R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #1066
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
some of us just enjoy talking about designs. I guess I like to think out loud. The car is starting to growing on me, but for me it will come down to durability. I want to be able to run low turn mod brushless for 4-6 months before I have to rebuild diffs. I want shocks that are smooth and take only 10 minutes to build all four perfect. The success of the T2 was that it was great on a range of surfaces so I hope the new car will be the same. These threads are not just for companies or team guys to come here and promote their products. Stop complaining about people discussing a car that we know is in the early proto-type stages. If they didn't want feedback then they should have not posted a pic. I may wait for the new Xray and see what they come up, but I'm not holding my breath.
Having a diff that will last with that much stress on it is going to be hard to do. With low turn motor's and high bite track's you put alot of stress on every part of the car not only the diff's but the steering, suspension arm's and every other part of the car. When I get home from even just a club race my entier car get's rebuilt from top to bottom, diff's, shock's, I even try to run new arm's on the car and replace any slop found in the car. I also clean out every single bearing on the car and inspect them to make sure there is nothing wrong with them. If I were at a big race this would happen after every single day im at a race to ensure a perfect car and that the setup will be accurate and nothing will effect the way the car handles and the setup. I build real race car's that run in ARCA and have a good running car with no problem's on it is the key to winning, it not alway's comes down to setup but who has a car better prepared for the race. The prototype car look's very nice right now so I dont have anythign to complain about. I dont have a big problem with the shock's but they could definetley be better. Oh and some sort of way to incorporate stand off's. That's my 0.2 cent's. Hope I didnt affend annyone.

Last edited by T.J.1; 10-28-2006 at 08:52 PM.
T.J.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #1067
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J.1
Having a diff that will last with that much stress on it is going to be hard to do. With low turn motor's and high bite track's you put alot of stress on every part of the car not only the diff's but the steering, suspension arm's and every other part of the car. When I get home from even just a club race my entier car get's rebuilt from top to bottom, diff's, shock's, I even try to run new arm's on the car and replace any slop found in the car. I also clean out every single bearing on the car and inspect them to make sure there is nothing wrong with them. If I were at a big race this would happen after every single day im at a race to ensure a perfect car and that the setup will be accurate and nothing will effect the way the car handles and the setup. I build real race car's that run in ARCA and have a good running car with no problem's on it is the key to winning, it not alway's comes down to setup but who has a car better prepared for the race. The prototype car look's very nice right now so I dont have anythign to complain about. I dont have a big problem with the shock's but they could definetley be better. Oh and some sort of way to incorporate stand off's. That's my 0.2 cent's. Hope I didnt affend annyone.
I would like to see AE diffs last a season of 19t or stock racing like the Xray diffs. Shocks? Same here, they could be better,but they work. The thought of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" won't get them selling cars over a $200 T2. It must also work on most track conditions.

Last edited by RCknight; 10-28-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: sp
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #1068
Tech Apprentice

I dont like to let diff's go that long. A whole season is pushing it a bit. If you did them right then you could probally get around half a season on them. My diff's in my FT TC4 are just fine you just have to build them the correct way. Team Associated has made a huge change by goign to a belt car. They understood that the shaft car just wont keep up with the belt car's at the high level the the pro driver's are at with all of them running within a tenth of a second. I think that it took alot for them to decide to go to a belt car after all of the success with the shaft car. I know that what ever Associated cames out with is going to be a winner in the right hand's.The Ae car's have alway's been easy to setup so I know that wont be a problem but I would really like to see some type of a new design on the shock's side of the car.
T.J.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #1069
Tech Elite

Default Yea..

I have two kids, a wife, and no time to spend hours working on my stuff. AE shocks have to go, but I had Losi JRX-S shocks on my TC4 and they worked great. Anyway, they are up there with the Tamiya shocks in my book. I have had AE products for 18 years and I can build a diff. I hate it when people say they are fine. Compared to what? They need to be bigger with thicker/larger diff rings, more diff balls and retaining collars. My two cents.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #1070
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I have two kids, a wife, and no time to spend hours working on my stuff. AE shocks have to go, but I had Losi JRX-S shocks on my TC4 and they worked great. Anyway, they are up there with the Tamiya shocks in my book. I have had AE products for 18 years and I can build a diff. I hate it when people say they are fine. Compared to what? They need to be bigger with thicker/larger diff rings, more diff balls and retaining collars. My two cents.

Dude, it doesnt matter WHAT you race... cars, boats, or freekin weeble wobbles (cause they dont fall down...? ) you are gonna have to do some kind of maintenance. The T2 isnt gods gift to the rug, or to those who wish to watch Murder She Wrote, instead of spinning wrenches. Wife, kids, picking your nose, whatever... spend your spare time as you wish... but please STFU about what you wish AE would do to the new car. There are those of us in this hobby who actually have the ability to understand and manipulate chassis design, who can comprehend what a process it must be to bring something of this magnitude to the shelf, that have plenty of ideas and would love to see them implemented on a new TC, but...are we whining like you??? The time you spend here typing could build two or three diffs... MAYBE even allow a booger or two to be picked...

Sorry... just tired of it all...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #1071
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

RCKnight, I know I was disrespectful before, and I'm mostly sorry for my strong verbiage. But, again, it really sounds like you want an XRay. You clearly feel that car is the standard by which all others should be judged, and even went so far as to say the split rear bulkhead would probably become the standard, even though it's only been used by a handful of drivers around the world.

I don't really think Associated is trying to create a low-cost XRay, which it seems like you (and possibly others) are after. There's a T2R to fill that gap.

It looks like they're starting their prototype based on an existing design philosophy they KNOW works well, and then will continue to test new things to try and refine and improve upon that design.

I guess it is a shame the pictures leaked out. I do hope the final version of the car has a more distinctive visual style. The car looks rather vanilla in its current form, but I'll reserve final judgement for the production vehicle. :-)

Thanks for interfacing with the public on the design of the car, guys. It really does go a long way toward improving your company's image, and making customers (potential and existing) feel like you're keeping the market's desires in mind. It's unfortunate you have to deal with the unwashed masses, but I suppose that's the nature of this kind of interaction.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #1072
Tech Lord

I run in a 4300 sedan class that's mostly XRay cars. Those guys are rebuilding their diffs every few week. Torque kills diffs, even the precious XRay diffs. Good luck finding a car with modern diffs that can go a whole season without a rebuild, especially when using torquey brushless motors.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #1073
Tech Elite

Default I run a 4300 in my Xray and I have yet to rebuild them...

since the car first came out. Given, I don't race every week, but I did replace the diff lube with AE's when I first built it. I think the diff covers make a big difference and keeps the lube from flying off.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #1074
Tech Lord

You guys run rubber in 4300 up there in Omaha, right? Maybe it's less diff intensive? We're running foam, and -everybody- has struggled to keep the diffs from needing to be rebuilt every few weeks. Thicker lube seems to help a lot. We're running them pretty hard, too, generally real close to the 19T guys. Of course, my 3-4 week estimate takes two nights a week of club racing into consideration.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:05 PM   #1075
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
a couple things stand out on this car that look like nice features.

1) a-arms look the same side to side. losi got away from that and i wish they hadn't.

2) harder to notice, but the bulkheaads look the same side to side. easy to do on the front, but the rear looks like it too. notice the motor plate is not a part of the bulkhead?

3) are the diffs held in with pan car style rear ride height adjusters?

4) front and rear diff caps / shock tower mounts look the same.

if this car really has as much parts commonality as it looks like, that's pretty cool. anything that cuts down on the number of unique parts is good for everybody.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #1076
Tech Regular

It will be interesting to see what the final product looks like and I anticipate its arrival. However I will not buy one if the c-hubs and steering arms are the same as the TC4. For me, that was its achilles heel. I run on carpet and for some reason they broke or failed on me one way or another too many times. I never had a problem on asphalt or the parking lot concrete but I guess the high grip stress of carpet was too much.

I hope they keep the price down but I doubt that will happen. The price of the cars are starting to get a bit out of hand but I guess when people will buy something brand new every 8 months why keep the price down.

I see that a couple of guys from AE frequent this thread...if you have some input i would suggest that your marketing of the product be better than the FT TC4. The marketing on the website to be honest, did not do the FT TC4 justice. It was a much nicer looking car in person than what the website showed. Xray ( i hate to bring them up on an AE thread sorry) has superior pictures etc of their cars and does a good job on presenting their product.
AE's newer website is a good start.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #1077
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB
a couple things stand out on this car that look like nice features.

2) harder to notice, but the bulkheaads look the same side to side. easy to do on the front, but the rear looks like it too. notice the motor plate is not a part of the bulkhead?

3) are the diffs held in with pan car style rear ride height adjusters?
I do like the front bulkhead design but I guess it would reduce chassis flex. Good for carpet.

I hope AE will use the diff adjusters like Xray so that you don't need a belt tentioner to slow the drivetrain down.

By the looks of the pics the front belt doesn't look like it's holding up well. Just speculation though.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #1078
Tech Lord

Default Ode To XRay

Quote:
I hope AE will use the diff adjusters like Xray so that you don't need a belt tentioner to slow the drivetrain down.
Quote:
I like Xray's new feature on their steering post, more quick tune ackerman settings.
Quote:
They are at it they might as well go with the 007 motor mount and lower the top deck as I'm sure it will be the standard.
Quote:
I hope the car will have side bracing like the T2.
Quote:
I would like to see AE diffs last a season of 19t or stock racing like the Xray diffs.
Quote:
I would think that AE could get around Xray's pat pending on the upper deck flex option design...
Quote:
The success of the T2 was that it was great on a range of surfaces so I hope the new car will be the same.
Quote:
I think Xray picked up on it.
Quote:
The thought of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" won't get them selling cars over a $200 T2.
Quote:
I may wait for the new Xray and see what they come up, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #1079
Tech Master

syndrome, was all that effort worth proving that knight is a shill?

btw, I'm buying a T2'007 ;>

-Adam
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #1080
Tech Elite

Default Alright I'll shut up....

but people sure don't have a tolerance for people openly talking about a product. If you don't like what I have to say then don't read it. lol This is a public forum not AE's thread. I going to give my thoughts about what I want in a TC, bottom line. Maybe I'll influence them, but most likely not. Regardless, listen or not, I'm not the kind of person that sits and eats what's ever put on my plate. lol It's a fact that AE's direct competition is going to be Losi and the Xray company. Their goal should be sales and how they will obtain them.