R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #11506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default The level of acceptence amazes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I was running my TC5 bow stock, except the screws for the diff.

I have the Exotek chassis and like it. I don't think it's any better than the stock, just different. I haven't moved my servo, flipped my belts, bought different shocks, different hub carriers (I didn't even know about these), etc. The car works very well out of the box. We have a good mix of X Ray, AE, and Hot Bodies at our track and there is no clear "best chassis" out there. Is the TC5 the most dated chassis out there right now? Sure it is. But just because it's dated doesn't mean it's out dated. Can you make it better? Yes. But you can honestly tell me there is something wrong with the stock shocks? I bet if I changed out the shocks on your car and gave you the same piston/oil/spring combo you wouldn't notice a difference in lap times or handling between the stock and the TRF's. Same as the new bulkheads. Balance the car stock and with the new bulkheads. Is it a difference, it just may be. But will it make you Hara, Moore, Levenan, Hebert? I really doubt it. If you don't like the car, don't run it. I like the car so I do run it and I am very happy with it.
I quit buying AE long ago. When a simple thing like flipping bulk head screws to change roll center was above them, that's when I got to pass on their products.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #11507
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like my TC5's I see no point in changing especially while I be competitive against Xray T3's. I don't see how running flipped belts is a performance improvement, the only advantage I see is more room for the pinion. Doing aftermarket mods is the choice of the driver.
Even with doing the aftermarket mods, it still costs alot less then to buy a new Xray every year or Tamiya every month.
The winners of Stock Tourer at my local club were all dated cars, 1st was a TC5 (me), 2nd a pre T2 009 Xray, and 3rd a Losi XXXS. In mod a TC5 placed either 2nd or 3rd. So it goes to show that it isn't the car, it's driver.

I like the TC5 and I have no desire to change and theres no need to.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #11508
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does a different chassis make you a pro driver? Of course not. But you dont have to be a pro to feel the changes in the car or a different chassis. I never changed a thing on my car outside of the diff nut. It ran ok. However I could tell the difference between my chassis with the motor and battery hanging off the sides of the car to balance it out because of the motor mount and a chassis that already had the motor mount inline with the bulkhead. I can also tell the difference between one brand of shocks and another.

I do not have the latest and greatest of the chassis I have decided to run. I dont need it because what I have is still and awesome chassis. The TC5 is not up to par on the engineering side which is all I am saying.

Still an ok car which is what you are saying. Not trying to change anyones mind on that. Only agreeing with someone that stated that you shouldnt have to basically replace every part on the car to get it up to date and stating myself that if you feel you have to go to that length it is time to look at changing manufacturers. What AE sent out is not the quality we are used to as far as the TC market is concerned. Their offroad stuff is awesome in my opinion.

You are also right I dont have to run the car which I am not. I just hate that I wasted the money buying it.

Last comment I will make on it because my comment are not meant to bash but hopefully get AE to really look at what they are trying to accomplish with this chassis.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #11509
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:

I have the Exotek chassis and like it. I don't think it's any better than the stock, just different. I haven't moved my servo, flipped my belts, bought different shocks, different hub carriers (I didn't even know about these), etc. The car works very well out of the box. We have a good mix of X Ray, AE, and Hot Bodies at our track and there is no clear "best chassis" out there. Is the TC5 the most dated chassis out there right now? Sure it is. But just because it's dated doesn't mean it's out dated. Can you make it better? Yes. But you can honestly tell me there is something wrong with the stock shocks? I bet if I changed out the shocks on your car and gave you the same piston/oil/spring combo you wouldn't notice a difference in lap times or handling between the stock and the TRF's. Same as the new bulkheads. Balance the car stock and with the new bulkheads. Is it a difference, it just may be. But will it make you Hara, Moore, Levenan, Hebert? I really doubt it. If you don't like the car, don't run it. I like the car so I do run it and I am very happy with it.
+1 Amen Brother -- I have had great luck with my TC5 and have no complaints.
RMKinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #11510
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gain Time View Post
Last comment I will make on it because my comment are not meant to bash but hopefully get AE to really look at what they are trying to accomplish with this chassis.
I think they have done pretty well with what they are trying to accomplish. A few Major races including multi time IIC race wins for starters. You're right, the chassis was never any good and it never should have been released because it won't do anything noteworthy.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #11511
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gain Time View Post
Used to be?

Pretty much that is the way it is now. When I bought the TC5R the chassis was junk because the screw holes were countersunk too far. From what I have read now you have to replace the diff nut and screw, Move the servo, flip the belt, get new bulkheads, replace the chassis, use different shocks, use different hub carriers with larger bearings.....what did I miss?

Quite frankly the money you saved on running this car you could go out and buy any one of at least 4 different kits and get a car that was designed properly the first time. I am stuck with mine it seems.......trying to trade if for food stamps at this point.....even those are worth more. But hey I can now paint a really pretty body and have a 1/10 scale static model. At least it performs well enough at that.
O boo hoo, dry your eyes mate, it is not AE's fault your heavy handed... I have driven a few models and the TC5 can run with the best of them.

Forums are just full of hype, what you have read is just that hype...

The TC5 bone stock is as quick as anything out there, if you destroy the diff nut then you are heavy handed simple as that. I have built a number of diffs and never destroyed the diff nut.

My 2c...
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #11512
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
The TC5 bone stock is as quick as anything out there, if you destroy the diff nut then you are heavy handed simple as that. I have built a number of diffs and never destroyed the diff nut.

My 2c...
Right!

After almost 2y racing with tc5 (start from FT kit version and convert it to
ITF) and still drive on rubbers in spec/stock class I can say only one:
- experience with setup (my last very nice: http://www.rc-setups.com/setups/250/edit/ ),
- experience with owner mind

I try drive on trf416 and new xray t3 ... back to tc5 and again found FUN
of drive with chassis that I love :-)

Regards!
m.

ps: I newer try hard arms and c-hubs, because I got a lot of parts from FT ;-) kit, with my drive style maybe softer are better ;-) (crash and they
don't break)
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #11513
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:

I choose to run the Exotek kit just because I like the way the battery mounts in the car and with the lipo weights the car balances up very easily.
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #11514
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to twelvegauge Send a message via MSN to twelvegauge
Default TC5 VTA Setup

I ran my TC5 on a low bite carpet track yesterday for the first time with the vintage tires and wheels in VTA and it handled like crap. I had it handeling great on asphalt but I am a little lost for carpet racing and did not get alot of advice at the track. Does anyone have any advice or setups here??
Replacement fans for esc's & heat sinks
biscayne348@gmail.com or 630-935-0132
twelvegauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #11515
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

Try one of the 09 IIC setups...you probably cant go wrong with Kevin Hebert's setup...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #11516
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to insaneracin2003

Question and concern about the tc5r I just bought.
I went to put together the shocks and the caps don't screw on all the way. So I went and bought new caps with the rebuild kit and those don't screw on all the way. I was thinking that is was a shock body issue, but my brother took the caps off his tc5r and they worked great.
I am not running the blue diaphrams in the shocks so that is not the issue.
Has anyone else had this problem? I called AE and they were going to send me new caps and I was going to send the ones that came with the car and the set I bought extra.
Does anyone know how long it takes for AE to send replacemant parts? I am really trying to get my car ready for this weekend.
Thanks,
Paul
Mugen Seiki USA / Mikes Hobby Shop / Byrons Fuels / Gulf Coast Raceway / Insaneracin Designs / Paint by "Smiley"
insaneracin2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #11517
Tech Elite

They send stuff fast, are you using the rubber diaphrams? Make sure the cap is inserting all the way into the threaded collar...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #11518
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
They send stuff fast, are you using the rubber diaphrams? Make sure the cap is inserting all the way into the threaded collar...
No, I am not using the blue diaphrams. With the cap on and tightened as far as I can get it, it sits about 1 1/2 mm from shock body and the collar is still loose. The caps appear to not be threaded all the way or the thread are messed up toward the top of the cap....
Mugen Seiki USA / Mikes Hobby Shop / Byrons Fuels / Gulf Coast Raceway / Insaneracin Designs / Paint by "Smiley"
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #11519
Tech Elite

i meant the clear diaphram, it should be pointed inward, try threading just the blue collar without the cap onto an empty shock body...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #11520
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
i meant the clear diaphram, it should be pointed inward, try threading just the blue collar without the cap onto an empty shock body...
yeah, I am using the clear diaphram pointed into the shock body. I tried just the cap with the same outcome. definately something wrong with the caps.