Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree55Likes

Xray X1 front indepndent disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

Hi alpine,

yes, it would be very well possible, but the look would be subpar, and besides I felt like that route is not enough of a challenge
Old 12-08-2021, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikeylama
Go for it, after this project of mine is over, comes 10.th scale buggy and touring car
Nice to have you back.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default Another milestone

Okay everyone,
I have arrived to a huge milestone. The first prototype part is finished made with subtractive technology. Finally, my cnc router is alive, and working. The real challenge only starts now, because I have to mill out the pistons, pray for me will you? 😄. This material is only PA6. Tried to get a piece of PA66GF30, but they quoted me for a cut off piece of 10x500x3000mm roughly 700usd, and altho that would serve me for a couple years, I am not prepared to pay that money for material costs. Just for kicks, I uploaded the smallest endmill ( D 1mm) thst I had to use in the manufacturing process

Stay tuned, updates to be followed.

wtcc and Papi like this.

Last edited by mikeylama; 01-10-2022 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

How is the break disc secured to the wheel, is it just glued to the rim?
Old 01-10-2022, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mtveten
How is the break disc secured to the wheel, is it just glued to the rim?
Hi,
The torque transfer will be done by a shaft, that is glued between the wheel's spokes with CA, that lines up with a hole on the brake disc. as soon as I have a working prototype operational, I'll post it.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Made a test brake disc as well: CNC vs resin printed

MatsNorway and wtcc like this.

Last edited by mikeylama; 01-14-2022 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Attaching pictures
Old 01-14-2022, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikeylama
Okay everyone,
I have arrived to a huge milestone. The first prototype part is finished made with subtractive technology. Finally, my cnc router is alive, and working. The real challenge only starts now, because I have to mill out the pistons, pray for me will you? 😄. This material is only PA6. Tried to get a piece of PA66GF30, but they quoted me for a cut off piece of 10x500x3000mm roughly 700usd, and altho that would serve me for a couple years, I am not prepared to pay that money for material costs. Just for kicks, I uploaded the smallest endmill ( D 1mm) thst I had to use in the manufacturing process

Stay tuned, updates to be followed.
Interesting stuff - you say CNC router, but do you have a 3rd axis option? Having my own CNC router for a couple of years, I'm impressed with your work.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01
Interesting stuff - you say CNC router, but do you have a 3rd axis option? Having my own CNC router for a couple of years, I'm impressed with your work.
I thought the definition of a router lays in the spindle rpm, machine rigidity and thus the capability of machining materials, not axis controls. I have full control over 3 axes (xyz). The work envelope is about 280x350x90mm. Go further up in the thread, I posted a picture of a mess off it when it was under construction (own design, Own build). I am flattered by your impression, but I merely started the cnc journey. I only have about an hour of cumulative machine time under my belt. I also plan to install (first design and manufacture ofcourse) A and B axes as well, making it 5 axes machine , thus opening up a new world yet again. Again, sorry, I wandered off topic quite badly.

Last edited by mikeylama; 01-14-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey - it's your topic, wander away

I agree with your CNC router definition, in my limited experience, the majority of CNC routers have been 2 axis, what I have heard described as 2 1/2D. For the dominate store bought machines a 3rd axis are available, but I rarely see one. I need to look into an upgrade.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01
Hey - it's your topic, wander away

I agree with your CNC router definition, in my limited experience, the majority of CNC routers have been 2 axis, what I have heard described as 2 1/2D. For the dominate store bought machines a 3rd axis are available, but I rarely see one. I need to look into an upgrade.
2 axes cnc router would be a laser engraver. Anything else, that has to physically touch the raw stock, has to be able to control height(Z axis). The 2.5 Axis routers are also 3 axis machines, but simultaniously only 2 axis can be moved. True 3 axis cnc machines can be moved along their X Y and Z axes simultaniously.

Back to topic. I've purchased the material for the bathtub for the carbon sheet in wich I can mill out the tiny carbon fiber parts required. Hopefully my 8mm ER11 collet arrive next wek, and I can hog out the bed, so, next week's excitements will be carbon routing, and me creating some brake discs. Stay tuned. Meanwhile, some teasing of the toolpaths:
Most of the operations can be done by only 2 setups, wich is immensely lucky. However, the trick is to get the origin within 0.01mm of the previous one. I need a 3d digital edge finder badly

toolpath for the lower caliper

toolpath for the hub
wtcc likes this.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Okay guys we are kicking things off of the bucket list like a MF... First ever carbon part that I milled out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ohI...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ojP...ew?usp=sharing

I am getting there. Some lessons already learned ( ie deeper counterbore) something to be done with the edges of the cuts, because they are fraying, and this double sided tape (Tesa) is super strong, almost broke the finished part trying to pry it off.
Papi and s550v like this.

Last edited by mikeylama; 01-20-2022 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Brake disc rings

Hi all,

I've just finished machining the first batch of carbon disc rings. Next comes the plastic disc hub. Funny enough, that is going to be the difficult part, because for some reason my cnc is having challenges with accuracy when machining plastic.

wtcc, G-rem and Papi like this.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hubs

Okay, do, one disc hub is done. It is getting silly with the dimensions 😃

G-rem and Papi like this.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default Life of a machinist(not really)

Okay, apparently I got lucky with the first 2 piece brake disc, as I was unable to produce anothe useful disc hub all weekend. It was quite frustrating. Especially after I got it right once. Oh well. I opted out to a one piece full carbon fiber disc, for that I had to be creative because I had no 5.3mm carbon plate that I required to have for this. Managed it. Managed also to cut it out just fine, this time the "vent holes" didn't drill through.... oh well I guess you live and learn. And the journey continues

wtcc and jo_er86 like this.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

First thing I thought of when I saw this topic was the Serpent F180... https://www.serpent.com/xcart/cart.p...product_id=339 ....but this is a totally different approach... neat project
jo_er86 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.