R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
Tech Regular
Default Novak ESC with deformed power cap

Hey guys,

I have just received my GT7 from Novak. as it is factory remanufactured unit, it does not have any box. Through the plastic cover, i can see that the power cap is now deformed, perhaps during shipping. My question is, is the power cap ok? It's a hassle to replace it cause the wire is soldered inside the ESC and not outside the ESC.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
Tech Master

You may want to sent a email to novak to ask some questions. Charlie would be more then happy to help you out.

Or if you're brave enough,you can open up the ESC to desolder the cap by yourself or ask someone more expirence to help you.

You can still run the ESC without the cap.But your ESC will run hottoer without it.

But be warn,both will vooid your warranty.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Tech Initiate
Send a message via AIM to MIKE VALENTINE Send a message via Yahoo to MIKE VALENTINE

azmio you don't need to open the case, or unsolder the wires from the board. Just cut the shrink tube on the wires near the power cap, and unsolder at that point, and replace the power cap. I wouldn't run the speedo without it, esp in mod.
MIKE VALENTINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Tech Regular

errr I can do a lot of soldering job outside ESC. Inside the ESC, it requires different skill to do things right. If the cap is not functioning, I'm thinking about cutting the wire off and connect it to aftermarket power cap.

Gosh, I wonder when will i get something right from Novak. Until this day, i have sent back 2 SS Brushless set, 1 GTB set and one GT7. Can anyone suggest any other manufacturer that do it right the first time you open up the box. I had enough and I want to switch camp here.

as for runningg the ESC without a cap, I prefer not cause I noticed the noise was greater and i need to cut the motor more often.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Im very happy with Tekins equipment. I have a charger which ive owned for at least 5 years and its still working fine to this day.

Tekins latest ESCs dont need power caps,just plug it in and race
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote