R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New 1/12th scale GTP bodies by Da Hellion

I have good news. There is about to be 2 new 1/12th scale GTP bodies to choose from! I've been working with Danny from Da Hellion RC over the last couple of months and he gave me permission to let you know what we've been up to. The plan is to release 2 new bodies:

1st option will be an authentic 1/12th Porsche 956 GTP body.
Many people, including myself, feel that the Porsche 956 GTP is the most beautiful race car ever. In the 1980's, these cars defined "GTP" and are still being used as a design basis today. Here are some pictures of the real ones to whet your appetite:

2nd option will be a 1/12th Da Hellion GTP body "with an attitude". (We don't have a name for it yet.)
Danny specializes in aerodynamics. He has a passion for it and is very good at it. He has the equipment to make the molds, aerodynamic testing, and can even make the bodies in different thicknesses.
Here is a quick sample pic of a the GTP with an attitude:

This is not the final "attitude" version, but one variation of it.

The authentic body might not be as fast as the "cheese wedge" Speed 8 and Speed 12 bodies, but that's not the true purpose of it. These are going to be a little more realistic bodies, where a driver could actually fit inside the cockpit (unlike the Speed 8 and 12 bodies). There has been is interest in running more athentic GTP bodies like these. Getting a hold of authentic decals (like the NewMan Porsche) and/or reproducing them is a lot easier than getting GTP bodies. So Danny and I have been working together to make that happen. I don't know the timeframe yet, but things are moving along, and some molds have already been created.

The GTP "with attitude" body might be just as fast as the current bodies but it's too early to tell. Even though that isn't the primary purpose, I'm sure it will be close. It's what Danny loves to do. It's certainly going to be very aggressive and cool looking.

We will keep you posted as progress is made. And yes, the plans are to make pricing the same as current bodies. They are still in the designing stage, and we'll let you know as soon as they are available for sale. No need to keep your eye on Ebay for the very expensive collectable bodies. Soon we'll have some new bodies to run and not care if we mess 'em up like the collectables!

Last edited by James35; 01-22-2009 at 01:57 PM.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

looks very nice..
especially if the 956 gets released...

how bout doing the Toyota GTP/GT1.. has excellent downforce.
This one's by HotBodies:
Attached Thumbnails
New 1/12th scale GTP bodies by Da Hellion-toyota-gt1-12l3.jpg  
HB WCE HARA EDITION CYCLONE: LRP Sphere TC, KO 2363 digital servo.
HB HARA EDITION PRO4: Gone to a new home..

rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

Ahh, finally someone will make 1/12 cars look like real models again, instead of doorstops that they've become! I vote for a Jaguar body, either one of the later Group 44 ones or a Walkinshaw XJR9!

But, the 956 is an FIA Group C car, not a GTP (I guess that is the only name Americans might be familiar with). One has to get the nomenclature right.

Al Holbert's Lowenbrau Porsche pictured is a 962. 956's weren't legal for IMSA GTP racing because the driver's feet were forward of the front axle line. If you look closely, you'll see tires are farther forward on the 962 without changing the overall shape of the body, making the nose look "shorter". Plus in IMSA GTP, the rear wing and endplates could not be higher than the roofline. Airboxes weren't allowed to be higher than the top of the roof either (compare the IMSA and FIA versions of the Jaguar XJR14, for example).

I can't wait to see the finished product to add to the collection
RCFIA.com - Northern California Formula 1 Racing
wagnerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do a Jag XJR-14 or a Nissan NPT-90!! It would be awesome to see a 962, XJR-14, an NPT-90 and maybe one of the Gurney AAR Toyota Eagles, running around a carpet track.
Team CRC, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Tech Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to slcf1

Sign me up for a 956... Please contact me when they are ready.
slcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote