R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2002, 05:32 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

#53480 delrin Out Drives. I recommend them highly because you save a whole heap of weight. They reduce the rotating mass which is a big benefit.
For a load of other TA04 Hop Ups visit the web site (hobbymania) listed below this message. The guys name is Andy and he has the delrin outdrives for $13.00US plus postage. Tell him steven king sent you and he might even give you a better deal. He is very trustworthy and shipping is fast.

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:57 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Believe it or not those pics are of a first edition 04r altezza. I won the shocks at a tcs race and all the other blue stuff I got from a internet buddy from hong kong. The chassis I got in march I was at the tcs race in hanover and the tamiya guys had the replacement version and that is what they gave me. The car is actually about 1 oz lighter than the roar leagal limit. As for setup I always seem to end up back at the kit settings for the most part. When I run sorrex tires I can go stiffer all around but when I put the tamiya tires on the soft setup works very well. If I need more steering I just put in the oneway and usually does the trick. The car is so easy to drive I just have not been able to get the same roll speed out of it as I can with my tc3 or I would use it everyweek for club racing.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 06:42 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to chrisman Send a message via Yahoo to chrisman

Thanks guys
Steevo,Will try to contact Andy for some quotes.Thanks again.Maybe I'll get the 2002 NSX but I'll have to get rid of my Xray T1 with Evo2 mods new first.CYA.
chrisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:16 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

If you go to Andy's web site and click on the "Optional Parts" section listed on the right hand menu then you will see a couple of pages of TA04 Parts including the pretty blue ones

Steevo
Old 12-27-2002, 03:26 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to rowie

ya realy gotta love the blue bits, although I do hear that Tamiya are changing the colour again this year...get ya blue bits fast...

rowie
rowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:42 AM   #21
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default Questions on the 04R

from the pictures on the Tamiya website it doesn't look as if the 04R comes with the ALum Racing Steering set. In your picture KINGZJ you have the blue set, what's the part number for that.

Also, the Derlin outdrives, the part number that you listed Steevo, when ordering do you put the TAM in front? The reason I ask is because at the local hobby shop they want the MAN. name listed then the part number, so do I use TAM or DERLIN.

I checked out that website, hobbymania, the prices look very reasonable but keep in mind that this shop is in Hong Kong so it will be imported into the US, how do they arrange this to go through customs and who pays for this? If anyone orders from this site it's probably a great idea to order everything you want at once or get people to go in with you when you order.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:23 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Hi Mike,
I am sure that if you order a few Items into the US you will not have to pay any Duty or Taxes on the goods. I live in Australia and I have ordered from Andy on several occasions both large and small orders. In Australia we have the GST and I have never been charged the GST or any other duty when buying stuff in. They will usually only charge you the Tax on large dollar values. It is not worth the paperwork to charge taxes on every little thing that comes in so they only charge if the total tax is over a certain value. I am sure if you ask others about this they will support my findings.

The TA04R does not come with alloy steering set that is part number 53478 TA04 Aluminium Racing Steering Set. You should only need the part number to order through your lhs but if you decide to order from hobbymania Andy will have them in stock I would Imagine.

Steevo
Old 12-27-2002, 02:38 PM   #23
Regional Moderator

Thanks Steevo.

How much did you pay for shipping?

What are some of the hop ups you would recommend. I run on asphalt, semi technical track, medium bite/traction, rubber tires. I'll be running this car in Stock Sedan class, or GT2
Old 12-27-2002, 02:50 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

For Airmail shipping of a few parts around $3.50US.
I would definately get the delrin outdrives. They make a fair bit of difference in my opinion. Get the alloy steering posts and the racing steering set. Also buy 2 sets of shock springs (you only get one pair of each color per set) and buy the front and rear stabiliser set. These are all the extra bits I think you will need for your car.

Steevo
Old 12-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #25
Regional Moderator

Are you running the carbon damper stays?
Old 12-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Oh yes of course, sorry I forgot those!!!
I just always thought that they were part of the original kit as I bought them with the kit and never put on the plastic ones..
Yes definately add them to your list, they stiffen everything up nicely

Steevo
Old 12-27-2002, 03:40 PM   #27
Regional Moderator

I have a post on the Wanted to Buy section on RCTECH, if no one answers my post, I'll try Andy out, kit and the parts I need.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:07 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I FINALLY got My TA04R a few weeks ago and have been hugely impressed with it... My last car was a Team TC3 so you can imagine how high My expectations have been...

The only changes I've needed to do away from the kit setup have been firmer rear springs and a change to the droop screws and this thing is flying... working equally well on rubbers and foams on My home track

have one question though... the diff tension seems a bit vauge... I am having trouble feeling how tight the diffs actually are... how do people adjust these diffs so they aren't over tight... I am running fairly hot mods (11T & 10T) and I think I am getting diff slip but can't be 100% sure
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 06:05 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Shadowau,
Firstly to check the tension of the rear diff I hold the car by the rear wheels and with my right thumb I try and rotate the spur gear. The diff should be tight enough so that there is no slip and the spur gear will not turn with your thumb. To do the front diff its a little harder to test in the car but if you follow the kit instructions on how to tighten the diff you should be OK. Just remember that the diff pulley should not rotate when both outdrives are held tight. Having said this only tighten them enough to stop the slipping but no further. I usually tighten one eighth of a turn at a time until the slipping stops.
You also mentioned that you did a change to the droop screws on your kit. What did you do exactly????

Steevo
Old 12-28-2002, 03:39 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Steevo
Shadowau,
Firstly to check the tension of the rear diff I hold the car by the rear wheels and with my right thumb I try and rotate the spur gear. The diff should be tight enough so that there is no slip and the spur gear will not turn with your thumb. To do the front diff its a little harder to test in the car but if you follow the kit instructions on how to tighten the diff you should be OK. Just remember that the diff pulley should not rotate when both outdrives are held tight. Having said this only tighten them enough to stop the slipping but no further. I usually tighten one eighth of a turn at a time until the slipping stops.
You also mentioned that you did a change to the droop screws on your kit. What did you do exactly????

Steevo
I've done the spur test thing and I can't make them slip in My hands, but I still get the feeling its slipping under hard acceleration with the mods in... the Tamiya 11T Modified is one mongrel of a motor

all I did with the droop screws was make sure they were even and gave the car a little more droop in the rear... just to make sure the arms went flat instead of sitting slightly up as they were set standard from the kit

I've also already worked out how to copy the 414M2 arm placement on the plastic TA04R gearboxes... spaces and everything... haven't done it yet because I don't see the point yet
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote