R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #11386
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriiiss View Post
does associated make an aluminum bellcrank for the tc5?
They do not. Integy does make one, but their quality control is about as good as McDonald's that's been sitting around for 3 weeks.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #11387
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's not a need. But is is the wave of the future. People always want bigger and better and faster. Tell me who else can come close to that. And let's be honest, how many power supplies will actually be able to handle the amount of watt's that a 7.4v 25amp charge rate.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #11388
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
They do not. Integy does make one, but their quality control is about as good as McDonald's that's been sitting around for 3 weeks.
quoted for emphasis.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #11389
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kriiiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
lol ok thanks for the info
kriiiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #11390
Tech Adept

I see there are a few mods going on the car, and wondered about doing them

firstly people are laying the servo 90 degree for a more linear feel, i see Rick Hohwart mentions on page 722 & 723 about using an RC8 throttle servo horn to give a similar feel without needing to flip the servo.

secondly i see that there are some keyed bulkheads that team guys are using to move the motor in about 5mm, is this necessary?, if one is able to achieve balance left to right using the standard motor mount, then will this mod achieve faster lap times?. I saw christer anderson ran the exotek chassis but used the std motor position. What i'm asking is are people noticing faster laps by making the motor more inline, or is it more easier to just balance and why did AE not do this on the original car and only 2.5 years later decide to do it. As far as i can see they are one of the few cars that does not have the motor inline, what was the thinking behind it?

I dont particularly want to dremel my chassis, nor grind away the bulkhead to try and get inline motormount without messing up, or not getting the motor to be exactly square to the chassis.

Thanks Ya`All
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #11391
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For the inline motormount, I can think of a couple reasons. Firstly the weight balance is more towards the center of the car, and secondly the motor has a decreased chance of motor damage or bulkhead damage. I've seen a TC5 in mod take out its motor as it hit a Xray motor side, the faceplate has attached like normal yet the can and rotor had been bent. It was running 2s LiPo with a LRP 4.5
I've been hit hard motor side while racing 10.5 which moved the Rx and ESC towards the center of the car by half an inch, I'm surprised my $109 motor survived.
It has a hit that would've nearly and easily done $600 worth of damage. All I received was a paint rubbed motor and ESC, some tape that needed replacing, a crease in the body, and a bent motor mount and bulkhead. I was it full speed by another 10.5 just after I spun it so it was a good 60km/h+ slam into the electronics side of my car.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #11392
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For those of you who have drilled bleeder holes in their shocks: Do you drill the hole through the blue retainer or through the molded cap?
Thanks,
Kane
Kane-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #11393
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane-o View Post
For those of you who have drilled bleeder holes in their shocks: Do you drill the hole through the blue retainer or through the molded cap?
Thanks,
Kane
Kane, you'll have to do it through the plastic.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #11394
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane-o View Post
Thanks,
Kane
Here's a couple of pics of the mod to help you out
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC5-cap-001.jpg   Team Associated TC5-cap-002.jpg  
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #11395
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Why not just use the new 6443 caps ?
rcspeed.usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #11396
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcspeed.usa View Post
Why not just use the new 6443 caps ?

I don't believe they are available just yet but they also aren't made to be used with a bladder style shock. this is basically Associateds answer to the Yokomo bleeder caps everybody used to use.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #11397
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
sorry too ask this , but after drilling the holes upon reassembly do you use the blue foam pieces? Thanks in advance.
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #11398
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
sorry too ask this , but after drilling the holes upon reassembly do you use the blue foam pieces? Thanks in advance.
The rebound foams are not needed.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #11399
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post
For the inline motormount, I can think of a couple reasons. Firstly the weight balance is more towards the center of the car, and secondly the motor has a decreased chance of motor damage or bulkhead damage. I've seen a TC5 in mod take out its motor as it hit a Xray motor side, the faceplate has attached like normal yet the can and rotor had been bent. It was running 2s LiPo with a LRP 4.5
I've been hit hard motor side while racing 10.5 which moved the Rx and ESC towards the center of the car by half an inch, I'm surprised my $109 motor survived.
It has a hit that would've nearly and easily done $600 worth of damage. All I received was a paint rubbed motor and ESC, some tape that needed replacing, a crease in the body, and a bent motor mount and bulkhead. I was it full speed by another 10.5 just after I spun it so it was a good 60km/h+ slam into the electronics side of my car.

I understand that placing the motor 5mm is better for weight balance, but i wonder why the TC5 was never designed like that originally?, could it be because lipo is lighter, that the need to get it closer is bigger?, but what about the guys that ran 5 cell mod?, surely that pack was also lighter. As well as the servo mod, if using a low profile in the standard position the weight is closer to center than it would be flipping it 90 degrees?

On another note, i tried the servo mod, and by drilling the holes in the chassis, the aluminum servo mount overhangs about 0.5-1mm off the chassis, and when i drilled the 5th hole on the bellcrank it is about 0.1-0.2mm off center, i dunno how you guys get it exactly in the center. Also the turnbuckle that connects from servo to bellcrank is at a big angle this way as well, So i am more inclined to do ricks suggestion and use an RC8 servo horn, which should give the desired effect the same as flipping the servo 90 degrees.

Also you say you bent a motor mount and bulkhead, im sure this can also happen even with the aftermarket parts, or by grinding your existing parts. A hit that hard would bend them even if they were 5mm closer to the center?

Thanks Ya`All
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #11400
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap View Post
I understand that placing the motor 5mm is better for weight balance, but i wonder why the TC5 was never designed like that originally?, could it be because lipo is lighter, that the need to get it closer is bigger?, but what about the guys that ran 5 cell mod?, surely that pack was also lighter. As well as the servo mod, if using a low profile in the standard position the weight is closer to center than it would be flipping it 90 degrees?

On another note, i tried the servo mod, and by drilling the holes in the chassis, the aluminum servo mount overhangs about 0.5-1mm off the chassis, and when i drilled the 5th hole on the bellcrank it is about 0.1-0.2mm off center, i dunno how you guys get it exactly in the center. Also the turnbuckle that connects from servo to bellcrank is at a big angle this way as well, So i am more inclined to do ricks suggestion and use an RC8 servo horn, which should give the desired effect the same as flipping the servo 90 degrees.

Also you say you bent a motor mount and bulkhead, im sure this can also happen even with the aftermarket parts, or by grinding your existing parts. A hit that hard would bend them even if they were 5mm closer to the center?

Thanks Ya`All
I have not tried the servo mod but if I did I think I would just servo tape it down to test first. Did you turn it so that the bit that turns on the servo (dont know the proper name for this) was towards the outside of the car? If so was the turnbuckle still at a big angle, because this might cause problems with steering throw.

As for the new bulkheads, the second benefit I can see is that the motor mount is attached directly to the bulkhead, and NOT screwed to the main chassis. With the standard mounts (also with the mod to the AE mounts) you have to screw the motor mount to the chassis, which ultimately acts like one bulkhead is longer than the other. This is not good for flex, and might make the car handle different left to right.

I had previously ran the stock bulkheads but without the screw connecting the motor plate to the bulkhead to alleviate this problem, but got worried about the pinion coming away from the spur during high flex situations, so I bought the new bulkheads.

Another bonus I just remembered is that the layshaft sits 5mm lower on the aftermarket bulkheads. It is a pain if you want to remove your layshaft or change spur, but it lowers the CG slightly. I am not sure how great that is, but I think there is a feeling in this hobby that high layshafts are bad, I just can't figure out why it is so heinous, except for a slight increase in CG.

Regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote