R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2006, 04:42 AM   #16
Tech Regular

I own Shphere, Sphere Competition and GTB.

I like sphere because the drivability is really great. It doesnt need fan and it doesnt go thermal shutdown. LRP BL motor is also great because you can replace the sensor harness if the insulator goes bad.

On the other hand, I hate Sphere's drag brake. It's just not there even when you select the highest drag brake.

If your driving style requires a lot of drag brake or if you're running pan car, choose GTB. If not, go for Sphere competition.

For your info, I sent both my GTB and Sphere back to Novak and LRP. The GTB has faulty temperature sensor and the LRP just melted on straight line. I think, both Novak and LRP need to find more robust system. Both systems are similar so that's why they either need to conduct more R&D or just totally leave the current layout for something very very different that will provide them breakthrough in term of reliability.

Up until now, I still think, brush motor is far more reliable if compared to Novak or LRP brushless.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic
Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Weird, i think the drag brake is just too much with it set at 3-4, much like the "normal" brushed 12's i run otherwise in the 3 profile. This is with One-way touring, comes down to personal preference i beleive
JMI Motorsport / Red Bull Racing
HB Cyclone TC - Schumacher CAT SX & Cougar SV
Advanced Electronics - Autopartner.se - Sav÷x - NorthTQ
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #18
Tech Regular

I think for touring car especially with spool and full diff, you can just slam your brake without having to worry about your car's rear going sideway. For 1/12 pan car, you hit your brake more than what you should, i can guarantee that it will go out of shape.

I like to think the drag brake as a controlled form of braking. finding the right amount of brake using my finger is difficult, so i prefer to let drag brake take care of the braking for me.

Anyhow, give it a try with 1/12 pan car after a long straight, you will understand why i like GTB drag brake
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #19
Tech Legend

I`v already tried out the 4th setting on my Sphere...
Way to much drag brake for me...
so I use the 3rd setting...Dailed !
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #20
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have both a GTB & SS5800 and my friend has the Sphere. If you are planning to use the reverse, don't buy the Sphere because as you may have read earlier, it really sucks. I can attest to this as my friend was really disappointed with the LRP goes into reverse from brake. The Sphere is a little smaller and comes with some extra hardware and don't forget their waranty and also the higher price tag. Other than the reverse issue, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'd never go back to brushed motors, again!
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #21
Tech Regular

We have assemply LRP Spere Competition and LRP 4 Star Brushlless at Kyosho ZX-5 and TRF415 and both are Kicking ASS
nikoskar is offline   Reply With Quote