R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #12946
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
Just pushing the Lipo to the outside makes the car handle bad, because you dont have the same weight (and inertia) on both sides.
As I wrote three pages before: Just balancing is not enough. Saving weight also is not necessary here because the car was built for Nimh and does not like being light.
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #12947
Tech Fanatic

Valk I thing your battery is a bit too far outside, you could bring it in a little more and still get some balance with weight, the roll must be atrocious with this setup.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #12948
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

ill muck around with it some more. took 80 grams off with this setup, not sure how much i can lose with the motor moved in. no more than 20 grams.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #12949
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

alright. put the lipo retainer back inboard. still outboard 1/4" from stock location to clear my flipped belts.
had to put 63 grams back on to balance, but i imagine ill have to buy a box of weights and attach them to each lipo i have to get it accurate. so moving the motor position lost 17 grams and some change with the metal i got rid of.

bleh. for all the work though, im sure the bearings i replaced and dif i relubed made a bigger difference lol.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #12950
Tech Fanatic

The best is to do a whole either at back or front of battery, or both and screw your weights down onto chassis.

No messing then with weights on batteries.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #12951
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Valk, again, some cars like weight, particularly if they were originally designed for NiMh batteries. I have a Yokomo drift car that's like that, it simply would not handle properly with LiPo until I made up the weight difference in the battery tray. I run 84g in my B44, we all run 1 to 1.5 oz in the B4, etc. The cars simply handle better with a little added weight. You're working on static balance, but once the car starts rolling there are dynamic changes that take place, and even if the car is "balanced" it may not be happy if too light. Don't be afraid to add weight if it's not handling the way you want.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #12952
Tech Rookie

ya i agree..Overall better quality
proampsmalaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #12953
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

has anyone used the TOP photon spool in the tc5?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #12954
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
has anyone used the TOP photon spool in the tc5?
No idea it if fits but I haven't really had a issue with them.

But I would use the steal or alloy out drives and glue them in, then they are a great unit and really light.
J SiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #12955
Tech Fanatic

yes, there is no issue with AE aluminium spool (with blades), you can also make wet and dry "discs" glued on and probably use pads from the TC6 (not tried personaly)

Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #12956
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
yes, there is no issue with AE aluminium spool (with blades), you can also make wet and dry "discs" glued on and probably use pads from the TC6 (not tried personaly)
I know there is no issue with the ae spool I was trying to use the photon gear diff in the tc5 I believe it should work ,
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #12957
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
I know there is no issue with the ae spool I was trying to use the photon gear diff in the tc5 I believe it should work ,
I read something about Photon gear diff but if I recall it was for TC6 "transplant"

I use Sakura diffs on TC6 with RRR Kyosho outdrive, I guess that if you find outdrives with longer bodies but same internal shaft it is possible to fit one, I wonder if a RRR diff gear would fit in TC5, might look into this as I still have both.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #12958
Tech Master

I've been running TC3's for the last two years. I've been wanting to buy a TC6 to get current. However, the price tag is way painful.

Is the TC6 that much better than a TC5? A used TC5 is a much better hit to the ol' hobby stash.

(Yes, i'm sure this has been covered previously in this thread, but I don't want to read 800 pages!)

Thanks for the free advice!

USVTA #144

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 10-18-2011 at 11:37 AM.
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #12959
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
I've been running TC3's for the last two years. I've been wanting to buy a TC6 to get current. However, the price tag is way painful.

Is the TC6 that much better than a TC5? A used TC5 is a much better hit to the ol' hobby stash.

(Yes, i'm sure this has been covered previously in this thread, but I don't want to read 800 pages!)

Thanks for the free advice!

I owned two TC5s before moving over to the TC6. The single word answer to your question is an unqualified "Yes".

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #12960
Tech Fanatic

TC5 are not that bad, but it was a car made for Nimh batteries rather than Lipo.

They are still plenty around tracks the world over, and if it is just to play on your local car park, it is a safe, cheap buy, for proper competition racing with all the latest equipment, yes TC6 is a much better balanced car.

They are a few options to make a TC5 better, different chassis like Exotek for exemple, battery position, inner motor mount etc...if you can find a chassis with some of these parts second hand at a cheap price, go for it if the finance cannot get you a TC6, and I know, some people will keep telling you that a TC6 is better than a TC5....if it wasn't it would not exist !