinion1.jpg

Tamiya TB Evolution V-pinion2.jpg

Tamiya TB Evolution V-tb-gear1.jpg

Tamiya TB Evolution V-tb-gear2.jpghtmlIMG]

Last edited by 97Clemow; 11-01-2013 at 01:37 AM.
97Clemow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #1980
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,207
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Clemow View Post
Hi, just did this in the workshop.
Used an Evo 4 17 tooth bevel pinion gear instead of the Evo 5 16 tooth bevel pinion gear to get the internal ratio from 2.437 to 2.294.
Enlarge the center hole of the Evo 4 pinion gear to 3mm with a small round file.
Then finished of the face where the e-clip holds the gear to the input shaft till there was enough clearance to fasten the clip on and re-shimmed the shat and diff to get normal clearance
The bevel pinion on the left in the pictures is the 17 tooth Evo4.
I'm not sure if this helps anybody out a great deal but fixing up the pinion only takes ten miniutes.



.Attachment 1128606

Attachment 1128607

Attachment 1128608

Attachment 1128609htmlIMG]
Thanks for the info~!
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 07:37 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution II (NEW) ivan3721 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 05-18-2008 05:56 PM
FS: Tamiya TB Evolution 5 veecee Australia For Sale/Trade 3 07-20-2007 08:13 PM
tamiya tb evolution 5 b-man777 Electric On-Road 1 05-24-2006 11:38 AM
XXX-S GP VS Tamiya Evolution III capricess Electric On-Road 29 01-27-2003 08:49 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:33 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0