R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #12556
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wondering if anyone can help me with my problem? When turning my inside rear wheel seems to be lifting up and more on corner exit on power. Tried adjusting droop,tires,springs. Here is the setup im running with a spool. thanks! Attached Files Josh Hohnstein setup.pdf (205.1 KB, 214 views)
franc furter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #12557
Tech Initiate

Okay, does anyone really have time to search 800+ pages?

Please help me, whats key differences in an asphalt versus carpet setup? I'll run my first two TC races on an outdoor asphalt track that the cars previous owner already had the car fairly dialed for. However, after the two outdoor races, we switch to an indoor carpet arena for the fall and winter. What setup chages should I anticipate having to make? And what handling differences should I theoretically notice in the car between the two surfaces?

TC5R, JACO Blue rubber (mandated tire), Novak GTB (zero timing advance allowed), Trinity Nemesis 17.5, Silver front springs, blue rear springs, 35wt front/25wt rear, Belts medium, Futaba S9451 servo, front one-way, Silver front swaybar, black rear.

I'm new to TC, having run mostly offroad, and some pan-car and legend cars back in the day.

I'll go page surfing through the 800+ pages of info eventually, but does anyone have a quick link to a good TC handling guide? After the two asphalt races, I am gonna set the car to the factory default setup.

DOC
DOCSpanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #12558
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCSpanky View Post
Okay, does anyone really have time to search 800+ pages?

Please help me, whats key differences in an asphalt versus carpet setup? I'll run my first two TC races on an outdoor asphalt track that the cars previous owner already had the car fairly dialed for. However, after the two outdoor races, we switch to an indoor carpet arena for the fall and winter. What setup chages should I anticipate having to make? And what handling differences should I theoretically notice in the car between the two surfaces?

TC5R, JACO Blue rubber (mandated tire), Novak GTB (zero timing advance allowed), Trinity Nemesis 17.5, Silver front springs, blue rear springs, 35wt front/25wt rear, Belts medium, Futaba S9451 servo, front one-way, Silver front swaybar, black rear.

I'm new to TC, having run mostly offroad, and some pan-car and legend cars back in the day.

I'll go page surfing through the 800+ pages of info eventually, but does anyone have a quick link to a good TC handling guide? After the two asphalt races, I am gonna set the car to the factory default setup.

DOC
For carpet, you'll probably have to change the roll center and perhaps stiffen the front suspension.

First, You have the springs backwards, blue should be up front and silver should be in the rear. You'll probably want to go with at least 40wt shock oil all around. Use the spool instead of the 1-way.

Second, you'll probably want to use the 3A arm mounts front and rear for carpet. You may want to use stiffer springs up front...depends on your driving style. There are other things you can do, such as CA the sidewalls of your front tires, but you'll have to experiment to see what's best for you and your driving style.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #12559
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i'd keep the one-way in and just swap to blue front springs silver rear springs first with slightly heavier oil. since you are already running a 35/25 wt oil split go to 45/35 to keep a similar front to rear balance.

The carpet is most likely going to have enough traction for the one-way to be the faster choice. Also I find on carpet there is enough traction I end up using a higher roll center and actually run 2A mounts or a 1A/2A setup.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #12560
Tech Initiate

Everyone is running the one-way on the carpet, so that will stay for sure. The car used to be a VTA car so I assume that may have been why the springs were like that.

I wish there were more body choices, seems like the only way to go is with the MAZDA Speed 6 or other like generic body. I thought lots of folks were running a DODGE STRATUS body for a long time, I guess it got eclipsed somewhere along the way.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #12561
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

What is the thickness of the Exotec Top Deck and Chasis?

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. - Muhammad Ali
Castradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #12562
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castradamus View Post
What is the thickness of the Exotec Top Deck and Chasis?
The Exotek website lists the thickness of the flex top plate and battery straps at 2mm thick.
It also states "100% American made quasi weave 2mm thick carbon fiber" under the chassis specs with it also being narrow at 100mm wide.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:57 AM   #12563
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just bought what I now know is a TC5X (noob) any of you guys know where I could find setups for the TC5X for carpet/asphalt?
Thanks in advance, GeorgeC
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #12564
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speced View Post
Has anyone found washers that will work well for adjusting the toe? What size, diameter and thickness should I be looking for? Any available online? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Thanks Rick. Just to make it clear, if I wanted to get 2.5* or 3* of rear toe, which washers would I use?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #12565
Tech Master

For every .8mm of shim you will get 1 deg of toe.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #12566
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Just bought what I now know is a TC5X (noob) any of you guys know where I could find setups for the TC5X for carpet/asphalt?
Thanks in advance, GeorgeC
george,
here is the exotek set-up we use. its very consistent and very fast in both 17.5 and 13.5 change camber setting to 2 degrees.. the zenon tires we used to run liked alot of camber. we are using solaris tires now. also the set-up has tamiya shocks. i use associated with 35 weight oil and losi 57 pistons. for carpet use christer andersons set-up on associated website. this is the best set-up ive ever run on rubber tire carpet with exotek chassis any questions feel free to pm me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf http___67.199.85.166_racing_setups_tc5_blank_edit_2008.pdf (311.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #12567
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
george,
here is the exotek set-up we use. its very consistent and very fast in both 17.5 and 13.5 change camber setting to 2 degrees.. the zenon tires we used to run liked alot of camber. we are using solaris tires now. also the set-up has tamiya shocks. i use associated with 35 weight oil and losi 57 pistons. for carpet use christer andersons set-up on associated website. this is the best set-up ive ever run on rubber tire carpet with exotek chassis any questions feel free to pm me.
Thank you so much! will definitely stay in touch.
GeorgeC.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #12568
Tech Initiate

Get a job George...... I think I am gonna get the stratus body... you know I can't be a conformist......

DOC
Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #12569
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCSpanky View Post
Get a job George...... I think I am gonna get the stratus body... you know I can't be a conformist......

DOC
There is good reason many run the Mazda body...rear down force =)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #12570
Tech Adept

I'm partial to the LTC-R these days. Protoform Stratus 3.0 feels really slow. Gotta cut down the rear wing a lot. MazdaSpeed 6 felt too loose to me.

LTC-R is a nice compromise of rear down force and good top speed.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote