Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this? >

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

so now ill say something bad (maybe maybe not)
why now is there no smoking at track's
oh ya its the law
and it hurts others around you.
sorry if this seems like a post
Old 03-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
so now ill say something bad (maybe maybe not)
why now is there no smoking at track's
oh ya its the law
and it hurts others around you.
sorry if this seems like a post
Geez, that just makes so much sense, wherever did you get that idea?
Now just replace smoking with tire dope and we are getting somewhere
Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Smoking isn't against the law at tracks every where.....I can guarantee you I could open one in almost all 50 states.......

Not to mention, just go to cleveland......people smoke right in the hotel lobby and near the track...

Later EddieO
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Edit: Wrong thread.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
Smoking isn't against the law at tracks every where.....I can guarantee you I could open one in almost all 50 states.......

Not to mention, just go to cleveland......people smoke right in the hotel lobby and near the track...

Later EddieO

NOT IN NEW YORK YOU CAN'T!!! F*ing nanny state liberals.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I went to the track last night, and was putting some paragon on my tires. Wouldn't you know, I dropped the dauber and it splashed all over me. On my shirt, over my pit, and of course right in my eyes.

It burned a bit, long enough for me to think to myself that Karma is a bitch. It stopped burning though after a couple seconds, though. No blurred vision. No rashes. Nothing abnormal.

I guess everyone reacts differently to things. And perhaps thats why some people want a bit more evidence that this stuff is harmful enough (it is harmful) to warrant a complete ban.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

If you open the front door to your house and step outside you can DIE!

I worked as a automotive tech since I was a kid, My father just retired as a tech at the age of 65. As a tech your exposed to all sorts of chemicals and fumes. I know of people that have gotten sick but its been either carelessness on thier part or their bodies couldnt handle it so they quit being techs to be service advisors. Everyone doesnt react the same, so its not right for you to bann something because a few have problems.

There is a story on netscape (http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/condi...ies/index.html)

Its about food allergies, I guess we should bann peanuts too since people can die from it! This is useless as I am sure "OSHA" could care less. All these manufactures get inspections just like any other work place. Any company operating with a license gets inpections regurley, I am sure they would have been shut down if paragon wasnt as safe to use as parts kleen, or safty kleen, Parts washer's which is a commen cleaning solution in repair shops (aka mineral spirits) which can be hazerdous.

If paragon was as deadly as carbon monoxide, carburator cleaners, digreaser, throttle body cleaner, brake dust, etc why hasnt "OSHA" banned all that stuff?

Because its deadly only if used improperly. Look its your choice not to use chemicals as is smoking. Also there are a few house cleaning agents that state "use only in a well ventilated area". If you want to be safe use medical gloves to work on your rc cars and use fans to circulate fresh air.

Just sitting in your car with the a/c on in traffic your inhaling larger amounts of deadly fumes then a weeks worth of paragon!!!!! You guys are making a big deal out of nothing.

Mole is deadlier and its in everyones bathroom, car, shed. We breath it all the time. I would actually rather you guys talk about saving the planet and talk about ways to concerve energy and cut fuel consumption in cars then hear usless banter about a solvant. How many of you drive suv's that can carry a small village or a truck that is the size of a small house?

Just be smart about about how this stuff is used, if anything to reduce any risk ask track owners to get big industrial fans to circulate fresh air through the building. Auto shops have big exhust fans to help with the carbon.

If I pissed someone off with my post sorry, I wont lose sleep.

Hector Garcia.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Jiml, new york would be an easy one....

Indian land can have smoke facilties on it......state law doesn't apply. Plenty of tribes to choose from.

EddieO=Indian....
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use paragon as air freshner in my car. I like the smell

So it wasn't really intentional, but after an 8-9 hour trip your car is going to smell like wintergreen say coming back from the birds or cleveland.

Bottom line majority rules. Paragon affects "SOME" people.

So why don't all the people that don't like it organize an ANTI-Pargaon League and race across the country with no compounds. We promise the paragon guys won't try to sneak in and spike your carpet... we'll still be racing at other paragon friendly tracks.

BTW I hear slot car racing is making a come back...

If people really want to race they will find a way. Take it on yourselves to organize races that don't have compounds. That's what you should do. Not try to convince the rest of us to change what we are doing. If you come up with something that works... GREAT. Everyone might follow in suit, but trying to get all racers to switch b/c it affects a few people is not going to happen.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

how do you know it only affects a few people....do you know what the long term affects are....are you sure....

if the majority rules and only 36% of the people who have voted on this survey believe we should do nothing...what does that tell you?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
if the majority rules and only 36% of the people who have voted on this survey believe we should do nothing...what does that tell you?
It may mean that a lot of racers dont care about this topic and dont bother to read this thread and thus didnt vote... I dont think you can say you have a majority of all those who race
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

36% of the people in a seriously flawed poll that is.....

Go to a sold out paragon race and do a poll......see what the results say then......try to leave the tire war out of it also....

And likewise.....how do you know it doesn't affect just a few people? I only see a couple of people on here claiming to have symptoms they say is because of traction compounds......however I see tons of people saying they are not bothered in any way by it....the rest yelling for the ban have not claimed any affects.....but they seem to want to save the world.

Later EddieO
Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i say, we all drift... put PVC on our tires, and drift. =)

no wait, the dust from the pvc might stick to our lungs ;-)
Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EddieO
36% of the people in a seriously flawed poll that is.....

Go to a sold out paragon race and do a poll......see what the results say then......try to leave the tire war out of it also....

And likewise.....how do you know it doesn't affect just a few people? I only see a couple of people on here claiming to have symptoms they say is because of traction compounds......however I see tons of people saying they are not bothered in any way by it....the rest yelling for the ban have not claimed any affects.....but they seem to want to save the world.

Later EddieO
Eddieo,

I wonder, do you think you would say my poll is flawed if 75% of the people say we should do nothing?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Geez, that just makes so much sense, wherever did you get that idea?
Now just replace smoking with tire dope and we are getting somewhere
my point was just to say that i think its weird that we do things thats bad for us and more so to others with out thinking.
i smoke but i do it out side even if i was aloud to do it inside.
at home i go outside.
and my little girl is not aloud in the room where my rc stuff is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.