Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this? >

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TimPotter
SPF45, and the cheapest ,runniest stuff you can find...
You know a guy has been racing a long time when he suggests using suntan lotion as traction compound.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rick,

Didn't it have to be Coppertone #15? How about WD 40, and it the first indoor champs we used Teac head cleaner that was used for cleaning tape players.

chuck
Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Default wintergreen haters

what about events with a high count Masters class attendance? them ole' geezer's using Ben-gay, Icy-hot and other arthritis soothing solutions. gathered in mass along with lo-ventilation can be a major issue
Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mackin
Rick,

Didn't it have to be Coppertone #15? How about WD 40, and it the first indoor champs we used Teac head cleaner that was used for cleaning tape players.

chuck
Yes it had to be #15! lol The first thing I ever used was WD40.

The best solution would be to outlaw traction compound entirely. The only problem is that racers are very unwilling to give up traction - even if it is taken away equally from everyone.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
what about events with a high count Masters class attendance? them ole' geezer's using Ben-gay, Icy-hot and other arthritis soothing solutions. gathered in mass along with lo-ventilation can be a major issue
LOL
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Carl - Lotion..not oil. We use Target store brand SPF 45. It is white and runny.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jacsac

How many times can one mention 10k fan?
Exactly.Or that he makes more money then everyone posting on this thread combined.LOL!

Even though I don't know Martin personally,I have watched him race @ Tamiya and feel for him because it's not like he asked for Chemical Sensitivity.But it's a good thing that this topic was addressed because he won't be and is not the last person effected by the chemicals we use in this hobby.At least if your on the other side of the fence on this topic,you could be a little gracious in your response.People's well being is involved here.Or is that too much to ask?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
Easy young grasshopper...remember "old guyz rule"
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

I've taken up Martin's cause as well and have spoken with ROAR on the subject...although I may not be as sensitive to certain chemicals as Martin is describing...I've been warned by my neurologist and now my eye doctor to avoid racing if it includes the tire additives.

The only explaination my doctors have for my medical symptoms has been the concentration of exposure to chemicals we use in racing. (ie: indoor facilities with poor ventilation). Now I posted a few pages back...I've eliminated the use of motor spray, with alternative ECHO-safe decreasers, so the only thing left are tire additives.

Quite frankly, they were both puzzled as how these products are sold without content descriptions.

Not sure what will happen...However, if ROAR decides to bann tire additives, my only suggestion would be to bann the product over a 1-year period which gives the racers and the manufacturers time to adjust to the change.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Jacsac and Racenut124, my comments about my fan were in response to numerous comments from another local track owner or to what I had in place for nationals....I think I said it three times......

Please show me where I talked about how much I made in this thread....I never did, but you seem to bring it up....

I have never told Martian to stop whining nor have I not listened to what he has said. I simply don't think oil of wintergreen is the issue....possibly another chemical.....and I certainly don't think banning traction compounds is the answer, especially with other much more proven harmful chemicals out there.....skipping right over the known stuff for the theory stuff isn't a smart move....especially when we effect about two races a year with marginal attendance....while the big races get BIGGER will still keep allowing it.

Later EddieO
Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Legend

Don`t ban traction grip ...
Just ban the bad chemicals instead.....
Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Yes it had to be #15! lol The first thing I ever used was WD40.

The best solution would be to outlaw traction compound entirely. The only problem is that racers are very unwilling to give up traction - even if it is taken away equally from everyone.

Hey Rick....great to hear from you! I agree with you on this....no compound is the best option and yes drivers dont' like to give up traction. Based on the results of the poll (so far) it looks like about 2/3rds of the 152 voters agree with removing the traction compounds completely. It would be an adjustment that some will get frustrated with, but it looks like the drivers are willing to try it. I think if they stick with it they will find a way to make it work.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ya suntan lotion does sound funny but it does work, I think we used coppertone spf 15 or something like that. You leave it on the tire for 20 mins and wipe and let dry for a few heats before your run.

It is the only thing that I know that works AND is safe for your skin.

I would say to the governing powers that be......Go ahead and ban the tire chemicals. We either must find a specific biodegradable traction compound or use suntan lotion, or nothing at all. I don't care as long as we are all on the same level ground.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When I first started racing in 89, a doctor friend who raced too, grabbed a can of motor spray and looked at the ingredients. He said using this stuff is like nuclear waste and a better alternative was rubbing alcohol. Since then that is what I mostly use as a cleaner unless I clean bearings or Mabuchi motors. When I do bearings using motorspray I always wear gloves.

I believe the skin absorbs any liquid you touch and cycles it through your organs. You may not be effected now but wait till you get older and start having health problems from accumulation of chemicals. Anything petroleum usually is bad news, I feel sorry for the people who use deisel fuel as a traction additive.

I have always thought Niftec were safe alternative because you wipe it on and forget about it. Also another indicator is it comes in a plastic bottle which usually indicates lighter chemicals. I would be in favor of a total ban or a product that is safe, no fumes, no touch and less worries.

If the question about if we use what is safe how can you stop those that don't, there are sniffers like what the airports use. I know from my experience of being hazmatted from a spilled can of paragon that I threw out before the plane trip home. The funny thing was I barely used it, was afraid to actually.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Niftech has acetone in it.....go look up how safe it is....its known and proven effects make oil of wintergreen look like candy....

The problem with banning all additives is the cheating......I don't see how we will tech the tires.....enough with the sniffers....the things cost $1,000 or more.....so who is gonna buy these for all the tracks? Sure, ROAR could pop for one at the national events...doesn't solve the countless regionals or regular club events....even at large events, people have been known to add stuff to the handout or control traction compound.....

I do find one thing interesting that I noticed this weekend at my track. We had a large indoor gas race. 250+ entries....gas all fumes all over.....noisy as hell.

I saw four things....multiple people wearing respirators or basic masks, multiple people wearing ear plugs, TONS of people wearing gloves, even a few using latex and lots of people wearing protective eyewear.

I talked to a few of these people and they said they wear this stuff at every event.....indoors or outdoors.

Seems funny, the redneck offroaders seem to know how to be reduce exposure to potentially harmful stuff....but us onroaders are above it.....guess wearing a mask in the pits would not LOOK cool...

Later EddieO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.