Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC4 Diff Bearings.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Cool TC4 Diff Bearings.........

I was thinking about getting some new bearings for the diff's in my TC4 Team kit, but I'm a little confused on the size. In the Team Kit manual there is no size just a part number, that part number says that it is 4x8x2mm, and in that FT TC4 manual it says 3/16x5/16. Which is that same size or are both the same just metric and standard sizes equal to each other.

Thanks
RH
Old 03-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RH Customs
I was thinking about getting some new bearings for the diff's in my TC4 Team kit, but I'm a little confused on the size. In the Team Kit manual there is no size just a part number, that part number says that it is 4x8x2mm, and in that FT TC4 manual it says 3/16x5/16. Which is that same size or are both the same just metric and standard sizes equal to each other.

Thanks
RH
question 1) why are you seeking other bearings than what is specified in the catalog?
question 2) what part # do you have that is showing metric dimensions for the bearing?
question 3) what happened to the stock bearings in your diff?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Reason why I was going to get new bearings os I was going to put new bearings in the whole car, since it was used and most all the bearings are shot. The part number from AE is 3916 (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&FVPROFIL=++). And nothing happened to the bearings in the diff. Reason I was thinkinh about replacing them is because they are suppose to be the same size as in the steering rack and those need to be replaced. And last I like to by my bearings from Avid Racing.

RH
Old 03-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

So does anybody know the right size of the diff bearings? Also is the size the same in the steering rack?

Thanks
RH
Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Questions like this belong in the TC4 thread because people that have TC4's and that know the answer to these types of questions will usually only read that thread when it comes to TC4's. Same goes for other cars as well.

Look at the Team manual again. It will list the part number for the Outdrive bearing (3916) but it doesn't give the size (I have no idea where you were looking that said that part number was a metric bearing...I could find no reference to that at all). Now look at the part number for the steering rack. It's the same number, 3916. But now it also gives the size of the bearings which are 3/16x5/16.

They are the same part number (3916) and the size is 3/16x5/16.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry about that. If I have a car specific question I'll post it there. But thanks for the information.

RH
Old 03-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

No need to apologize. I just wanted to let you know for the future. Especially if you need a fast answer, that's the place to put it!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

I never thought about that (duh ). I will post any specific questions on the TC4 in the TC4 forum.

RH
Old 04-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default RH there are two differnet sizes of diff bearings...

depending on if your using the plastic or steel. I would stick with AE's bearings for the diffs. They are very small in size and I don't think you will find them. I tried some after market ones and the seals fell out because they are so small. No need for expensive bearings in your diffs. I would recommend Acer ceramic diff trust balls. They make the diff very smooth and it last longer between rebuilds.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks, knight, I'll have to check out Acer. Also how many diff balls come in a pack?

RH
Old 04-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I think there are 14 in a pack.

So you get a few extras. It's about $50 to outfit your car with ceramic diff and thrust balls, but boy did it make my diffs smooth. Just make sure you get the right sizes.