R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #12376
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Can anyone summarize what the handling benefits are with the Exotek chassis?

I now have the inline motor mount set for my 5R and was wondering if I should go for the Exotek kit as well.
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #12377
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
Can anyone summarize what the handling benefits are with the Exotek chassis?

I now have the inline motor mount set for my 5R and was wondering if I should go for the Exotek kit as well.
it was the best single investment i have made more flez and way more consistant left to right
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #12378
Tech Adept

Is it better to get the Exotek chassis with the CF battery retainer or the steel ones? With the CF retainer I'd have to mount my pack further out on the chassis away from the centre line to maintain balance correct?

I use SMC 5200 24C cells with PPD billet weights on the side and don't plan on taking off the weights as they protect the packs well from all the hacks that like to T-bone cars at my track. The packs with the weights weigh about 12.2 ounces.

Would the CF or steel retainer option work better in this situation?
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #12379
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerX View Post
Is it better to get the Exotek chassis with the CF battery retainer or the steel ones? With the CF retainer I'd have to mount my pack further out on the chassis away from the centre line to maintain balance correct?

I use SMC 5200 24C cells with PPD billet weights on the side and don't plan on taking off the weights as they protect the packs well from all the hacks that like to T-bone cars at my track. The packs with the weights weigh about 12.2 ounces.

That would depend on the track and the car's feeling. With High grip, you want to run everything as close to the centre line as possible. With low grip you want to run it more outboard. But I think it's more need when it's close to the centre line.

Marc Reinhard drove one steel, one carbon holder on his 416 Exoteck chassis this weekend at the ETS, that's also a good option :-)

Best Regards Robert
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #12380
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

It depends more on what weight limit you have to meet. For ROAR's 1420g, the steel retainers will get you spot on, And youll only need a few more grams with a LW body. If you run something lower, like 1350g, you may want the carbon ones, and try to get all the all the electronics as inline as possible to minimize the amount of weight you have to add to balance the car.

P_car - It will give you more traction and a better feel with rubber tire.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #12381
Tech Adept

I don't have any weight limits at my track and not racing internationally so weight for regulations isn't too much of a concern for me but my track does have very low traction and I find when the car rolls a bit more it handles better.

Guess I'll have to try both types to see what works better for me.

The Exotek site always seems to be out of stock of one component I'd like to get. Right now no TC5X with Steel retainers. They have the CF ones tho.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #12382
Tech Master

Thanks for the help guys, seems like the Exotek chassis is the way to go. Hey if it's good enough for Marc Reinhard....
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #12383
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed517 View Post
AE has a deal on the F right now. Go to their web store 275.00+ tax shipped. then order the Exotec chassis and top deck. thats what i did. dont forget the layshaft bearing holders they free up the front belt and lower the gear 1.25mm.
sweet, thanks man!
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #12384
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:

i say the steel ones i use them and i dont have a lick of those pesky lead weight on my car anywhere
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #12385
Tech Regular

So far there is 3 tc5's in the top ten at Reedy invitational class. Not bad for a 4+ year old car.
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #12386
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
So far there is 3 tc5's in the top ten at Reedy invitational class. Not bad for a 4+ year old car.
Any asso drivers setup sheet at Reedy invitational class ? like Rick, Juho, Keven, Mike,,,,,Any photos of their car ?
They shown us 4+ year old car still very strong in competitions.......Wait to see.....
mos-leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #12387
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default TC5 Setup

I am in need of a 17.5 setup for my tc5...i am running a tekin speedo...we run on carpet 70x30ft, very technical....i need a setup that sticks to the ground..i would rather traction roll than slide all over the place..any suggestions....i am all ears with this...tc is not my thing...i need plenty of steering and traction...the track has medium to high bite..i have checked the associated site for setups and i could not find anything that looks like my track conditions and motor...
obi wun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #12388
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obi wun View Post
I am in need of a 17.5 setup for my tc5...i am running a tekin speedo...we run on carpet 70x30ft, very technical....i need a setup that sticks to the ground..i would rather traction roll than slide all over the place..any suggestions....i am all ears with this...tc is not my thing...i need plenty of steering and traction...the track has medium to high bite..i have checked the associated site for setups and i could not find anything that looks like my track conditions and motor...
You're on your own with the Tekin since I run LRP, but check my setup in this post: Team Associated TC5
The car feels much better than with any other setup I've used.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #12389
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos-leung View Post
Any asso drivers setup sheet at Reedy invitational class ? like Rick, Juho, Keven, Mike,,,,,Any photos of their car ?
They shown us 4+ year old car still very strong in competitions.......Wait to see.....
Any info and setups?

TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #12390
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
In the end, there were 4 TC5s in the top ten (Levanen, Hohwart, Jelich, and Hebert). Lex Tyler finished 11th and Blackstock was 15th. All ran the Exotek chassis with UK bulkheads except Jelich who ran a stock car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos-leung View Post
There is a good write-up with links to many photos at rcevilempire.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz View Post
Any info and setups?

We will post Juho's setup as soon as we get it from him.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote