I was away at our German TC Indoor Nats, this is why I couldn't respond earlier. Good news, Ronald won using our speedo & motor and Steven Weiß & Christopher Krapp finished 2nd and 3rd using our speedo and Orion brushless motors.
As for reliability and the temperatures:
- forget to check IR temps of the speedo, make us of the "Temperature ReadOut" feature. That's what we designed it for!
- especially when using fans, the outside heatsink temperature is not a very good indication of the inside temperature.
- sintered is definitely much stronger and more reliable then bonded, but everything has obviously it's limits...
- in Thailand the conditions where very extreme and some drivers where forced to run a heatsink while others got away without one (Ronald and Toshiko Hara did not run a fan/heatsink!).
- make sure motors do not reach more then 90°C with sintered and you'll be fine.
Let me know if I missed something...