Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default why?

why do soo many people not like LiPos, or Brushless motors?

if i have a 4.5 and the new 4800 orion lipo, i can smoke any tratital motor with IB 4800's

not to add that lipos retain 80% (or something like that) of their chare over a long period of time, not like normal cells, that loose charge and life
and u dont have to discharge!!!, and races can be longer

also,
why does it seem that everyone puts all the kids in r/c down? (like me)
they (older people) act like im stupid, and that i know notthing
i mean, yes their are a couple of you out their that are very helpful, but its those others the ruin it

lastly
why is everything sedan racing, i mean who races their family car, if im gona race, im gona have a lotus elise or a RX-7, not my grandma's Stratus

why doesnt ROAR make a coupe racing class, and have regulations on the bodies like they do for sedan racing?

i dono, just my stupid teen-age wondering
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why don't you try to get a class like that together at your local track. It's worth a try.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

at this moment, brushed motor and 'traditional' NiMH batts are the trend, or i should say the 'art' of EP.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lipo/bl has been slow to takeoff in large part due to a lack of support (even backlash) from current nimh/br resellers. look at all the add-ons you can get with nimh/br, battery bars, shrink wrap, frequent brush changes, comm lathes, new arms, and the list goes on. tuners that wind br arms could do bl stators, but the average customer would not be purchasing near as often. battery matchers could still make a reasonable profit with lipo, again though your average customers would not be buying as many battery packs as often unless more manufacturers got into the game and we started having voltage wars all over (though this could be controlled through bl controllers).

most average racers want whats winning. as long as the companies making money from nimh/br are paying the talent to run their existing products, then most classes will be nimh/br and most people will run it. i think what you'll continue to see is some of the larger rc companies getting into lipo/bl through either in house development (novak) or rebadging others products (orion). when they see lipo/bl as more opportunistic than nimh/br we will see lipo/bl gain support.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would like to see Brushless take off but can understand some people do not want to replace their current stock pile of motors or $150 ESC.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

CHANGE SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF PEOPLE...
Old 03-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

yeah, but BL'S are way cheaper in the long run

u dont need a lathe, new brushes, etc.

i can understand the whole thing with Lipos, but BL'S? i mean its just wayy better

what about coupe racing?
anyone agree with me?
Old 03-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor

i can understand the whole thing with Lipos, but BL'S? i mean its just wayy better

what about coupe racing?
anyone agree with me?
yeah it may be cheaper in the long run but until it's legal, i doubt that more people will start using it. on top of that, for guys who are already in the hobby for quite sometime will be quite hesitant because they got the equipments already (lathe etc). To switch to BL is equal to abandon their equipments. so in the end might not be cost effective for them.

my 2 cents
Old 03-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor

what about coupe racing?
anyone agree with me?
I'm totally with ya man...I'd love to race more "realistic" bodies and have a coupe / GT type class. And for the folks who will say that the GT bodies handle like crap...well...stuff it.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love the Idea of BL but this carpet season I saw 10+ motors/ controllers smoke, die act funny just in my local club. It wasn't just one brand but a few of both. The guys using them are very experienced racers and followed all the instructions. I think that the mainstream (north america) BL sets just need to be massaged a little and work the last few bugs out.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soviet
I'm totally with ya man...I'd love to race more "realistic" bodies and have a coupe / GT type class. And for the folks who will say that the GT bodies handle like crap...well...stuff it.
the GT bodies handle like crap.... I'm going back to my corner now so I can stuff it.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Soviet
GT handles very well IMO, but maybe you should alter some of the setups to make it work well. I still have HPI Mclaren GTR shell, it handles well compare to touring shells.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Why I think brushless has not taken off.

1. Most racers across the US run stock or 19 turn. The current BL systems are comprable to modified motors.

2. People are comfortable with brushed motors since many racers have been running them for so many years. Plus they have all the equipment/knowhow to work on and tweak brushed motors.

3. Brushed motors are still better. I know a bunch of you will argue this, but I belive that if and when BL systems are better they will out sell and replace brushed motors/ESC's.

As far as GT bodies go People will run what ever is faster. A few years ago they opened up the rules on bodies in the Florida State series, and I've yet to see anyone do well with a GT style body. If you'd like to run something different run 1/12's (I do). The class is called "touring cars" so I've got no problem running a Mazda 6 (the new Mazda speed 6 comes with 4WD,and 270hp not exactly your Grandma's car)

Just my $.02
Roly
Old 03-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Once brushless becomes legal at my local club i will make the switch. This is a hobby, and while some may think I'm lazy I would rather not have to cut my comm, replace my brushes & springs, after every other race.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default why?

Change usually takes time. Brushless motors, while not a new technolgy in general, are still a newer concept in the RC hobby. I have been playing with brushless motors in my parkflyers for a year or so and the technology justs keeps getting better. The ideal of having a "maintenance free" power plant is music to the ears. But the initial cost of the motor/esc combo are a little more than many people want to spend.

At my local track(s), racers have been having hit or miss luck with the GTB system. Some guys got the esc to work on the first go round, others had to send their units back to Novak. I have also heard (rumors) of the Reedy Sphere Brushless ESC burining up when hooked up to the Reedy brushless system.

Lipo batteries are great, they provide longer operation times and the weight is a fraction of their NiMH competitors. The cons of Lipo include the seemingly astronomical price tags (although they are getting cheaper) and the attention that is required for safe and proper charging.

llamont

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.