Flying to Races

Old 03-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Flying to Races

What's the best way to take your equipment when flying to the races?
thanks
chuck
Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

carry on what is most important for you
Old 03-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

UPS is your friend. I tend to ship things that I may have problems taking on an airplane such as motor and shock oils, extra bodies, tires, practice batteries, stuff like that. A lot of times it's cheaper to do that than to pay the $25 or $50 the airline would charge you for having an overweight bag.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Place your car and radio atleast in a carry on. Also remember that you can't put motor spray, traction compound and things like that on the plane. so you will have to buy those when you get there.

Goto your local Wal-mart and goto the automotive section and get you one ofthe plastic trunks they have for under$20 and put everything in it. Check it in as luggage and just becareful of the 50lbs limits. Or you can do as I doa nd pack it full and pay the overage...LOL
Old 03-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Be glad you dont race nitro. We sometimes have to remove fuel tanks, engines, cant take any fuel, after run oils, nothing. Electric is a piece of cake to take on compared with the gas. I use those plastic tubs and just check it with everything except my radio and whatever else I cant fit in the tubs.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I usally have my valet drive My car to the city the race is in, ck me into a suite ,get my fridge stocked, fly out ,he meets me at the airport , i give him his return boarding pass and back he goes I race and do it all over again it's good to be the king.....
Old 03-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
UPS is your friend. I tend to ship things that I may have problems taking on an airplane such as motor and shock oils, extra bodies, tires, practice batteries, stuff like that. A lot of times it's cheaper to do that than to pay the $25 or $50 the airline would charge you for having an overweight bag.
hey gary... so on your carry on, you bring your radio, chassis... chargers and batteries?

looks like my radio, batteries, chargers and chassis goes on my carry on. spares and misc equipment goes in the check in luggage.

anyone know the weight limit for luggage check in? traveling to a race.. need to know what to do maybe some of the TCS veterans like Doc can give me some pointers since he always travels to all the TCS races.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have travelled a few times with RC.
Usually my chassis, 2 chargers, power supply and cells go into the carry on. Not buy a cheap lightweight carry on, i once made the mistake of getting a flashy carry on and the thing was nearly 5kg without anything in it.

get a radio bag with a shoulder strap and carry on as a shoulder bag, you can also fit a few small heavy things in there like cells, and motors.

Parts, lathe, tools etc all go in luggage, i use a large suitcase, i can fit 4 parts boxes in it with room left over for clothes etc, just make sure you check the weight. (have been caught out here also, thankfully had friends at the airport to take back some stuff)

TOuch wood so far everything has made it to the destination. But at least with a few cells, your car, radio and chargers you will be able to struggle through if the worst happens.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

my previous experience:

load all equipments in your luggage including the chassis, but hand-carry your transmitter and bodyshells, put 'fragile' sign.

normally i'd cover them with plastic bags and then try to pack my clothes around them in the luggage so it will add cushioning, as for your chassis, it's highly recommended that you put it in a box before putting it in your luggage. otherwise you might want to hand-carry it.

I've no problem so far
Old 03-27-2006, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've never flown with R/C equipment before, however I can just imagine getting harassed by some ignorant TSA employee over my gear.

I can just imagine them looking at my Helios in my bag through the XRay machine and hitting a button calling the SWAT team thinking it's some sort of weapon...

Funny thing too, as 1. Batteries 2. Wire 3. Radio Transtitters and receivers are listed as bomb-making materials by the FBI.

Think about it:

Make the bomb out of a pipe casing (steel, screwcaps on each end)

Fill with FFF Goex Black Powder and mix in some nails, ball bearings, or even rocks for good effect. (Or fill with other more powerful home-made explosives)

Drill cap (1/8th inch hole and insert Estes Model rocket igniter with both wires insulated with heatshrink or electrical tape.

Strap receiver, servo and Rx battery to pipe. I'd epoxy them down.

Rig servo to a rocker switch to close circuit and detonate bomb.

Switch on radio, plant bomb...hide...

Wait for convoy, people, dogs, kids, etc to come by and pull the trigger...BOOM!

Makes me wonder if any of the loonies in Iraq are R/C enthusiasts...
Old 03-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thanks for the bomb making instructions..... lol jk
seriously, it depends on the tsa checker. I have found them all to be a little different at each airport. some let radios slide......best to have your car too to back up the radio
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
hey gary... so on your carry on, you bring your radio, chassis... chargers and batteries?

looks like my radio, batteries, chargers and chassis goes on my carry on. spares and misc equipment goes in the check in luggage.

anyone know the weight limit for luggage check in? traveling to a race.. need to know what to do maybe some of the TCS veterans like Doc can give me some pointers since he always travels to all the TCS races.
I carry on the car and radio, sans batteries. That's it. Everything else I check since I figure if they lose it I can bum/borrow/replace it on site. I'd check the radio too if I weren't afraid it would get broken.

Weight depends on the airline. Call them before hand. Midwest is 50lbs, I think Northwest is as well. Jet Blue has no limit (los bastardos!)
Old 03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I carry on the car and radio, sans batteries. That's it. Everything else I check since I figure if they lose it I can bum/borrow/replace it on site. I'd check the radio too if I weren't afraid it would get broken.

Weight depends on the airline. Call them before hand. Midwest is 50lbs, I think Northwest is as well. Jet Blue has no limit (los bastardos!)
You have the right idea! I have a rather large case that I pack all of my equipment into. The case is constructed of 1/4" plywood and has armor plated corners and edges. It closely resembles the cases that music groups use to transport their gear. It usually weighs about 85 - 85 lbs, and Yes I usually get nailed for overweight fees. Though on United, which I fly most often it is only an additional $25, for up to 100 lbs. There's now way that UPS or FED-Ex would be any cheaper. I've been flying to races for almost 10 years now and this system has worked pretty good for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This is a great topic as I am plaining on the IIC Race this coming September. And it will be my first cross state event.

My friend came up with this idea, if you plan bringing your batts and transmitter batts, place them in your laptop bag this is assuming you're brining a laptop but I just thought it was engenious.

as for the rest I was thinking of this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SWK9904

then again I'll only be racing one class so I should be more than enough room and I feel it will fit in the over head.

hope I helped
Old 03-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soviet
I've never flown with R/C equipment before, however I can just imagine getting harassed by some ignorant TSA employee over my gear.

I can just imagine them looking at my Helios in my bag through the XRay machine and hitting a button calling the SWAT team thinking it's some sort of weapon...

Well if you have never flown with RC equipment you shouldn't post a reply to this....

I flew along with a friend to Snowbirds. I thouhgt that we would get some flack from the screeners at the airport with 3 cars and a radio in a carry-on bag.

I simply told them when I placed it on the belt that there were electronics in the bag, actually she ask if there were any electronics. I had Magazines in there also incase they ask I could show them pictures of all of my race stuff in the mag. The bag went thru the scanner and right out to me. I picked it up, put my shoes back on and walked off...

NO PROBLEMS!

I know when Tag and Brandon flew to the Novak, Brandon had the cars and radios in his carry on and Tag had ALL of the Team batteries in his. They said the batteries went thru first and the guy looked up like what are these, then the car bag went thru and he even was smart enough to say "those batteries in that bag goto these cars huh" They were like yep he told them Thanks and they were on thier way... Again No problems!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.