Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blanks596
How do you fellas get rid slop in the steering? Has anyone tried using other manufactures linkage and steering systems? ie-ball studs, pivot balls, etc...
I am some of the other AE drivers cut a small square piece (approx 3.5mm square) of plastic bag (thin gauge tire bags work well) and place it inside the ball cup. Then you pop the cup back on and the slop should be reduced but the movement will still be free (it is better to be too loose than too tight).

Some servos can have some play so make sure this is not where the problem is. Also, the bearings can be loose inside the steering system. You can tighten these by taking the back side of an Xacto blade and making a couple of "cuts" to the aluminum so that the bearing will fit in tightly.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am some of the other AE drivers cut a small square piece (approx 3.5mm square) of plastic bag (thin gauge tire bags work well) and place it inside the ball cup. Then you pop the cup back on and the slop should be reduced but the movement will still be free (it is better to be too loose than too tight).

Some servos can have some play so make sure this is not where the problem is. Also, the bearings can be loose inside the steering system. You can tighten these by taking the back side of an Xacto blade and making a couple of "cuts" to the aluminum so that the bearing will fit in tightly.
hey rick when you run the rc8 servo horn with the servo in standard position do you have the steering linkage straight or at an angle. i run a futaba 9452 with the ball in middle hole and in front on short side of horn but its at a slight angle. thanx
Old 04-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

thanks fellas! I put the plastic between the cups after drilling the holes in them. It took away enough slop to keep my car from drifting on the straight at West Coast last night- Now I just have to spend a bit more time playing w/different setups
Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blanks596
How do you fellas get rid slop in the steering? Has anyone tried using other manufactures linkage and steering systems? ie-ball studs, pivot balls, etc...
I used X Ray steering ends on my TC5, works great. The links on the bell crank will need a little sanding to stop binding, but once you do this, its like no other. This set up can't be beat, bullet proof! ZERO slop!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jeremy mac
Hi guys, i saw a few posts back Ackermann was mentioned. Could anyone please give me some info on how to adjust this, and what the adjustments do?
We are running foams (35shore) on mid grip asphalt here in NZ for mod if that makes a difference.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Ackerman is the amount of over steer the tire turning in will have. For example, when you turn the steering to the right, the left wheel will turn, lets say 45 deg. and the right wheel will turn 50 deg, giving your car a little more steering. This can slow you down a bit, being the two tires are turning at different angles and driving at the same time. I use Integy's steering knuckles that have 4 holes for adjustment and it turned my TC5 into an infield battle wagon! It now turns on a dime.
Check out Xtreme RC cars magazine, March 2010, for a complete explanation of Ackerman
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by robsryd
Ackerman is the amount of over steer the tire turning in will have. For example, when you turn the steering to the right, the left wheel will turn, lets say 45 deg. and the right wheel will turn 50 deg, giving your car a little more steering. This can slow you down a bit, being the two tires are turning at different angles and driving at the same time. I use Integy's steering knuckles that have 4 holes for adjustment and it turned my TC5 into an infield battle wagon! It now turns on a dime.
Check out Xtreme RC cars magazine, March 2010, for a complete explanation of Ackerman
Good find on that article. Explained Ackerman nice and simply and the effects of different positions.

Have you had any problems with the Integy Al steering knuckles? Do they increase C hub breakage? Is the bearing size the same as stock?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey rick when you run the rc8 servo horn with the servo in standard position do you have the steering linkage straight or at an angle. i run a futaba 9452 with the ball in middle hole and in front on short side of horn but its at a slight angle. thanx
Mine is slightly angled.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Rick Hohwart;7280393]Mine is slightly angled.[/QUO
Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spongerX
Good find on that article. Explained Ackerman nice and simply and the effects of different positions.

Have you had any problems with the Integy Al steering knuckles? Do they increase C hub breakage? Is the bearing size the same as stock?
Yes, the bearing is the same as the stock.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Mine is slightly angled.
thanx rick just making sure
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

That is where I ended up after racing tonight. Night and day difference. It is so much better. I won't lie though. I could always use more steering. The car handles very well on every part of the track except for high speed on power steering. If I can manage to get more, I would be very pleased. If not, I will just get used to driving it the way it is.

Any suggestions? I'm going to the track again in 6 hours.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk

That is where I ended up after racing tonight. Night and day difference. It is so much better. I won't lie though. I could always use more steering. The car handles very well on every part of the track except for high speed on power steering. If I can manage to get more, I would be very pleased. If not, I will just get used to driving it the way it is.

Any suggestions? I'm going to the track again in 6 hours.

See, I told you so...

Try thicker front oil.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, will do. Will I get the same effect from just moving the shocks in more vertical?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
Ok, will do. Will I get the same effect from just moving the shocks in more vertical?
It won't have the same effect.

Also, do you have an extra ball diff for the front? I know you said that you didn't want to use the 1-way, but do you have an extra diff to try in the front? A front diff may give you the effect you want.

My setup is almost the same as yours except I'm running 40wt all around, 6deg caster, black sway bars all around, and a front 1-way. I have incredible on and off power steering.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

I really want to put my 1 way back in, but there is a big race coming up and they won't allow 1 ways!

I do have a ball diff. I'll see if I can get it together. I tried black sway bars, but it made my car feel like it was on ice. I don't know why they wont work for me. Everyone else seems to like them.

Today, I'm going to try 40 wt oil and 6degree caster blocks. I'll report back later today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.