R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 AM   #1051
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

It looks promising, but two comments:

Can AE come up with a better way to hold down the sway bars than the two cap screws.

Titanium axles!!
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:58 AM   #1052
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Wow those look like Losi rear hubs. They're taking a bit from every mfr. Guess if you can't beat them, copy them.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #1053
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The lack of originality is a bit alarming. It looks like a car that works, though, which is the most important thing. This is an early prototype still, I'm sure we'll see some frills before it's all over.

I'm not a huge fan of wavy topdecks. It seems like sharp angles are the new hotness. I realize looks don't matter, and I've said it myself, but the topdeck design of a car IS somewhat aesthetic, and it's one of the first ways you distinguish one car from another. I think the style of that piece is especially important for any car, along with its function.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #1054
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
The lack of originality is a bit alarming. It looks like a car that works, though, which is the most important thing. This is an early prototype still, I'm sure we'll see some frills before it's all over.

I'm not a huge fan of wavy topdecks. It seems like sharp angles are the new hotness. I realize looks don't matter, and I've said it myself, but the topdeck design of a car IS somewhat aesthetic, and it's one of the first ways you distinguish one car from another. I think the style of that piece is especially important for any car, along with its function.
Yea they should make it look like a big AE or better yet TC5 in stretched letters...LOL
-Shookie <><
by the way that was sarcasim...
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #1055
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Heh, Corally did it. A lot of guys would cut it out of their topdeck to get more flex, too.

To me, it looks like AE is starting with what they -know- works. There's a lot of proven designs on the market, and it seems like they're trying to combine the best of each of those into their own car. It's obviously already a performer. I imagine it will look a lot more like its own, refined breed once it's closer to production. Clearly, it's still very early in the car's life.

Even if it's a little vanilla, the inherent advantages of being Associated, with their supply and parts chain will make it a winner. If it works just like the current crop of cars, but doesn't require mail order to stay on top of parts, it's gonna be a winner in terms of sales.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #1056
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
One of the few annoyances of the AE cars I have owned in the past is the sway bar holders. I never liked the screw and washer that hold down the bar. I see in this picture that they have that same set up on this car too. I hope by the time they get the car to production they will change that.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #1057
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
One of the few annoyances of the AE cars I have owned in the past is the sway bar holders. I never liked the screw and washer that hold down the bar. I see in this picture that they have that same set up on this car too. I hope by the time they get the car to production they will change that.
whats wrong with the system? what would you rather see? the 2-56 button head and washer does its job, accomadates bar diameters, is easily adjustable, and weighs nothing...
Old 10-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #1058
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default If it's screwed into aluminum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT
whats wrong with the system? what would you rather see? the 2-56 button head and washer does its job, accomadates bar diameters, is easily adjustable, and weighs nothing...
I'm sure it won't stay put.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #1059
Tech Elite

Default I like the Corrally style front/rear bulkheads

Quote:
and how the upper deck butt's up against them. I would think the antena mount would make the upper deck flex inconsistant. I hope the car will have side bracing like the T2. I have not see it yet on any of the proto types. Pre drilled holes for a tweak plate would be nice. I would think that AE could get around Xray's pat pending on the upper deck flex option design by just letting the customer cut out some of the upper deck so that you have the flex options. While they are at it they might as well go with the 007 motor mount and lower the top deck as I'm sure it will be the standard. I hope those are a new diff design. It would be cool if they would make the motor mount move in or out for better balancing. I run brushless and lipo and anything that would help may get me into one.

Last edited by RCknight; 10-28-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #1060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WOW
2 posts in a row not deleted
that must be a record for you of late rcknight
Old 10-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #1061
Tech Elite

It is a prototype car. What you see is not always what you get. As a new AE driver, I wondered why AE was reluctant to allow photos. Now I know why! TOO much speculation

I have used Tc4 hubs and Losi hubs on my prototype. There is a very good reason for it :-) You can use an existing part to TRY something. Or manufacture an entirely new part to try something. From a cost perspective alone, using an existing part is preferable.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:44 PM   #1062
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i Heard a saying not to long ago that i think maybe applies to this thread.

Women and halfwitts should never see a job half done.

I am not calling any of you stupid directly and not having a dig at the female populatoin either, ( the couple of female drivers at my local club i race against kick my butt ) and you are of course all entitled to your opinion. However, the word prototype should be a fair sign that this car is not finished and probably still has a lot of R & D to go into the final make up of the chassis.

A lot of people have said it this part looks like a copy from xray, corrally, etc etc. But these comparisons are probably good feedback for AE, how good ar both these cars in particular.

My 2 cents.

I think you get to a point with these chassis where you get a lot of the same features, and so many of these cars are starting to look similar.

My point does pose a question though.

If every manufacturer was to bring out another innovative piece of technology with every chassis they produce. ( wheather it be material or tuning device ) How tunable do we all need these chassis to be? How far is to far when it comes to the amount of fine tuning options you can have at your disposal?

Thoughts anyone?
tc4wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #1063
Tech Elite

Default Hey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It is a prototype car. What you see is not always what you get. As a new AE driver, I wondered why AE was reluctant to allow photos. Now I know why! TOO much speculation

I have used Tc4 hubs and Losi hubs on my prototype. There is a very good reason for it :-) You can use an existing part to TRY something. Or manufacture an entirely new part to try something. From a cost perspective alone, using an existing part is preferable.
some of us just enjoy talking about designs. I guess I like to think out loud. The car is starting to grow on me, but for me it will come down to durability. I want to be able to run low turn mod brushless for 4-6 months before I have to rebuild diffs. I want shocks that are smooth and take only 10 minutes to build all four perfect. The success of the T2 was that it was great on a range of surfaces so I hope the new car will be the same. These threads are not just for companies or team guys to come here and promote their products. Stop complaining about people discussing a car that we know is in the early proto-type stages. If they didn't want feedback then they should have not posted a pic. I may wait for the new Xray and see what they come up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by RCknight; 10-28-2006 at 09:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #1064
Tech Elite

Default I'm all for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4wally
A lot of people have said it this part looks like a copy from xray, corrally, etc etc. But these comparisons are probably good feedback for AE, how good ar both these cars in particular.

My 2 cents.

I think you get to a point with these chassis where you get a lot of the same features, and so many of these cars are starting to look similar.

My point does pose a question though.

If every manufacturer was to bring out another innovative piece of technology with every chassis they produce. ( wheather it be material or tuning device ) How tunable do we all need these chassis to be? How far is to far when it comes to the amount of fine tuning options you can have at your disposal?

Thoughts anyone?
taking the best design from each company and putting it all into one car. I think Xray picked up on it. Personally, I'm all for making a car easier to work on and tune easy. It can be more complex if I don't have to tear the car down with every tuning option. I like Xray's new feature on their steering post, more quick tune ackerman settings. Two key words for tuning options, quick and easy. If I can make a quick changes, but I didn't like it, then I can switch back and I didn't waste much time. Most racing is about who can find the best setup in an amount of time given. Just my two cents.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #1065
Tech Elite

Default Yea...I tring not to ruin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
WOW
2 posts in a row not deleted
that must be a record for you of late rcknight
AE's thread.