Wiki Posts
Search

Using Tyre Warmers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Using Tyre Warmers

Right, given that the BRCA has made tyre warmers legal for this year, they are gonna be needed for the nationals.
I've not used them before, and I'm wondering what good techniques are too using them? Ie temps to set at, how long for, additive etc...

I've got myself a Much More set, with a 3080 temp controller, and the black cup style warmers.

Thanks in advance
Ed
Old 03-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Most people seem to use the additive as per normal, then cover the tyres with kitchen towel, then place/wrap the warmers around that.
The kitchen towel is used to keep the additive from soaking into the warmers.

In the recent cold weather I've set my Integy ones to max front and back (hot enough for me to burn my fingers if I try touching the inside 'foil' of the warmers). Don't forget to wipe off the tyres before you put the car down.

Once the weather warms up I think it's a case of being carefull not to overheat the tyres before hitting the track and maybe keeping the fronts a bit cooler.

Skiddins
Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

well for myself I normally go with 70 deg Celcius depending on Weather and conditions.

I apply My Sauce the cover with Paper Towel(Toliet Paper works as well), then leave for about 15-20 Minutes, then After remove the warmers, wipe the tire dry, then re-attach my warmers, then remove just before my race is ready to go.

usually works good for me, but i did have the Much More Cup Tire Warmers, and had issues with the controller unit not getting my Tires up to Temp on the Setting i select, so I Upgraded to the New CTX Much More Tire Warmer, and im extremely happy them, perfect every time...

for additive anthing that has a scent in Not Legal, so most everyone use Tire Tweak.

hope that helps
Old 03-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
Right, given that the BRCA has made tyre warmers legal for this year, they are gonna be needed for the nationals.
I've not used them before, and I'm wondering what good techniques are too using them? Ie temps to set at, how long for, additive etc...

I've got myself a Much More set, with a 3080 temp controller, and the black cup style warmers.

Thanks in advance
Ed
Hi' yeah think the warmers are a must really if u dont have them u will be @ a huge disadvantage, thay make such a massive diffrence on the start of the run and thru 2 the end Just gotta get some testing in
see ya @ nat
Old 03-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard

Thanks in advance
Ed
If you hadnt minced off down south to go scrubbing the decks you could have found out all about them, quite a few people had them at the last WB round! I borrowed robs cos there was time between rounds to do that, no temperature control, but they give you the temperatures on the box they heat to depending on voltage input.
Im sure a little resistor job could be made to regulate temperature of them if someone was clever. (not me) Just £30 speedmind jobbys im going to use, most importantly, keep them out of the wind, ill be using the car to pit in, keep everything in the dry and out of the breeze.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The kitchen towel is used to keep the additive from soaking into the warmers.
Not really, its more to absorb the oils in the addatives away from the tire surface.
Thats why you see it being used with aluminum cup warmers too.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

as the (cheap) Much More Tyre warmer is made for Sorex tyres you have to use some paper in between the tyre and the cup for a better fit !! The CS 27 tyres are just a little smaller.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Shop Owner

There is another version of Much More tire warmers that are specifically designed for Take Off tyres

Nick
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

Are Tire Warmers only used for asphalt? I race indoor carpet rubber the tires that I use are Take off 27's. I find that the car is very loose for the first couple of laps, after that the car seems to be in the groove. Will tire warmers fix this? Do any of you guys use tire warmers for indoor carpet rubber?

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes tyre warmers work indoors on carpet, using them on my F1 (when i have access to them) makes a huge difference for the first couple of laps before the tyres are upto temperature vs already at operating temp
Old 03-24-2006, 04:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DR.FeelGood
Are Tire Warmers only used for asphalt? I race indoor carpet rubber the tires that I use are Take off 27's. I find that the car is very loose for the first couple of laps, after that the car seems to be in the groove. Will tire warmers fix this? Do any of you guys use tire warmers for indoor carpet rubber?

Thanks

Chris
I think you are using the wrong kind of additive. If you don't use additive or are not allowed to use, then tyre warmers will help a little.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Initiate

are you wiping the addative off before you get to the line as if the addative is not absorbed and the excess wiped off it will be like driving on ice at the start
Old 03-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frans H
I think you are using the wrong kind of additive. If you don't use additive or are not allowed to use, then tyre warmers will help a little.
I use paragon before the race and yes I wipe off the excess before the car is put on the line. I just seems to be loose before the first 2-3 laps. Then the car is in the groove. I just think the Rubber tires need to heat up a little and hope the tire warmers will fix that.

Chris
Old 03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone use warmers on Foam?

Scott
Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

I very much doubt that thay wud be used on foams as foams are 'soft' 2 start wiv so thay will soak up the additives up much quicker than what rubbers will. its not really the heat of the tires that make them grip as such its the heat of the warmers that make the rubber 'soft' 2 this makes the additive soak deep in 2 the tire in a shorter space of time.
Hope this helps
ste e.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.