Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is good info Rick. I learned a lot just from that post.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ok so I have driven my car on carpet a few times now and I am wondering what the routine maintenance is on it. What should you do after every day of running?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_Money
Ok so I have driven my car on carpet a few times now and I am wondering what the routine maintenance is on it. What should you do after every day of running?
Not much, Check the shocks make sure there's no air in them (they will feel smooth if they are good and there will be no signs of obvious leaks). Obviously check to see if anything's bent broken or wore out, bearings especially. Take the universals apart and give them a good cleaning and lubing. Diffs if properly built will usually last a couple months worth of weekly club racing before needing tore down. Other than that keep it clean and visually inspect it, overall it's a pretty tough car that requires minimum care.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trerc
Not much, Check the shocks make sure there's no air in them (they will feel smooth if they are good and there will be no signs of obvious leaks). Obviously check to see if anything's bent broken or wore out, bearings especially. Take the universals apart and give them a good cleaning and lubing. Diffs if properly built will usually last a couple months worth of weekly club racing before needing tore down. Other than that keep it clean and visually inspect it, overall it's a pretty tough car that requires minimum care.
Also check the bearings.. When racing on carpet, some fluf gets in the bearing. The best way to get them out the without spending too much time:

1. Hold the bearing with a tool (F.e. the Much More Bearing Remover), or just put it around some pliers. By widening it you can make sure it doesn't fall off without damaging the bearing.

2. When there are parts of the fluf hanging out, just light them with a lighter. (When you can't see anything, but you think there is fluf in it. Spray some brake or motorcleaner over it and light it. )

3. After a few seconds the burning will stop, just let the bearings cool down.

4. Use some ball bearing oil or sewing machine oil to lubricate them again. And you're done.

When you want to take extra good care of them, after step 3 put the bearings in a ultrasonic cleaner. Fill the cleaning device with brakecleaner, put the bearings in them (you can also put the other metal parts like bulkheads in). When the ultrasonic cleaner is finished check if the bearings run freely. If not put them in again.

You'll probably be amazed about how dirty the brakecleaner will become inside the ultrasonic. When everything is cleaned, throw the brakecleaner out, clean the inside of the ultrasonic, put new brakecleaner. And give your bearings and metal parts an extra round in the ultrasonic cleaner. This is to make sure the dustparts coming in because of the dirty brakecleaner get out too.

After that lubricate them like I explained in step 4. And you're done.
Doing this a lot really lengthens the life expectancy of bearings. Racing 1,5 to 2 years with one set of bearings is nothing special. The only bearings I had to replace were broken bearings. Even when racing in the rain.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Note I said "especially bearings"

I'll go on a little further here to say go to Avid and buy some replacements, they're a $1 ea. Chances are if your bearings feel gritty they're beyond a good cleaning The bearings in the rear hubs and steering blocks take the most abuse. The bearings in the center line will usually last for a few cleanings. If your racing carpet only you will be fine to replace your bearings will full metal shielded bearings, these are much faster than full rubber shield bearings, Avid also make a Revolution bearing which is metal shield on one side and Rubber on the other. Anyway here's a link to Avid, great bearings, great service.

http://www.avidrc.com/
Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Anyone know if bd5 spools will fit tc5?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Great post on bearing care guys. I would like to add a couple more points.

If using rubber shielded bearings use denatured alcohol instead of brake clean. Brake clean can swell seals and some other rubber.

Boca I think, did testing and found Mobil One to perform the best. Most any oil will work and have less resistance over grease of course.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Smile If you dont have a ultrasonic bearing cleaner

Originally Posted by Rick Thomson
Also check the bearings.. When racing on carpet, some fluf gets in the bearing. The best way to get them out the without spending too much time:

1. Hold the bearing with a tool (F.e. the Much More Bearing Remover), or just put it around some pliers. By widening it you can make sure it doesn't fall off without damaging the bearing.

2. When there are parts of the fluf hanging out, just light them with a lighter. (When you can't see anything, but you think there is fluf in it. Spray some brake or motorcleaner over it and light it. )

3. After a few seconds the burning will stop, just let the bearings cool down.

4. Use some ball bearing oil or sewing machine oil to lubricate them again. And you're done.

When you want to take extra good care of them, after step 3 put the bearings in a ultrasonic cleaner. Fill the cleaning device with brakecleaner, put the bearings in them (you can also put the other metal parts like bulkheads in). When the ultrasonic cleaner is finished check if the bearings run freely. If not put them in again.

You'll probably be amazed about how dirty the brakecleaner will become inside the ultrasonic. When everything is cleaned, throw the brakecleaner out, clean the inside of the ultrasonic, put new brakecleaner. And give your bearings and metal parts an extra round in the ultrasonic cleaner. This is to make sure the dustparts coming in because of the dirty brakecleaner get out too.

After that lubricate them like I explained in step 4. And you're done.
Doing this a lot really lengthens the life expectancy of bearings. Racing 1,5 to 2 years with one set of bearings is nothing special. The only bearings I had to replace were broken bearings. Even when racing in the rain.

If you dont have a ultrasonic bearing cleaner, you can place them inside a container and o top of a fish tank pump it will do the job
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by defcone
Anyone know if bd5 spools will fit tc5?
Don't know to be honest, but why should you??

When you don't like the TC5 spool, you'd better go for the spool of Titanium Racing. Their F1 Competition Super Spool is just amazing.

In fact it really is an improvement to the standard spool. Price is a little over 30 dollar (19,99 sterling), and it's very strong and improves the handling of the car.

For more info check the TR website.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jorge G
If you dont have a ultrasonic bearing cleaner, you can place them inside a container and o top of a fish tank pump it will do the job
Lol and when you don't have a ultrasonic cleaner or a fish tank, you'd better buy a ultrasonic bearing cleaner. Because the fish tank and the fish are more expensive and need more maintenance

People looking for a ultrasonic bearing cleaner, get info about it from your local optician. And ask if you can buy an ultrasonic cleaner they use for the glasses and lenses, this one is exactly the same as the ones you sometimes see at RC shops. But this one is better priced (normally)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

any word on the inline bulkheads... or just give up hope?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Thomson
Don't know to be honest, but why should you??

When you don't like the TC5 spool, you'd better go for the spool of Titanium Racing. Their F1 Competition Super Spool is just amazing.

In fact it really is an improvement to the standard spool. Price is a little over 30 dollar (19,99 sterling), and it's very strong and improves the handling of the car.

For more info check the TR website.
I'm ordering a body from this website, and I saw the Roche spool for bd5, so since it doesnt add to shipping, i was thinking about it as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
any word on the inline bulkheads... or just give up hope?

King Headz are making some and should be out soon.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zake540
King Headz are making some and should be out soon.
photos?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
photos?
I'll try to get update this weekend. But check out their alum spur gear hub, very nice piece.

http://www.kingheads.com/index.php?c...2c0783ec53f60e

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.