R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #12181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Here is my current setup.

I need more on power/high speed steering. Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #12182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Exotek chassis is very nice, I ran it today. Got a new personal best time of 23.4 seconds and consistently did 14 laps in each final.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncec23 View Post
my TC5 i call it the "red rocket"
*red tc5 pics*
Nice, the red parts available as after market or you just got them re-anodized yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post

First thing I'd do is changing the caster from 6 to 4, I seem to get plenty of high speed steering and my settings are otherwise very close to yours. Except I'm running say bars.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #12183
Tech Elite

Thanks. I actually just swapped it to 4 degree casters after reading the Tc5 manual again. I'll give this a shot.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #12184
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:

Are you running on carpet or asphalt? There seems to be several things wrong with your setup if you're trying to get more high speed steering. First, I'll say that everyone's driving style and the track they run on are different. Second, I'll say that my TC5 has rediculous on-power and off-power steering...I pretty much drive my car like a pan car...nearly full-throttle around the entire track (outdoor asphalt track).

1) Give your front slightly less ride height than the rear. That will give your car a slightly more caster effect, which gives your car more on-power steering. Go with 4.5 or 5mm.

2) Stay with the 6deg caster blocks. If you want more on-power steering, you need more caster. I run the 6deg and they're awesome. Again depends on driving style and setup.

3) Try giving your car a slightly longer wheel base. Perhaps, 2mm in both the front and the rear. Or, even 1mm in the front and 2mm in the rear. The longer the wheel base, the more the car will feel like a freight train. This is good if your track is high traction or has long straights and sweepers where you need more on-power steering.

4) The reason why I ask if you're on carpet is because you're running the 3A mounts all around. If you're on asphalt, you may want to switch to the 2A, which generally has less traction than carpet. It'll get your car to react a little better. 3A gives you a higher roll center and is perhaps, better for carpet.

5) How's your off-power steering? You could try giving your car 4mm droop in the rear. This will let the car transition to the front a little more when entering corners and give more traction to the front.

6) Try running sway bars, at least the blacks all around. This will make your car slightly more stable.

7) You're way too soft with your suspension. If you want your car to have plenty of steering, then you need to go stiffer. Try at least 40wt all around and go back to the blue spring in the front and silver in the rear. You may even want to try the gold spring in the front. Stiffer in the front causes your car to react faster and be able to handle more speed.

8) Lastly, have you tried the Assoc 1-way for this car? I use it and it made a world of difference. Give it a try. Be warned, you can't use your brakes with a 1-way...but, you shouldn't be using any brakes/drag brakes any way if you want to go fast

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth...2 cents.

Last edited by bfong13; 04-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #12185
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfong13 View Post
Are you running on carpet or asphalt? There seems to be several things wrong with your setup if you're trying to get more high speed steering. First, I'll say that everyone's driving style and the track they run on are different. Second, I'll say that my TC5 has rediculous on-power and off-power steering...I pretty much drive my car like a pan car...nearly full-throttle around the entire track (outdoor asphalt track).

Asphalt

1) Give your front slightly less ride height than the rear. That will give your car a slightly more negative caster effect, which gives your car more on-power steering. Go with 4.5 or 5mm.

2) Stay with the 6deg caster blocks. If you want more on-power steering, you need more caster. I run the 6deg and they're awesome. Again depends on driving style and setup.

I did a little reading last night and found this weird. Tc5 manual says less caster will give you more mid exit cornering and every other thing I read says the opposite.

3) Try giving your car a slightly longer wheel base. Perhaps, 2mm in both the front and the rear. Or, even 1mm in the front and 2mm in the rear. The longer the wheel base, the more the car will feel like a freight train. This is good if your track is high traction or has long straights and sweepers where you need more on-power steering.

4) The reason why I ask if you're on carpet is because you're running the 3A mounts all around. If you're on asphalt, you may want to switch to the 2A, which generally has less traction than carpet. It'll get your car to react a little better. 3A gives you a higher roll center and is perhaps, better for carpet.

5) How's your off-power steering? You could try giving your car 4mm droop in the rear. This will let the car transition to the front a little more when entering corners and give more traction to the front.

My off power steering is very good.

6) Try running sway bars, at least the blacks all around. This will make your car slightly more stable.

I never really liked sway bars on this car. It always seemed to make it slide around.

7) You're way too soft with your suspension. If you want your car to have plenty of steering, then you need to go stiffer. Try at least 40wt all around and go back to the blue spring in the front and silver in the rear. You may even want to try the gold spring in the front. Stiffer in the front causes your car to react faster and be able to handle more speed.

I was at 2b silver rear and blue front. Going to 1b seemed to help. So the next step was to try softer springs. Again, it helped, but not enough.

8) Lastly, have you tried the Assoc 1-way for this car? I use it and it made a world of difference. Give it a try. Be warned, you can't use your brakes with a 1-way...but, you shouldn't be using any brakes/drag brakes any way if you want to go fast

I love one ways. But I need to get used to driving with out one. I don't think I would have any problems if I had a one way right now.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth...2 cents.

Thank you. That is a lot of good info. Any suggestions one which of your suggestions I should try first? If it doesn't matter, I'll just go with the easiest to adjust first and go down the line.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #12186
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you. That is a lot of good info. Any suggestions one which of your suggestions I should try first? If it doesn't matter, I'll just go with the easiest to adjust first and go down the line.
I had to edit my original post after reading the TC5 manual again. Actually, the manual says "...increase caster to reduce mid to exit steering and make the front end less responsive." Yes, increasing your caster will reduce your mid corner steering however, it will increasing your on-power steering/corner entry steering--you want this. The more speed you can carry into the corner means the more speed you'll have exiting the corner. Your goal is to drive the car as fast as it will go around the entire track, meaning the more corner speed you have, the better. Top speed/straight line speed is important, but corner speed wins races. Like I mentioned earlier, I drive both my TC5R and 12R5 nearly full throttle all the around the track for the entire race and when I do lift my trottle, it's probably only about 10%.

Seriously, if you're racing asphalt, you need to change your roll center. Your current roll center of 3B is way too high. Use the 2A arm mounts on the front and rear. Even the 2B and 1B you mentioned is probably too high as well.

I'd recommend doing these changes first and then go from there:
1) Change your roll center, use the 2A front and rear
2) Use the blue springs in the front and silver in the rear
3) Lower the ride height in the front at least 1mm lower than what you have in the rear.
4) Leave the 4deg caster blocks for now since you already have them on. The 6deg caster blocks may take a little more tweaking with your setup before you can use them.
5) Use the black sway bars front and rear.
6) You can keep the 30wt in your shocks for now, but I'd recommend using at least 40wt.

Lastly, ensure you're using new tires. If you're using old tires, then no setup in the world will fix the car's problems. Tires are the most important component of a race car.

Also, when you're setting up your car, are your practicing/racing on a prep'd track that has been blown off and sprayed? If you're practicing on a track that hasn't been prep'd then probably don't even bother as it will be way too dusty/dirty to gain any real data from it.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #12187
Tech Master

Quote:

I would go to 4 deg castor and maybe a black front bar. Also ackerman plays a huge part in steering with a spool.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #12188
Tech Elite

Thanks. I'm practicing on a club race. So the track is well prepped and good traction.

Ackerman was another thing I wanted to play with. I thought I would do that last. When I get to play with ackerman, adjust the outside before I adjust the inside?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #12189
Tech Adept

Great responses to the handling issues, I would say that silver and green springs are too soft. I tried this because I wanted to take some bite out of the car, make it more drivable. I tried it in a few different situations and it never seems to work, always make the car really lazy, labours and bogs down through the corner and doesn't seem any grippier. Blue and silver works a charm.

I keep those springs on and just change the sway bar to suit the grip, but currently I am liking the car with no sway bars, suits my smooth, non-agressive style better.

Regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #12190
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

TC5 is good already, time for an upgrade!
Trex600JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #12191
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfong13 View Post

Seriously, if you're racing asphalt, you need to change your roll center. Your current roll center of 3B is way too high. Use the 2A arm mounts on the front and rear. Even the 2B and 1B you mentioned is probably too high as well.
I was just re-reading your post to note things down. Just to make things clear, my mounts are set at 3a, not 3b. You still suggest 2a?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #12192
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
I was just re-reading your post to note things down. Just to make things clear, my mounts are set at 3a, not 3b. You still suggest 2a?
I know I asked Rick Hohwart for a rough setup for high traction indoor asphalt track and the setup used 2a for my roll center mount setup.

My car had tons of rear traction and had a pretty good push overall but was very drivable. I won't change the setup til I get to run it again with some new fresh tires as I think it will work better. I ran some practice but I think my tires are now worn and the car is not steering as good as I need it to.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #12193
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

sorry to kinda of bust in here like this but I am itching to buy a tc car..Tell me why I should buy a tc5 over a cyclone/these are the two I have my sights set on.

thanks
tc3jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #12194
Tech Elite

Parts support is why I buy Associated in general. It is the one brand that I have found to be the most supported by most hobby stores. And no matter what kind of race is going on, someone else is running an associated.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #12195
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3jp View Post
sorry to kinda of bust in here like this but I am itching to buy a tc car..Tell me why I should buy a tc5 over a cyclone/these are the two I have my sights set on.

thanks
Lots of great touring cars out so its hard to pick the right car for you but like pakk mentioned Associated parts in general are pretty easy to get and almost every good hobbyshop carries Associated products.

I had a Cyclone when they first came out and its a nice car as well but getting parts wasn't as easy for me to get as Associated. Both very capable cars so either way you will have a nice touring car.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote