Spool set up

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:19 PM
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spool set up

Hi guys,

I've just tried a spool in my car and have found it to have less turn in and more corner exit steering (as I expected). The main problem I'm having is with the oversteer I'm having on corner exit when I put the power down. As a result I'm having to back off which obviously slows me down. Now I want to persist with the spool as I know it's meant to be quicker than a diff on this particular track.

My question is, how do I set the car up to be not so tail happy going out of the corner firstly, and then how to I get more initial turn in?

For the record I'm running a tc3 in 19t on a large (270m - I think that's about 900ft) with rubber tires, generally cs22s.

Thanks for any advice,
Jason
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

well its quite a tough one this as the two problems seem to 'intefer' with eahc other as imporving one (ie softer spring for the oversteer) will further increase the effect of the other.

u may i am afraid have to completly change the set up go back to basic kit settings and work from there,

one other thing i would suggest is to use a softer rear spring and a lower downstop value at the front
Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i run anti squat in the rear when running a spool.this will loosen the car up and help the car steer on corner entry and plants the rear mid corner and exit.you may also be heating up your tires too much and causing them to fade.does this problem start mid race or is it throughout the race?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

lower the front roll centre slightly and remove 1mm droop from the front and go from there, laying your front shocks down will also help on the intial. You could also try a softer oil in the front shocks, depending on what you are running now.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

I suggest to run more rear toe-inn!!
This will give you more off power steering and more rear bite going on power
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM
JL
Tech Adept

Alright,

Thanks again for the tips guys. I'll try running more rear toe to start with and then some anti squat in the rear and see where i go from there. Also Jason, the problem did get worse mid run. I thought it was due to the fact that as the tires went off the back end was just a little harder to "catch" when it did snap out.

Thanks all,
Jason
Old 04-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
i run anti squat in the rear when running a spool.this will loosen the car up and help the car steer on corner entry and plants the rear mid corner and exit.you may also be heating up your tires too much and causing them to fade.does this problem start mid race or is it throughout the race?
When you say anti-squat, do you mean to lower the inner caster blocks or is it the other way around? I'm confused between kick-up and anti squat. I know they are somewhat similar but I dont know their differences. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bukil
When you say anti-squat, do you mean to lower the inner caster blocks or is it the other way around? I'm confused between kick-up and anti squat. I know they are somewhat similar but I dont know their differences. Thanks in advance.
Sorry I am not trying to be funny! But if you read the manual it will give you an answer! Most Rc manfactures today include a tunning section in the back of the book.

Anti squat is a term to discribe the angle in which the rear suspensions hinge pins are at an angle like kickup! ( means leading hinge pin holder is a tad bit higher then the rear point!).
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Try running less caster...
Old 04-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

I take it you are running at stonehaven, this is a very low grip track, they have moss growing in certain parts of it.

I actually ran a 1 way round there the other year as did ben cosgrove when he won 19t.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:01 PM
JL
Tech Adept

Yep Lee,

You got it in 1! I've also found that a one-way has been the quickest set up in the dry at Stonehaven but I thought it would be great to get a good spool set up for when it rains (we are in the North East of Scotland after all! ) seeing as a one way is such a handful on a wet track.

I know Andy Moore won with a spool in 2004 and I know most of the a-final guys last year were using spools rather than one-ways in the 2005 Scottish Gp so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also know that the club's spending a stack of money on the track this month so grip should come up with the track work they've got planned.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 PM
JL
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

Just a quick thank you. I ran the car yesterday after putting in just 1 more degree of rear toe in and it completely transformed the car! I had the confidence to get the throttle down hard and early coming out of the corners. Thanks for the tip Eirik.

Just a quick pointer for people running a spool for the first time - make sure you're tyres are warm before you take the track otherwise it's understeer city! LOL!