Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redcat Lightning STK

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Default Redcat Lightning STK

I have been searching for posts about the Redcat Lightning STK but wasn't able to find much/any dedicated threads.

I have been in and out of the hobby the last 20 years and am looking into possibly picking up a couple for my gf and I to ease back into it. I see on the website the chassis is able to be adjusted quite a bit and there are a lot of hop ups available. These are two things I'm looking for.

https://www.redcatracing.com/product...31050522558554

"Fully tunable independent suspension, tunable oil filled shocks, multiple shock positions, adjustable camber, adjustable toe angle, adjustable chassis clearance, adjustable body height, and tunable gear differentials."

I am currently looking for any opinions on Redcat, the lightning STK as well as advice on what hop ups might be good starting points to get the car competitive in low-end club racing? We will spend some time at our local track learning to drive before jumping into the Novice class and going from there.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This chassis is very common, but this model is not the mostly known. It is also known as Maverick Strada or FSP Fisheye.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Airwave
This chassis is very common, but this model is not the mostly known. It is also known as Maverick Strada or FSP Fisheye.
Thank you, I will take a look into these
Old 09-15-2022, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

I checked out the Maverick Strada but couldot find anything on a FSP Fisheye.

For the Strada, it really does look identical. So is this a duplicated chasis then? Any pros/cons to this? I'm guessing you can share hop-ups?
Old 09-15-2022, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes - the same chassis is used by many companies - it comes as a drifter or a rally car, or a buggy, or on road car. I worked with a High School STEM club, and this chassis was provided, but the name was totally different. The shocks are crap, the driveshafts are crap, the electronics are crap - I hope you see where I'm going with this.

I would suggest you do not buy this under any condition. If you have ever built a Tamiya or Associated or any hobby grade kit, you will regret getting this kit.

You say you want to race - find out what entry level class they run - locally Tamiya Semi trucks are popular, some tracks run the Traxas on road car.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by belewis01
Yes - the same chassis is used by many companies - it comes as a drifter or a rally car, or a buggy, or on road car. I worked with a High School STEM club, and this chassis was provided, but the name was totally different. The shocks are crap, the driveshafts are crap, the electronics are crap - I hope you see where I'm going with this.

I would suggest you do not buy this under any condition. If you have ever built a Tamiya or Associated or any hobby grade kit, you will regret getting this kit.

You say you want to race - find out what entry level class they run - locally Tamiya Semi trucks are popular, some tracks run the Traxas on road car.

​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Definitely disappointing, all the stock aluminum makes it look promising right away but sounds like everything would need upgrading. I'm okay with the cheaper electronics at first though. I was hoping to get some hop ups that might clean up any slop and learn the chassis from installing these. Racing with these STKs would just be for low level novice class and then maybe a VTA type class and upgrading to whatever motor that might use if this is not in spec. But we would be running them just the two of us on open track days and in parking lots to learn to drive. I was also looking into Kyosho Fazer but it sounds like there's not much hop ups or tuning options for that chassis. From previously being in the hobby, I do know better -to just start out with a little more high end cars, I just don't know if we will get into club racing for sure.

The Semi class would be ideal and has been most suggested but the only upgrades they allow are bearings and servo saver. The big plus would be it's a kit to build so we would get familiar with the chassis early on.

To add, I have always gone with Tamiya and Associated specifically. I still have my most recent kits from 2010-ish. Ta05vII, M-05 and a SC10. I know they're more than what I'm looking for now but just wanting to start us with identical set ups.