R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2009, 01:27 AM   #11206
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well when it comes to the competition of TC5 w/ 10.5 @ full speed vs Grass followed by bitumen over a few metres the TC5 will loose. As I found out the hard way.

I'm so thankful that unlike the Xray and Corally drivers I can get parts locally, I testing my car today to see if it would run fine tomorrow in Super Stock. At least now I'll know what oil my rear shockers will have.

Last edited by Scooter79rs; 10-17-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Scooter79rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #11207
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfong13 View Post
For most applications, 48p is fine, however, 64p allows for more exact gear ratios. 64p gears are really necessary for pan cars when back in the day people were using nimhs, brushed motors, and had to really achieve exact gear ratios to make a 4-5 minute race, taking into account battery power, motor, and tire diameter of their foam tires. Foam tires change diameter practically after every run, so back in the day, exact gear ratios really mattered because nimh batteries didn't last as long or provide as much power as lipos.

The only advantage to 64p over 48p is being able to achieve a more exact gear ratio.

Not to mention with a wider range of spur and pinion, you had a better resolution for gear ratios... Also, there was a lot less play since a proper gear mesh would be tighter than say 48p gears...

The original RC10 and RC10CE came with 32 pitch gears! Those were huge!

I have a question about the TC5: Why is Tower listing the FT TC5 as "Discontinued?" Do they know something that we don't? Is AE gearing up for TC6?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #11208
Tech Master

The FT TC5 was released before the R and F, so if they still around it'll be fine.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 AM   #11209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Not to mention with a wider range of spur and pinion, you had a better resolution for gear ratios... Also, there was a lot less play since a proper gear mesh would be tighter than say 48p gears...

The original RC10 and RC10CE came with 32 pitch gears! Those were huge!

I have a question about the TC5: Why is Tower listing the FT TC5 as "Discontinued?" Do they know something that we don't? Is AE gearing up for TC6?
thye discontinued the ft car because depending on wat type of acing ur doin u can get the f or the r i love the ft car i have two of them
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #11210
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Diff screws

When I read that Keven H. had use the HPI or HOT B diff screws I bought them both.

It made putting the slipper spool together an absolute pleasure. I put it all together and started tightening the screw, flat head driver needed, and it tightened right down. During the race day both my TC5s spools were great and did not loosen.

HPI part # 73522
Hot Bodies # 61089

I used the diff screw and nut supplied with absolute success.
CRC WTF-1

Last edited by Jsaves; 10-17-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: bad english
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #11211
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaves View Post
When I read that Keven H. had use the HPI or HOT B diff screws I bought them both.

It made putting the slipper spool together an absolute pleasure. I put it all together and started tightening the screw, flat head driver needed, and it tightened right down. During the race day both my TC5s spools were great and did not loosen.

HPI part # 73522
Hot Bodies # 61089

I used the diff screw and nut supplied with absolute success.
The irony here is that the Cyclone guys like to use Associated diff screws because they break less! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #11212
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
Anyone notice Levanen's TC5 at the ETS? He's got a new motor mount which allows motor to be put closer to center, and the servo is mounted Tamiya TRF 416 style. Are these his own tweaks or this is something AE is testing and plans to release?
Like Posted on the other threath:

I've spoken to Juho this weekend at the ETS (my car was going really sloppy ) And I've been looking at his car. He is driving some proto/changed stuff:

- He had some "prototype" front bulkheads (dremeld a peace out). For more flex.
- He drove the Losi front C-hubs and Blocks, because of the Dual Joint axles from losi, but it looks to me that Associated will make them too?!?!
- Switched the servo like we already know. for a more lineare feeling.
- There is a new bulkhead / motormount coming out. It's inline, but still two peaces.
- Last but not least he flipt the belt's so the elec's can go more to the center.
- With this he drove the new Lipo Brace, which is nice :-)

He told me that he didn't know if there was going to be a TC6 (TC5.1) or that the motormount will be a Upgrade part. I'm hoping on a TC6 or so

There was an other Associated driver which had al four bulkheads "shortend" for a lower CG, but he switched to a new kit after saturday.

Some Pictures of Juho's car are at RED RC :-) His car drove awesome, too bad that he came up in travic.

Best Regards

Robert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #11213
Tech Master

Well apparently for the Australian nationals most of the tourers are either Xrays or TC5s, I've heard this from one the local Xray drivers that has entered the event because he's seen one the TC5's and it was saying that is was different then from all of the local TC5's. At least one the TC5's at the Aus nats is running the Exotek chassis with the bulkheads that Nick mentions alot and the TRF style servo.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #11214
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

One of my shocks keeps leaking oil out of the bottom. Any rebuild tips other than green slime which I used when I built them.
RMKinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #11215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb View Post
I can remember using 1200's in 12th scale for 8 minutes! Anyone remember the phase "don't pull it all the way"
Those were Sanyo SCR's. Remember the yellow 1100 SCE's or better yet how about those terrible Panasonic P170's Those were the days!!! haha
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #11216
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKinWI View Post
One of my shocks keeps leaking oil out of the bottom. Any rebuild tips other than green slime which I used when I built them.
In the bottom of the shock I use two of those orange O-rings instead of having one o-ring and the black plastic washer, never had a problem with leakage.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #11217
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKinWI View Post
If you modified the black retainer to make them fit in the shock body then you need to replace them. They are a pain to get seated in without modification but once they are in, they aint coming back out, and no leaks.

I made this mistake when I first built my shocks, fortunately a shock rebuild kit is cheap. =]

Regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #11218
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post
Well when it comes to the competition of TC5 w/ 10.5 @ full speed vs Grass followed by bitumen over a few metres the TC5 will loose. As I found out the hard way.

I'm so thankful that unlike the Xray and Corally drivers I can get parts locally, I testing my car today to see if it would run fine tomorrow in Super Stock. At least now I'll know what oil my rear shockers will have.
I had this exact crash damage this last Sunday. I kid stepped out in front of me on the straight away and bam! I think his foot still must hurt!
I too was able to drive to my LHs to get the alum. part that broke and get back into the race! I took first too!
OI82lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #11219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

is there a better shock bottom on the market? i run on a very bumpy parking lot and need to back out both the rear droop screws to reduce the bounce.
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #11220
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OI82lose View Post
I had this exact crash damage this last Sunday. I kid stepped out in front of me on the straight away and bam! I think his foot still must hurt!
I too was able to drive to my LHs to get the alum. part that broke and get back into the race! I took first too!
At least you had a good reason to crash, I took myself out there wasn't even another car near the track on it let alone on it.