R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #10831
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
If you're able to make it next Wednesday night, or maybe even sometime this weekend, I'll show you what I'm talking about.
I'm on vacation next week so I will be there on 9/28 to pick up the TC5 I ordered. I'll check it out then. I have a feeling I will end up just flipping the belts anyway. Looks like mounting and shimming the pulley on the opposite side for the one-way will work fine if I need to run a one-way.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #10832
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Which servo horn are you using?
I use an RC8 throttle servo horn. I use the second hole on the short side. and remove the long side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
I wonder how they are getting around the whole pinion hitting the belt issue like I have right now.
I cut the end of the motor shaft off. If you reverse the belts you don't have to modifiy the shaft. I am almost certain that you can use the Exotek center pulley mount that lowers the assembly. This might give you enough clearance so the motor shaft does not interfere with the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
What are you referring to? Are you saying associated created some new bulkheads?
The pieces are a stock bulkhead and motor mount that have been machined so that they "key" together. Holes have been re-drilled for the new motor mount location and the opening for the motor enlarged.

Quote:
Not sure who's car that is. They have something interesting going on with some extra ball studs on the shock towers as well.
It is my car. The extra ball studs have worked on rubber carpet in the past with good results. I also played with them at the '09 Reedy Race gbut ultimately ran the standard setup. My car is right at the minimum weight so I leave then in so it is easy to try them easily.

Also in the pic but hard to see is our new LiPo battery retainer. This mounts using the battery post holes and moves the battery in so that the inner battery socket is accessible. The retainer has a place for the ballast (brass in my case) to balance the car and bring it up to the minimum weight. In my case the brass adds about 80 grams which balances the car left to right and leaves me 3-5 grams under the minimum weight.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #10833
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will AE being releasing these parts seperatly or will there be an updated TC5 coming ?
Thanks.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #10834
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Rick- Would the IIC setups be a good place to start for a Vintage Trans Am car using a FT chassis?
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #10835
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Will AE being releasing these parts seperatly or will there be an updated TC5 coming ?
Thanks.
Info about the LiPo retainer will be released shortly. I am working on the other items. There will not be a new car anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Rick- Would the IIC setups be a good place to start for a Vintage Trans Am car using a FT chassis?
Yes I would start with Keven's.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #10836
Tech Addict

How did you support the motor mount at the back when you moved it inline. I know there is a tab at the front but did you just drill a hole up and tap the bulkhead and put a shim inbetween them? Also did you screw it to the topdeck?
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #10837
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
How did you support the motor mount at the back when you moved it inline. I know there is a tab at the front but did you just drill a hole up and tap the bulkhead and put a shim inbetween them? Also did you screw it to the topdeck?
The holes for the motor mount are simply moved so that the motor mount is in line with the bulkhead. it is no further forward or back. Where the motor mount and bulkhead originally overlap, 50% of the material from each piece has been removed so that the two parts can still be screwed together.

With this setup. The entire assembly works just like it does with the unmodified parts. No fewer screws are used.

The top deck does need to be modified to clear the re-positioned motor.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #10838
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
It is my car.
I wondered that after I noticed it was a 6.5 motor in there. Will Associated be releasing the bulkhead trick or is that something you did on your own?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #10839
Tech Addict

Ok thanks i will just stick with my silver bulkheads then
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #10840
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
I know I'm not Rick (I wish I had his talent) but I know in general VTA setups and TC setups are wildly different. So I would say it is probably not a good place to start. I would guess some of the VTA threads have some good TC5 setups in them.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #10841
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I use an RC8 throttle servo horn. I use the second hole on the short side. and remove the long side.

/
Do happen to have a part # for that?

Thanks

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #10842
Tech Elite

Quote:
I wondered that after I noticed it was a 6.5 motor in there. Will Associated be releasing the bulkhead trick or is that something you did on your own?
This is something we did here to test whether or not it would make a difference. it is something we are considering for release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
Ok thanks i will just stick with my silver bulkheads then
As far as centering the motor goes, these will achieve the same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Do happen to have a part # for that?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #10843
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so the ball studs mounted on the bulkhead are to make the camber links longer?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #10844
Tech Champion

Rick are those B44 shock caps you are using on your car? Any other mods you can let us in on?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #10845
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gain Time View Post
so the ball studs mounted on the bulkhead are to make the camber links longer?
Yes. if you were to mount the inner ball stud at this location, you will have to add 2mm under each outer ball stud.

Quote:
Rick are those B44 shock caps you are using on your car? Any other mods you can let us in on?
They are the new off-road bleeder caps. I was playing with them but they do not really make a difference other than possibly being easier to get rebound equal side to side. Keven H and others drill out the hole on the plastic part of the standard cap to relive pressure behind the bladder.