R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #10306
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquackjr View Post
local asphalt racing "club" has started running a "spec" class, any car but only 13.5 motor and 36r tires.

today had a really hard time with the back end not sticking well, was really loose .

1) any good setup sheets fo rthis kind of setup

2) what ( other than tires) do you all change to get the rear end to stay planted in corner better?

3) i have doen lots of off road racing and with that you can tell when the tires are wearing, how do you know a set is bad/doen with onroad ( i cannot buy tons of tires)

thanks in advance for your help

if you coudl PM me with ideas or to let me know a response is posted i woudl appreciate it.
Changes that will help with rear grip...

-More rear toe-in on the inner hing pin holders (inboard toe)

-less rear arm down travel

-softer rear shock or stiffer front

-be sure to check the outer glue job on your tires after every run

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #10307
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

What can you expect to see from going from 2a on the arm mounts to 3a? I saw a difference on some of the AE driver sheets and wondered...you are really messing with squat or dive, just the height of the arms...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #10308
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

hey guys, I started the Exotek TC5 Euro build tonight. As you can see from the pics, I milled out a little more that came from Exotek to accomodate the new rear bulkheads I bought from Greig. So far everything is literly falling together. The machining from both people is dead on, and it's going way better than expected. I can't wait to get this thing built and runnin' on the track. I didn't have any issues with the rear diff getting pinched by the shocktower assembly, but I did have to file down the spacer on the layshaft about 10 thousands to get it to fit in between the new bulkheads. This only took 15 minutes and it's as free as it was. I used a hand file and rubbed the spacer on it. If anyone has any questions, let me know. Exotek and Greig both have outstanding products.

Last edited by MUDVAYNE; 09-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #10309
Suspended

For the people who said our bulkheads would bend in a crash due to having no screw past the motor, this is what happens with the standard associated part with all screws fitted shows what happens when you use a poor grade alloy over our superior machined bulkheads ;-). Also they look superb on the chassis above!
Nick Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #10310
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default thanks for the help

I appreciate the input, sound like checking and increasing ( most likely) the rear toe is where i will start. Without actually measuring , you are probably right.. my T4 has more rear toe than the TC5 does right now and i probably should have thought of that. I will give it a go and let you all know
thanks again
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #10311
Suspended

Also thanks for the good words on the bulkheads mudvayne :-)
Nick Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #10312
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Yup, I bent one as well due to 4 cars tagging me while in pole position in the first corner. Wish people would learn to be patient off the line...
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #10313
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Yup, I bent one as well due to 4 cars tagging me while in pole position in the first corner. Wish people would learn to be patient off the line...
Ain't that the truth, it happened on the 2nd final on Sunday's race meet. I started in 3rd with a Losi XXX-S in 2nd and another TC5 in 1st, 1st and 2nd got tangled up on take off which I managed to dodge. The Losi was one the road waiting for a marshell when 6 other cars managed to hit at near top speed breaking multiple parts on it. That would not of happened with the A and B from qualifing stayed as seperate classes.

That Exotek chassis looks real sweet, if I had the money and the Aussie doller was better I would consider getting one. But at least with my parts order arriving yesterday I'm now able to set up my car to how want it, yay for silver springs

Last edited by Scooter79rs; 07-20-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Scooter79rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #10314
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Seriously....thats terrible. I hope the others offered to pay for the broken parts...

If Im not on pole, I don't floor it off the line, in fact now, I will get out of the way, sometimes count to 5, then take off and pass most of the crashes in the first lap, usually fighting for a podium position by lap 2....
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #10315
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
hey guys, I started the Exotek TC5 Euro build tonight. As you can see from the pics, I milled out a little more that came from Exotek to accomodate the new rear bulkheads I bought from Greig. So far everything is literly falling together. The machining from both people is dead on, and it's going way better than expected. I can't wait to get this thing built and runnin' on the track. I didn't have any issues with the rear diff getting pinched by the shocktower assembly, but I did have to file down the spacer on the layshaft about 10 thousands to get it to fit in between the new bulkheads. This only took 15 minutes and it's as free as it was. I used a hand file and rubbed the spacer on it. If anyone has any questions, let me know. Exotek and Greig both have outstanding products.
I have bent one right front bulkhead on the car so far. How much are, and where can I get a set of those?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #10316
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

PM Nick Priest. They are shipped from the UK. I believe that there is a set on eBay at the moment.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #10317
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr View Post
I have bent one right front bulkhead on the car so far. How much are, and where can I get a set of those?
Yes, Nick put me in touch with a gentleman named Greig, from the UK. As of right now, I believe he's only doing the rear bulkheads, but if people start requesting fronts you never know what will happen. Like I said before, excellent machining work, and the parts lined right up with no problems. The Exotek chassis is machined excellent as well. Very happy customer here.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #10318
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For those of you running your TC5R in vintage, what droop are you starting at?
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:28 AM   #10319
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Priest View Post
Also thanks for the good words on the bulkheads mudvayne :-)
Hey, great comunication and fast shipping with a quality product, what else can I say?. If greig has a screen name here I would like to give him some good feedback as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #10320
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Seriously....thats terrible. I hope the others offered to pay for the broken parts...

If Im not on pole, I don't floor it off the line, in fact now, I will get out of the way, sometimes count to 5, then take off and pass most of the crashes in the first lap, usually fighting for a podium position by lap 2....
Dunno, I think the guy had spares. I was one of the couple cars that didn't hit it, and the initial colision happened right in front of me.