R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #11821
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

What is the purpose of running the belts on the opposite side as the manual says from rear to spur then spur to front?

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #11822
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxiomJacob View Post
What is the purpose of running the belts on the opposite side as the manual says from rear to spur then spur to front?
For one it's much easier to change the pinion.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #11823
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Now your spool wears on the other side

It's about balance. Lipo's are less wide then Nimh's because of the battery bars they don't have. And Lipo's are lighter. Now it's possible to flip you belt's. This creat's more room for the elec's to be placed further inward... With High grip you want to have everything as much inward as possible. Lowgrip, you want all more "outward". Normally the grip is high ;-), sow everything more inward.... Also the car is better balanced when the elec's are placed more inwards.

I've converted my TC5X to a Losi front end, with LCD axles. But I didn’t order the Losi Clamp Types. The Assocaited ones don't fit. What brand clamp types are you guy's using? (or, which one's are 5mm inner diameter)

Best Regards

Robert
Old 01-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #11824
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How do you guys take away steering slop.
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #11825
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post

It's about balance. Lipo's are less wide then Nimh's because of the battery bars they don't have. And Lipo's are lighter. Now it's possible to flip you belt's. This creat's more room for the elec's to be placed further inward... With High grip you want to have everything as much inward as possible. Lowgrip, you want all more "outward". Normally the grip is high ;-), sow everything more inward.... Also the car is better balanced when the elec's are placed more inwards.

I've converted my TC5X to a Losi front end, with LCD axles. But I didnít order the Losi Clamp Types. The Assocaited ones don't fit. What brand clamp types are you guy's using? (or, which one's are 5mm inner diameter)

Best Regards

Robert
TC4 aluminium clamping wheel hex's, it is what I used when I put Losi LCD on my car.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #11826
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

Does anyone run the tc5 lipo craddle that AE offers? How does it fit with Thunder Power 5000s?

Thanks.

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #11827
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post

I've converted my TC5X to a Losi front end, with LCD axles. But I didnít order the Losi Clamp Types. The Assocaited ones don't fit. What brand clamp types are you guy's using? (or, which one's are 5mm inner diameter)

Best Regards

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
TC4 aluminium clamping wheel hex's, it is what I used when I put Losi LCD on my car.
This should work or you can use the Losi plastic nopn-clamping style hexes (what I use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
How do you guys take away steering slop.
You can take away the slop in the ball studs by placing a small piece of plastic bag inside the cup before uou pop it on to the ball. You will have to play with plastic thickness but it has to be thin. You can tighten up all ball cups this way.

Quote:
Does anyone run the tc5 lipo craddle that AE offers? How does it fit with Thunder Power 5000s?

Thanks.
The cradle will fit with a ROAR or EFRA legal battery. It should fit perfectly.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #11828
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It fits the older 20c reedy 3200s well...
5p3ktrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #11829
gre
Tech Rookie

how are the experience with the exotek TC5X lipo chassis on tarmac?
gre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #11830
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

Thanks.
It fits perfect, but you still need to add weight on the outside to balance the car.
Jorge G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #11831
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge G View Post
It fits perfect, but you still need to add weight on the outside to balance the car.
+1. I also mounted the lipo battery retainer about 1/4" to 1/2" further to the right (edge of my lipo lines up with the right edge of the chassis), instead of in the standard location. You have to drill and counter-sink a couple of holes, and elongate the tape slots on the chassis. Just be sure to round off any sharp edges and finish the carbon fiber work with the CA/Qtip method.

That allows you to balance the car left/right without very much added weight. I have about 50 grams on top of the battery retainer (right side of the battery) and I'm balanced at 1388g ready to run (standard bulkheads and all).
Moving the battery to the right also gives you more room to put a strip of weight along the center of the chassis, in order to make minimum weight.

I've seen a couple of guys move the battery even further right, but you might have to cut the battery tape slot a little too far over on the chassis, which is why I ended up where I did.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #11832
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc pete View Post
+1. I also mounted the lipo battery retainer about 1/4" to 1/2" further to the right (edge of my lipo lines up with the right edge of the chassis), instead of in the standard location. You have to drill and counter-sink a couple of holes, and elongate the tape slots on the chassis. Just be sure to round off any sharp edges and finish the carbon fiber work with the CA/Qtip method.

That allows you to balance the car left/right without very much added weight. I have about 50 grams on top of the battery retainer (right side of the battery) and I'm balanced at 1388g ready to run (standard bulkheads and all).
Moving the battery to the right also gives you more room to put a strip of weight along the center of the chassis, in order to make minimum weight.

I've seen a couple of guys move the battery even further right, but you might have to cut the battery tape slot a little too far over on the chassis, which is why I ended up where I did.
How do you drill the holes?? Can you post pictures?? Thanks!
Jorge G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #11833
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Droop / Downstop

i noticed on the AE setup sheets most racers run a really high droop value like 6 front 5 rear ) are these meant to be dropdown value ? misprint ?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #11834
Tech Regular

6mm front and 5mm rear is probalby basic. i have it on all of my cars.

www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #11835
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

6mm front and 5mm of what ? droop or downstop ? i can understand if you mean downstop value but for droop isnt a little too much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy63 View Post
6mm front and 5mm rear is probalby basic. i have it on all of my cars.

www.andrefossto.wordpress.com