Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Types of Speedcontrols? Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Choice Types of Speedcontrols? Need Input

Hey guys I was looking at getting another speed control, but I am undecided on which route I want to take so I was gonna ask everyone on their preferences. Now keep in mind that brand is not a prefernece choice, but I want to know more of personal reasons why you chose your speedcontrol (like options). Price is also not a preference as many will spend extra money to get what they want. I was thinking of a Quantum 2, Tekin G11 and the Novak GTX/GT7 with the easy to setup LED's or the laptop configured VFS 2000, VFS 1 PRO or Hara Twister lineup. Any helpful input would be appreciated! Thanks Guys!
Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

I have both GTX and VFS-1 Pro Competition. Both of them are great speed controllers! GTX is easy to setup and change the setting, On the other hand, VFS-1 requires the setting adapter, but it has more functions allow you to adjust. As for price, GTX is cheaper than the VFS-1. GTX is more user friendly because they give you 7 profiles to choose from (or customize one). VFS-1 is not very useful if the frequency is not set correctly.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by trf_racer
I have both GTX and VFS-1 Pro Competition. Both of them are great speed controllers! GTX is easy to setup and change the setting, On the other hand, VFS-1 requires the setting adapter, but it has more functions allow you to adjust. As for price, GTX is cheaper than the VFS-1. GTX is more user friendly because they give you 7 profiles to choose from (or customize one). VFS-1 is not very useful if the frequency is not set correctly.
Good reply, but if you had to choose to buy one of the two you just mentioned all over again which one would you buy and why besides the price and if this guy runs it so should I.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run my Twister 2.1 for 19 turn foam, stock rubber, off-road stock buggy, 12th scale and I dont see where the adapter to change the setting would make a HUGE difference. I talked to a guy that had it and he said you MIGHT get a .1 difference per lap if you messed around enough to get the best settings for your application(again it was someone elses experience). Anyways,mine has alot of punch and is really smooth.
I stay away from the LRP Quantum line of speedoes just because I've seen a few go up in smoke locally. I also have the GT7 and I've had other GT7's since they came out and they are awesome speedos as well imo.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
I run my Twister 2.1 for 19 turn foam, stock rubber, off-road stock buggy, 12th scale and I dont see where the adapter to change the setting would make a HUGE difference. I talked to a guy that had it and he said you MIGHT get a .1 difference per lap if you messed around enough to get the best settings for your application(again it was someone elses experience). Anyways,mine has alot of punch and is really smooth.
I stay away from the LRP Quantum line of speedoes just because I've seen a few go up in smoke locally. I also have the GT7 and I've had other GT7's since they came out and they are awesome speedos as well imo.
Good comments. I guess what I could say is what I am looking for is more of what does the majority of people look for in a speedcontrol. Do you prefer the easy setup speedcontrol (built in programming) or the more finetuning speedcontrol that uses a handheld or a pc to program it? Did you buy this speedcontrol because of its size and or weight? For those of you have run both the pc adjustable and easy to setup speedcontrols (built in programming) which one do you like the best? Comments on why you like each one is what I am looking for, but I also want to know which type you would choose (built in programmable or the pc programmable). Keep the comments coming, I would love to hear you ideas!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

If you don't mind setting the ESC with a computer, get the VFS-1. Its not actually hard to set a profile on the unit. You can also download some profiles from KO site and other related sites.

Some people say that the GTX and VFS-1 are both as good, which I also believe. But I opted to buy the VFS-1 instead because this is used by most on-road world champions. Inspite of the programming, I am still using the factory default setting on 23T motors and I am very happy with its performance. I will probably change the setting when I run mod motors and input Hara's setting on the unit.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've personally been through a lot of brands....but the ones I was most pleased with were my current Tekin G10pro+ because of its ease of setup. I also was very pleased with my Mtroniks Cirrus pro esc. The mtroniks is a little more exotic and a hastle to setup, but if you're willing to mess with it, it was really the best esc I've ever had.

But to answer your question, if I were to buy a new esc today, I'd go with the Tekin simply because it's really easy to setup.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=mafiaracers]I also was very pleased with my Mtroniks Cirrus pro esc. The mtroniks is a little more exotic and a hastle to setup, but if you're willing to mess with it, it was really the best esc I've ever had. [QUOTE]

I wonder why mtroniks arent more popular, maybe its lack of marketing.
I love my cirrus pro and bang for the buck it has to be the best value out there.
Has adjustable punch / frequency /brakes 8 different profiles for each and is small and waterproof as well.

As far as ease of setup I didnt feel it was a lot of bother and it certainly beats carting your laptop around.

I choose my speedies with the following criteria in order of importance:

1/. Has to have low on resistance
2/. Price ( I am a family man )
3/. adjustable frequency.
4/. adjustable punch ( parking lot tracks are slippery and dusty )
5/. Adjustable Braking ( new to me with the cirrus pro but a handy feature when running a one-way).
6/. Size.....cars just dont have the space they used to.
7/. Waterproof ( my LRP's never liked getting wet. ).
Old 03-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

I personally would go for the VFS as you can adjust the drive frequency and the dead band. Minimum throtte input is awesome in 27T racing as is the deadband and drive freq. I use a old Novak Cyclone TC2 and it is awesome. Better than lots of those variable frequency models and much cheaper.
You must have a pit wizard or Novak charger to programme it though!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tekin G11, so adjustable with two buttons, and an easy to read display.... does what it says on the tin.

PLUUUUUUUUUUS

This unit just 'FEELS' so linear, what you give on the throttle is exactly what the ESC puts out and just feels the muts nuts. Excelent customer service if you EVER need it, solder fuse to protect it from most whoopsies and mego good on your com and brushes, awesome in any class to, used mine in Stock, 19t and mod and it just is ace.

re: MTroniks - have had a few, not kept any of them, they may be small, but with no serviceable parts, one pop and the ESC is dead (and they do, you get ones that don't and then some that just for no reason do) plus the light system they have for setting up isn't the easiest. Small though, but the new one coming has gotton bigger.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:27 AM
Tech Regular

I haven't got it yet, but my next speedo will be the GTB. The main reason is for the brushed and brushless feature. I don't have to completely change out everything for different classes this way. That and the ease of programing are the reason I'm choosing this one.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I got a GTB and are very pleased with it. It is very easy to setup and the customer service is really good. The only down side is weight and size.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

The choice would depend on the class of racing, if you run stock then you want a speedo with a 'stock programme' to get the best frquencies for the motors.
I currently use a Nosram Dominator Power (Ebay special ) but might go for an MRT Pro, they are working on a worlds spec with very low resistance)

Skiddins
Old 03-25-2006, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

i used to use all novak speedies for about 9 years until recently, never really had a problem with any of them exept for GT7 model which blew a diode internally... and i got replaced through novak with a new or referb model looked b/n when it came.

i am currently running mrt mx pro speedy in stock an modified and so far have found it to work exeptionally well.

i tell a lie above, i also did use a Mtronics "prodigy" one that came with silver outer case, it was also a brilliant esc until someone plugged batteries in reverse and she went pop and let the smoke out... got it repaired but it lost alot of punch an was never the same with the new smoke so i went back to novak.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have tried a few Novaks, Tekin's and LRP's this year but I keep going back to the Twister 2.0 that I have. Essentially the same thing as the 2.1.

For my TC, the Twister is the best that I have run. I will try out some others for offroad this year I'm sure. I have a GTB for my 4wd and might try out the new Brushless they're advertising in the magazines right now. Kinda looks like a bigger version of the mamba's, but it's not. I just can't remember the names right now.