R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #1621
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toh WL View Post
I am running my TB Evo 5 most times onroad. One of the most irritatiing problem is small stones sticking to the 96t 0.4 spur.

Eventually I was thinking of replacing the tamiya spur with Yokomo 98t 64 pitch spur. Yet then replace the pinion with Yokomo 64 pitch also.

What I notice the Tamiya spur are very soft & have short life span. You can bend it very easily. As for Yokomo spur it's much harder with better quality plastic.

Just to enquire, if anyone has used Yokomo spur & pinion? Is it much more durable?
Toh,

Where you always pracise, i need to see you la..to learn about tb05 setup, my car not really perfect setup lor... teach me lor..
zizgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #1622
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
yah.. if you're going to run 17.5.. you need to dremel the rear alum. plate to make room for the pinion sizes required by 17.5

the car is an easy build.. just like most tamiya cars.
You weren't kidding about the gearing. I ended up adding shims under the upper brace. 2mm shims at the 4 screws gave me the room I need to gear properly without breaking out the dremel.

I did dremel the motor mount so I could slide the motor in with screws on it. Wish the piece came like that. I know the Hara Pro4 had a similar mod made to it. Makes it a lot easier to switch motors.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #1623
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
You weren't kidding about the gearing. I ended up adding shims under the upper brace. 2mm shims at the 4 screws gave me the room I need to gear properly without breaking out the dremel.

I did dremel the motor mount so I could slide the motor in with screws on it. Wish the piece came like that. I know the Hara Pro4 had a similar mod made to it. Makes it a lot easier to switch motors.
i just went ahead and dremeled.

im thinking of making a one piece upper deck for this car (evoV MS only). would anyone else be interested to help me off set the cost? PM me. thanks!

- Chris
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #1624
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
i just went ahead and dremeled.

im thinking of making a one piece upper deck for this car (evoV MS only). would anyone else be interested to help me off set the cost? PM me. thanks!

- Chris
How do you plan to design it? Just a more narrow opening for the spur then the upper brace has? Allowing the section that blocks the pinion to be moved further inward?

I'm not familar with the original Evo V but I dont see how the "quick change" makes spur changes any easier. I can't get the assembly out without taking the top deck off and removing the center brace anyway.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #1625
Tech Lord

Quote:
How do you plan to design it? Just a more narrow opening for the spur then the upper brace has? Allowing the section that blocks the pinion to be moved further inward?

I'm not familar with the original Evo V but I dont see how the "quick change" makes spur changes any easier. I can't get the assembly out without taking the top deck off and removing the center brace anyway.
oh TRUST ME... the MS is a quicker change. the original EvoV.. you had to take the upper deck off and the rear bulkhead as well as the entire rear assembly apart just to get to the spur gear holder.

the biggest thing on the MS is the shaft and spur gear holder.. they just slide into each other. that makes its easier.

as for the top deck.. it'll be one piece.. no "wings" since i only race asphalt... and the opening for the spur gear will be smaller (since this will be primarily for 13.5/17.5 applications) and thinner on the sides to allow for 60+ sized pinions to fit.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #1626
Tech Champion

How much you looking to sell them for? I may be interested. Not sure yet. Who are you having do it? I know Penguin RC does stuff for some Tamiya cars.

Do they even sell the pieces necessary to connect the wings to the bottom chassis?

I see what you mean now on the quick change. I remember now from the Pro4 the pain in doing it. I guess I just figured, for some reason, it was just the part with the spur that came out until I actually tried to do it.

Jcarr, I see you eyeing the thread
Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #1627
Tech Lord

Quote:
How much you looking to sell them for? I may be interested. Not sure yet. Who are you having do it? I know Penguin RC does stuff for some Tamiya cars.

Do they even sell the pieces necessary to connect the wings to the bottom chassis?

I see what you mean now on the quick change. I remember now from the Pro4 the pain in doing it. I guess I just figured, for some reason, it was just the part with the spur that came out until I actually tried to do it.

Penguin RC is gonna do it. i have a few contacts that can help me with it.

i think it'll help free the car up even more. if we can get 2-3 evoV MS (if there's even that many out there) owners who would want one.. i can explore the idea even more.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #1628
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Got to keep an eye on the competition. Also want to keep up with what you are doing to my future car.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #1629
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
Got to keep an eye on the competition. Also want to keep up with what you are doing to my future car.
I figured as much on both counts!

Chris, We race with a Penguin RC driver at our track with good contacts with them as well. We have one other Evo V MS at our track (and after I start beating everyone Im sure there will be more ). I will ask around.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #1630
Tech Lord

Quote:
I figured as much on both counts!

Chris, We race with a Penguin RC driver at our track with good contacts with them as well. We have one other Evo V MS at our track (and after I start beating everyone Im sure there will be more ). I will ask around.
Cool. let me know. ill scan the upper deck this weekend, and draw it out (i heard that'll save me some cost).
Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #1631
Tech Regular

Anyone else running outdoors on very cold tarmac ??? just did my first meeting with the car running on control tyres and i had a major problem getting any grip from the chassis. Top drivers on the same tyres where leaving me for dead getting into the corners, any tips for setups or things to try ???

* forgot to add i was running a spool if that helps *

Last edited by weekendracer_uk; 03-30-2009 at 12:40 PM.
weekendracer_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #1632
Tech Lord

Default Posts

how many posts are you guys running in your evoV's?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #1633
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to GuyIsDamGood

Hey Evo 5 Guys

Electric TC Racing here in N.Y.C.(U.S.A.) is somewhat Gone; so I don`t have many people to run/race with. But I was having a bit of Over-Steer(on Asphalt - 70 degrees outside) until I installed Red(Soft) Springs in the Rear and Blue(Hard) Springs in the Front.
-The Yellow(Medium) Springs on all corners didn`t work well. . . . .Anyone else has/had that problem?
Now my Evo 5 runs very well.

I haven`t used bigger Bearings around my Evo 5`s Axles yet; and I haven`t had a Bearing problem.....yet. . . . .But I`m running a Brushed 19-Turn Motor; that could make a difference.

Take Care
GuyIsDamGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #1634
Tech Rookie

Default spur & pinion

hi i got my stock spur gear shaved and my pinion got sliced in half..
now im having trouble looking for a replacement

would you know if a 48p kawada pinion and spur work for the evo-5?

its the only brand i see at my prefered shop... rcmart
please help.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #1635
Tech Regular

Default Evo5 Steering Post

Hy everyone!

Wanted to share with you my steering mod. on my car.
I have orderd the Steering pots, spacers and the steering bridge, of the Evo5MS.

The spacers i have to sand 1mm because the MS steering arms are 1mm thinner then the old one of the Evo5.

Look at the pics.

Tamiya TB Evolution V-evo5_1.jpg

Tamiya TB Evolution V-evo5_2.jpg

Greetz Blueman!