Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC5 >

Team Associated TC5

Team Associated TC5

Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default VTA set-up

Ok, I have some green springs coming. Oil in shocks today is 40 wt, I will get some lighter grades. I think most of the bad handling was due to excessive arm travel, this also allowed shocks to hyper extend and then bottom out. I hear you about the wife and $ spent on toys. DP
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Green in the rear works quite well with silver/blue in front. 40wt is about right maybe 35. Lower will be a rolly Polly car i think.
One thing im trying is losi pistons. Have to ream Them Out to fit but they feel Pretty smooth so far.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone have a Vta set up that has worked well on a low/medium traction carpet I'm running the kit recommended set up its all right but i feel i could be doing much better.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default VTA set-up for carpet

I raced today and car was very loose on power until I put the silver springs in front. Now the car is fast and very drivable, certainly the best the car has run for me in 3 events so far this year.

I am using green springs in the back with 40 wt shock oil front and rear, 3 degrees rear toe, arm blocks at 2A all around, front droop at 4, rear at 3. Ride height is 6.5 front, 6.0 rear, shocks at 3A and 2A front and rear.

Thanks again Valk.

DP
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

thats pretty much what im running in 17.5 though i went blue front/green rear, but i might go back to silver as my rear end was pretty rolly. almost had TOO much traction, but the car transitioned well, just had a lot of roll.

im running 35 wt all around and losi 57 pistons. 4.5 preload in the front/3 in the rear. 4 droop front 3 droop rear. though i find it hard to set the droop with anything but a micrometer. i had the ae droop tool but i only use it on one side, then put the car down on a flat surface and micrometer the other side to match.

also, im running black swaybars front/rear, though im not sure how to set them up. just set them to be level on both sides at ride height.

another thing i didnt tell you was track width. im running 4mm extra track width in the front.

once you have the car driving in a way you like, only make one change at a time, and to one axle. then you can tell what that setting did or didnt do and you can begin to isolate settings that work with your tires and traction level. glad its working out for you!. im still novice at this myself.
i found that vrc was very useful in getting basic setup stuff figured out. just putting a team driver setup on and hoping for the best wasnt great as my driving style was different. though, rick howart had some really good setups for his t5 that can give you an idea of where to put the blocks ect, shock setups ect.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default VTA set-up

I gave away my old droop gauge when I sold my worn out TC3 2 years ago so I also use a micrometer (last year I raced an old 1/12 scale car). I have no sway-bars on the TC5 right now. I do have a small copy of the X-ray tuning sheet and that helps step me through making small adjustments. Yesterday on the rear camber links I had to move them to the inside to get enough turnbuckle range for 2 degrees negative camber.

I learned Sunday that VTA racing can be a lot of fun when the car is working properly. DP
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Has the AE TC5 always had a solid front spool? I'm used to my TC3's which have a differential. The TC5 sure has a different feel with the solid spool.

Is a front diff an an option on a TC5? What is the benefit with the solid front spool? Do most new touring cars have this type of set up now? I've got my set up back per the manual from the guy I bought it from, but its still driving on ice a little. My TC3's handle great on ozite, but the TC5 I'm just not planted like I would expect.

Signed,

Old Dog learning new tricks

Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Has the AE TC5 always had a solid front spool? I'm used to my TC3's which have a differential. The TC5 sure has a different feel with the solid spool.

Is a front diff an an option on a TC5? What is the benefit with the solid front spool? Do most new touring cars have this type of set up now? I've got my set up back per the manual from the guy I bought it from, but its still driving on ice a little. My TC3's handle great on ozite, but the TC5 I'm just not planted like I would expect.

Signed,

the TC5 had diff originally, think that the chassis was made for 6 cells, so when you go lipo, it needs to be tweak a good bit.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Run a diff. up front if you are running on a small tight loose track.The spools work on long big open tracks.Most every Tc car now, comes standard with a spool or gear diff...//||

Last edited by tc3jp; 01-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tc3jp
Run a diff. up front if you are running on a small tight loose track.They work on long big open tracks.Most every Tc car now, comes standard with a spool.
Spool is probably already old stuff, front gear diff with heavy oil/putty is the way to go now
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com

Signed,

you could of ask me..(von).. what i was running as far as set up on the tc5..i think mines run pretty good..im stomping with the big dogs
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

hi guys, on the tc5 rear arm mounts, to set the rear toe, if i put 3mm spacers at the very back will this give me 3 degrees toe?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Default Rear toe for TC5 & front spool.

You need to use two 1.5 degree shims on the rear, one on each side for a total rear toe in setting of 3 degrees. Check the manual.

My TC5R came with a front spool, I run it now as is. I may try a front diff next year for VTA.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olly986
Spool is probably already old stuff, front gear diff with heavy oil/putty is the way to go now
Does anyone make a gear diff for the TC5? One that doesn't need different axles etc.

Last edited by 06meanstreak; 01-05-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ktm11rider
Just got mine all put together ready for some carpet racing!
Looks sharp.
How's the side to side balance? I build all my TC5 with offset lipo retainer, to even out Left and Right balance. (btw, I have one for sale now, and 2nd for sale soon)
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-tc5f-rtr.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.