Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree639Likes

Tamiya TA08 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

I am a fan of Tamiya but I very rarely look at one of their cars these days and think that it is something I could make use of.

If I lived in a country with a Tamiya series I could see myself buying a TA08 and all the hop ups and trying to find the best setup and see if was quicker against the clock than a TA07. It would be fun, but expensive.

But I don't live in one of those so the car is just an oddity.

The TA05 was great. Mid motor when it wasn't fashionable. Quite a few of us ran them for club racing at the time and they were right on the pace of the TRF cars.

I think that most of the questions about RC touring have been answered now. Tamiya keep trying to innovate in their own way, but I'm not sure they are making a "better" mid-range product with each generation, just a different one.
herrokero likes this.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
I liked the 04. Taking a guess, but it looks like the 05 may have been the best seller among the series. I'm wondering whether this would actually perform much better. The 05 has a simple layout with the motor close to the middle similar to even new mid motor cars coming out today from other manufacturers. Was the 05 the best?
I still run the TA05 in GT2 TCS and VTA. Still very competitive
Old 03-15-2021, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

https://kentech.wordpress.com/2021/0...miya-ta08-pro/
Old 03-15-2021, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kentech
When looking at any TA-series car we always need to remember that these are not all-out racing cars, with the main target as far as racing is concerned being their own Tamiya series races. All TA-seies cars have had their own 'unique' ideas.

The drivetrain/battery/electrics layout is the same as for example the Infinity IF14-II. Check belt lengths etc. and they are fairly identical when you factor in pulley sizes. Not a bad layout I would say. Of course if this was a TRF chassis the motor would be closer to the rear belt etc.

The V-shape chassis is obviously to get the required rigidity without the need of an upper deck, and without making a moulded chassis that is very wide. If I understood what Kono (the designer) said on the video correctly, the angle will be a bit lower on the production-run cars.

Overall I see some nice ideas, and some stuff I don't like. Exactly what I would expect from a TA-series chassis
I disagree, i think this chassis can be a big surprise in the racing world.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

I liked the 04. Taking a guess, but it looks like the 05 may have been the best seller among the series. I'm wondering whether this would actually perform much better. The 05 has a simple layout with the motor close to the middle similar to even new mid motor cars coming out today from other manufacturers. Was the 05 the best?
The only reason why midmotor cars are going ok is because of the stupid narrow rear tires in 1/10 Electric TC racing. I still don't understand why we race the same tire width in front and rear, even the Tamiya TC-01 which should represent a FE car doesn't have wider tires in the rear like the real thing.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C van der Hagen
The only reason why midmotor cars are going ok is because of the stupid narrow rear tires in 1/10 Electric TC racing. I still don't understand why we race the same tire width in front and rear, even the Tamiya TC-01 which should represent a FE car doesn't have wider tires in the rear like the real thing.
You say that, but some time ago racers were going faster by using narrower tyres, and the rules were changed to set a minimum width. Wider tyres isn't always better.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

The simplicity of this design is pretty attractive. No upper deck is really hard to pull off on a narrow TC chassis. Not much can tweak and bulkhead alignment is gauranteed. Very few parts on this chassis and some can probably be left off (spur cover, motor guard etc). Not really low CG but still slammed. It's interesting.
utieh and Raman like this.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t
Is there a reason to mold the bulkhead into the chassis?
TAMIYA
OSherman and Gyr0 like this.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:18 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

As "Scale Builder's Guide" said on Tamiya over engineering, "It is the way." *The Mandalorian
utieh, Raman and Gyr0 like this.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

After going over the pictures loads of times, I'm pretty excited about this chassis. It's got a lot of nice features including the new arms and the slim lower deck. I'm sure it will be a big step from the TA07, which was a great chassis, but quite heavy. This looks less over-engineered and as close as Tamiya would ever get to making a conventional club level chassis. I am a bit disappointed about the lower bulkheads not being separate, but there are a lot of other new things that compensate for that. I still have great memories of the TA05 being a weapon for club racing, so I have no problem rocking up to a big event with a plastic tub if it's quick, I couldn't care less what it's made from.

Also as an aside, does this forum crash for iOS users? It crashes almost every time I try to browse on all my Apple devices.
Raman, IAmGreatDane and herrokero like this.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

+1, I have been reluctant to retire my TA05 V2, as I mentioned it’s pretty darn competitive. A year ago I almost picked up a TA07 on RCTech for TCS and wisely decided to stay with TA05.. I just never warmed up to the exo tub and seemed like a pita to work on. The TA08 appears to have gone back to simplicity TA05 and I welcome it. So this may finally replace my TA05.

Im also excited to see what the next TRF car will look like.. hoping to see these arms in carbon fibre
Qatmix and gigaplex like this.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
+1, I have been reluctant to retire my TA05 V2, as I mentioned it’s pretty darn competitive. A year ago I almost picked up a TA07 on RCTech for TCS and wisely decided to stay with TA05.. I just never warmed up to the exo tub and seemed like a pita to work on. The TA08 appears to have gone back to simplicity TA05 and I welcome it. So this may finally replace my TA05.

Im also excited to see what the next TRF car will look like.. hoping to see these arms in carbon fibre
I may pick up a TA05 instead of the 08! I figure if I'm patient, I can find a good one with a few blue pieces for about a $100.00.
Raman and gigaplex like this.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

I may pick up a TA05 instead of the 08! I figure if I'm patient, I can find a good one with a few blue pieces for about a $100.00.
They are out there, sitting in someone’s closet collecting dust. 😉
Old 03-15-2021, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love my TA07 Pro. It's was a lot of fun running it completely stock on black carpet in USGT to see how it stacked up. Once I put a spool up front and some sway bars it was much easier to drive consistently fast. I will absolutely concede that working on the chassis isn't my favorite. Also electronics and motor fan placement was also a pain in the arse. I'm optimistic about the TA08. I just hope that it isn't a lard ass like the 07 is.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I still love the TA04, easy to work on, and competitive.....parts though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.