Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Centering Steering Servo's >

Centering Steering Servo's

Centering Steering Servo's

Old 04-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Centering Steering Servo's

ok, give me your tricks! my steering linkage is the correct length (i run an MSX). I've cleared out the memory on my M8 and started from scratch. i put the servo saver on as close to "center" as possible - the splines make it impossible to be perfect.

I decided to use the steering trim to make the wheels straight, but in doing so, i am now 10 clicks to the right.

I've adjusted the EPA for the steering and I can turn much tighter circles in one direction than the other (i don't remember which way is tighter!)

i haven't messed with the sub-trim yet

have i set up the radio correctly? what am i doing wrong?

thanks for the help guys (and girls!)

vic
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Try running the car at a slow speed while you adjust the steering trim until the car goes on a straight line.

And then try running the car at full speed and see if the car goes straight if not do the it all over again.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

i always get everthing as close to center as possible us the subtrim before doing anything , thendrive it making adjustments with the subtrim to get it straight.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

1)Make sure the servo is in the car in the exact same place you plan to run it (some cars let you adjust the servo location)
2)Remove all steering linkage from the sevo
3)Set the steering trim tabs on the car to dead center
4)With the radio on and a battery hooked up to the car so power is getting to the servo, NOW connect the servo saver on the servo getting it as close to center as possible
5)Adjust the trim on the radio to get it perfect

I like my trim to be as close to dead center as possible so that way I have adjustment either left or right if I ever need it during a race.

You are always better off spending the extra time setting up the steering with a mic and a setup station than you are trying to get the steering right on the track. Actually get it right on the bench first so you only have to make micro changes, if any, on the track.

Always set the steering up with the radio on and power going to the servo...Measure, then remeasure, put it on a setup station and measure it again. Do this as many times as you need to make it right. Once it is done right, you will very rarley have to fuss with it again unless the car needs major surgery.

Remember you may also have to adjust the length of the link that connects the servo saver to the bell crank to help get the trim tab closer to center.
Most directions for kits give you the length that each tie rod in the kit should be. I find for perfect steering that these supplied lengths are closer to starting points or suggestions to get you "in the ballpark" than they are actual specifications.