R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #11641
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am new to carpet racing and have been running my TC5 at my local carpet track for a few months now. I have my car set up to match Kevin Hebert's car at the 2009 international race in vegas. Last time I was at the track I was noticing that my back tires were sliding out a bit on certain turns. I know that there is some throttle control issues with this and I know that improving my driving will help but I was wondering if there was any thing set up wise I could do to help correct this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
hgbtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #11642
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgbtrout View Post
I am new to carpet racing and have been running my TC5 at my local carpet track for a few months now. I have my car set up to match Kevin Hebert's car at the 2009 international race in vegas. Last time I was at the track I was noticing that my back tires were sliding out a bit on certain turns. I know that there is some throttle control issues with this and I know that improving my driving will help but I was wondering if there was any thing set up wise I could do to help correct this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
A few things, you can increase your rear camber, lay your shocks in another notch or raise your camber links by adding a shim under the ballstud on the rear hub. Don't necessarily need to do all this at once, I would try a slight camber adjustment 1st and go from there.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #11643
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerX View Post
I managed to destroy one of those UK bulk heads today. 2nd race with it and crashed hard. Bent it in the the motor mount area like a pretzel. Havent been able to get the motor mount washer out yet. Also destroyed my top deck and front bumper. I'd managed to get a lot more rear traction which I'd been fighting for before but was understeering badly before the crash. I'd also been able to get rid of my PPD billet battery weight tray so the car was quite a bit lighter.

I'll be going back to my standard bulk heads and PPD billet battery weight tray now
This is what concerned me about those expensive inline bulkheads, that the motor mount section doesn't have much support, as the motor mount section does not screw to the chassis.

Did you notice any performance gain buy using the inline bulkheads?, surely if one can balance the car well left to right with the standard bulkheads, whats the benefit to the inline?. if there is such a benefit, then why did associated never design it like that to begin with ?
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #11644
Tech Regular

I have modifed the factory mount to make it inline and have found it to be pretty good

i had to drill a couple of holes in the chassis, and drilled DOWN via the top mount and put in a longer screw, did a bit of dremelling, flip the diffs to clear the pinion and move the lipo tray out a bit.

the car was almost balanced and almost at the legal New Zealand weight (1500grams inc body and transponder).

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC5-inline.jpg  
Edwin Pibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #11645
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap View Post
This is what concerned me about those expensive inline bulkheads, that the motor mount section doesn't have much support, as the motor mount section does not screw to the chassis.

Did you notice any performance gain buy using the inline bulkheads?, surely if one can balance the car well left to right with the standard bulkheads, whats the benefit to the inline?. if there is such a benefit, then why did associated never design it like that to begin with ?
I asked for pictures and he hasn't sent me any, so I doubt he's bent them at all.... just someone out to give bad press to the best product ever created for the tc5!

As for motor mount washer....... what washer LOL...

Associated never designed it like this because they're completly stupid...
SusanBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #11646
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone want to take a guess at who SUSANBOYLE is?
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #11647
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBoyle View Post
I asked for pictures and he hasn't sent me any, so I doubt he's bent them at all.... just someone out to give bad press to the best product ever created for the tc5!

Nice nick

goodbye again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Anyone want to take a guess at who SUSANBOYLE is?

he is gone once more
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #11648
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BIG DADDY8
Questions??

Is there a better handling and performance when using the exotek "lipo" chassis conversion on asphalt? Trying to find some better corner (entering/exiting) handling and speed?
BIG DADDY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #11649
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8 View Post
Is there a better handling and performance when using the exotek "lipo" chassis conversion on asphalt? Trying to find some better corner (entering/exiting) handling and speed?
My car w/ the Exotek Conversion was AWESOME on asphalt. It really helps make the sweet spot for setup bigger. The Exotek chassis has more flex for more rear traction, and that really helps the car out. I cant wait for carpet season to be over so I can get back on asphalt (unless of course I can figure out this whole rubber/carpet thing)

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #11650
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Pibal View Post
I have modifed the factory mount to make it inline and have found it to be pretty good

i had to drill a couple of holes in the chassis, and drilled DOWN via the top mount and put in a longer screw, did a bit of dremelling, flip the diffs to clear the pinion and move the lipo tray out a bit.

the car was almost balanced and almost at the legal New Zealand weight (1500grams inc body and transponder).

Ed

Hi

How did you manage to mark and line up the new holes for drilling ?, and be able to get them 100% without the motor mount being too far in or out, or not 100% true?
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #11651
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap View Post
Hi

How did you manage to mark and line up the new holes for drilling ?, and be able to get them 100% without the motor mount being too far in or out, or not 100% true?

hiya

first i took everything off the chassis except for the bulkhead and the motor mount, the scribed the shape of the bulkhead onto the motor mount from the spur gear side, then i filed it to shape, then i measured the centre of the bulkhead holes to the centre of the orignal motor mount holes, drilled and taped them.

once the two parts were mounted it was a matter of useing the right sized drill to drill down the bulkhead through to the motor mount, i then tapped/cleaned up the thred,

thats the hard part, then it was a matter of flipping the diffs, and moving the lipo tray out about 6mm to allow for the front belt now being closer to the battery.

ed
Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #11652
Tech Fanatic

Hi Edwin,

your modified engine mount is only on two bottom screws attached to chassis?

m.

ps: sorry for my English ... small practice with peoples
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #11653
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBoyle View Post

Pix were sent to Leg Iron at his request. He has my e-mail address so wouldnt need to send me a PM.

As for benefits, the new mounts allowed me to reduce the weight of the car quite a bit. I was able to remove my PPD billet weight tray. This will allow me to run a lower ride height and accelerate quicker. There's less body roll as well. The chassis flex should be more even side to side as well since there's no leg sticking out in front to reduce flex on one side.

The product is fantastic and I highly recommend it. I've never bent a standard motor mount but at the same time I've never crashed as hard as I did when running these bulkheads. It was an unfortunate incident not the fault of the bulkheads but that's racing. If I'd crashed like that with the stock bulkheads I'm sure they would have bent too. The crash shattered my top plate just behind the servo mount as well at it's narrowest point as well.

Last edited by spongerX; 01-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #11654
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgbtrout View Post
I had what sounded like a similar problem and found that gluing a shim to the inside of the steering blocks stopped the front cvds from binding at full lock.

There's a post a few pages back (from Rick?) that talks about doing this for spec racing.

Because the front was binding (effectively braking while at full lock), it caused the back end to spin out.

Is it happening on tight corners or only cornering one way?
slalom315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #11655
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz View Post
Hi Edwin,

your modified engine mount is only on two bottom screws attached to chassis?

m.

ps: sorry for my English ... small practice with peoples
hi M.

there is a third long screw that comes in through the top deck, if you closer at the picture where the motor mount goes under the bulkhead, i have drilled through and tapped a thread for the long screw to go into the motor mount.

Ed