Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC5 >

Team Associated TC5

Team Associated TC5

Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey guys i noticed that setup has no sway bars. my car touches down on left side of chassis and the motor scrapes the ground in the sweeper. this is 13.5 and i run sway bars. any thoughts on this. thanx
Old 05-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey guys i noticed that setup has no sway bars. my car touches down on left side of chassis and the motor scrapes the ground in the sweeper. this is 13.5 and i run sway bars. any thoughts on this. thanx
dude ive been tryin to get my motor from scraping i made a few changes to my car gona try them today if they work i will let u know but if not and u find somethin let me know plzzzzz
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

For you guys with your motor hitting are the setups you using have alot of body roll or are the ride heights low? I ran my car for the first time and didn't have this issue but don't mean I can't in the future so just wonder what type of setups guys are using that have this problem.

The track I ran on was a bit bumpy in some areas so I went from 40wt oil with Losi 57 pistons to 35 oil and it really helped out. I run 2a on the roll centers and Associated blue front springs and Associated silver rear springs.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
For you guys with your motor hitting are the setups you using have alot of body roll or are the ride heights low? I ran my car for the first time and didn't have this issue but don't mean I can't in the future so just wonder what type of setups guys are using that have this problem.

The track I ran on was a bit bumpy in some areas so I went from 40wt oil with Losi 57 pistons to 35 oil and it really helped out. I run 2a on the roll centers and Associated blue front springs and Associated silver rear springs.
Another suggestion to try. Not enough weight on side opposite the motor. This can be especially true when changing to lipo, and either not rebalancing the car, or not getting the weight far enough from center of the car. I see people load up the inside of the battery with weights, and although the car may balance on beams, when you go into a corner the weight shift will not react the same as weight further from center.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Verndog
Another suggestion to try. Not enough weight on side opposite the motor. This can be especially true when changing to lipo, and either not rebalancing the car, or not getting the weight far enough from center of the car. I see people load up the inside of the battery with weights, and although the car may balance on beams, when you go into a corner the weight shift will not react the same as weight further from center.
Thanks. I know this time back into touring I weighed every piece of electronics, including the lipo pack and the new PPD weight I have. I had the electronics side at 11.2oz and the battery side was at 13.6 I added 2oz ot tungstun steel weights I have that are super small and bring it up to right at 13.4 to 13.5 on the electronics side so my balance when I was all done and checked everything was excellent for me. I might look into the Diggity offset lipo tray holder. I currently have the standard lipo tray from Diggity.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanx verndog. this might be something to look into. i have the ppd bottom and side plate and my car balances perfect but maybe i need the offset tray i have the standard one from diggitty
Old 05-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr crum
dude ive been tryin to get my motor from scraping i made a few changes to my car gona try them today if they work i will let u know but if not and u find somethin let me know plzzzzz
mr crum im gonna try verndog suggestions and move the battery out mory on chassis i will let you know how it goes
Old 05-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wyd

1a and associated blue all the way around
Old 05-17-2009, 02:39 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by mr crum
1a and associated blue all the way around
Thanks. I know when I got my TC5R used it had 1a on it. I know the last time it was run was rubber tire carpet.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
mr crum im gonna try verndog suggestions and move the battery out mory on chassis i will let you know how it goes
Also not sure if anyone looked at this or if it applies, but some people are loosening the upper motor mount screw, or leaving out completely for increased chassis flex. If you have, also try to tighten it back up...possibly a small amount of additional flex or movement there could add to the problem.

Good luck...let us know what it was. I've seen a few reports of this now.

As a rule of thumb, running a 9-10+ oz 5000+ size pack and a 3 oz base plate, getting the battery right at the chassis edge should not drag motor with little to no additional weight (in most cases.)
Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

Also not sure if anyone looked at this or if it applies, but some people are loosening the upper motor mount screw, or leaving out completely for increased chassis flex. If you have, also try to tighten it back up...possibly a small amount of additional flex or movement there could add to the problem.

Good luck...let us know what it was. I've seen a few reports of this now.

As a rule of thumb, running a 9-10+ oz 5000+ size pack and a 3 oz base plate, getting the battery right at the chassis edge should not drag motor with little to no additional weight (in most cases.)
i run without that screw ill try that
Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Just for a reference, I ran with the motor mount screw missing, blue springs front and back, 5mm ride height, Diggity Designs offset Lipo tray with all extra weight along the centre line or forward or rearward of the lipo, but still on the chassis and I have no problem with my motor hitting the ground.

On a side note, I have since replaced the screw attaching the motor mount to the bulkhead and removed the forwardmost motor mount screw (from below) and was happy with the result.

Regards

Neal
Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Redwood

On a side note, I have since replaced the screw attaching the motor mount to the bulkhead and removed the forwardmost motor mount screw (from below) and was happy with the result.

Regards

Neal
Did you gain more overall traction when you removed the screw from the front part of the motor mount? Did it seem to make the car feel more consistant? I'm new to the TC5R and have not caught up on all the mods guys are doing to the car.

Thanks
Brian
Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default the best way to balance a car

I was wanting some of your opinions. I have been told to just set the ride height and not worry about scaling the car. I scale the car with my ride height and it scales way off. I will adjust the preloads to get the car to balance out but my ride heghts are off. Just wanting to know what you guys think. I am running both TC5s one in foam and one in VTA
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigdanes
I was wanting some of your opinions. I have been told to just set the ride height and not worry about scaling the car. I scale the car with my ride height and it scales way off. I will adjust the preloads to get the car to balance out but my ride heghts are off. Just wanting to know what you guys think. I am running both TC5s one in foam and one in VTA
You want your car to tweak straight. As long as it passes minimum ride height, don't worry if it's a bit off corner to corner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.