R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #10276
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
Anyone running a novak gtb with 17.5 brushless on the tc5r? According to the site fdr is 3.5 which I calculated 72/40 and wondering if anyone is following the recommended fdr or is it staying cool with something higher than 3.5fdr?
I've got my LRP (with fan) geared to 3.56 (66/37) and it has only been getting somewhere between 48-58 C. I can easily go taller with gear, one of the problem I race against was geared to 3.2/3.3 and as far I'm aware he didn't have any temp problems, but he was running a LRP 17.5 so it may require different gearing for a Novak 17.5 (I'm assuming Novak)
Old 07-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #10277
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default exotek chassis

Is it possible to use the stock tc5 battery strap with the exotek chassis?

--pakk
Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #10278
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Is it possible to use the stock tc5 battery strap with the exotek chassis?

--pakk
Pakk, I believe you can. I haven't started the build yet(my wife has been ill and I'm taking care of her) but when I do I'll look into it. From what I've seen so far I believe you can.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #10279
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Here's the TOP Steel Spool.

Length compared to the TC5 Aluminum Spool:

Here you can see that the pulley centers perfectly due to the raised portion in the middle. Also, look at the diameter where the bearing sits compared to the outdrive. If the outdrive becomes damaged, the bearing will still slide off easily.

I was thinking about milling the ends off to make the cutouts usable for blades once the spool wears, but this might be slightly problematic:

rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #10280
Tech Elite

i had the top spool in my car the way it comes with no problems.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #10281
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Not saying there are any problems. I personally would like it to have double the lifespan with 1 more cutout to use blades as well (or if there were no cutouts, 1 more slot for the pins)

The TOP spool has already proved to be superior to the AE piece because of the smaller diameter outdrive that helps to remove bearings, and the fact that it centers the pulley.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #10282
Tech Champion

OK guys. I just finished with my first race day with the Exotek TC5X chassis. Before I built up the car my first step was to weigh the electronics in the car to check and see how balanced it will truly be. (Having the same weight left and right IS the only true way to have your car balanced) I'm running and Orion 13.5, an LRP SXX speedo, Futaba 9550 Servo, Spektrum micro receiver, and an AMB PT. That only weighed 1.9oz more than the Orion 5000 lipo I'm running. So the 2oz of weight for the steel battery retainers is a perfect amount of balancing weight. I didn't run the high flex top deck today since I broke it during testing last week with an impact that would make you cringe. However, I don't really think it's all that necessary on tracks with higher grip levels like the track I tested at and where I raced today. On the track, this car feels more balanced than any touring car I've ever driven. Being able to move the battery as far forward in in close to the center line of the car as you can with this chassis really makes for a more balanced car all around. (I'm talking on track feel, not what you think is balance when you hang a battery off the edge of the car and it "feels" balanced.) The car itself needed some setup work since I really only got the car last week and didn't have a base setup to go by other than what I know about touring cars and what I've always liked in a car. After a few adjustments I had the car working great. Lots of steering, good amount of rear grip, and smooth. So far I'm extremely happy with the TC5 and especially with the Exotek chassis. Mike has really done his homework on this thing. Well worth the money. (And no, I didn't get it for free. I paid for it just like everyone else.)

Here's a few pics of the car with the Exotek conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC5-p7170030.jpg   Team Associated TC5-p7170031.jpg   Team Associated TC5-p7170033.jpg   Team Associated TC5-p7170034.jpg  
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #10283
Tech Champion

Oh and just to make you guys drool a little, here's the track I was doing testing at. West Coast R/C Raceway in La Mirada. New track. We went up for the weekend last week for the first days of practice. Anyone within driving distance of Southern California needs to make a trip to this place. It's R/C heaven. Don't be surprised if you start seeing all the major races for on and off road electric held here. Check Out The Website
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC5-p7120005.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #10284
Tech Elite

Jon,

I know you said the top deck did not seem necessary, but how much of a difference did it make? I'm guessing not too much.

Is it possible for you to see if the stock tc5 battery will work with the exotek chassis?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #10285
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

What springs are those on your car? My car was ok today but maybe from reading your report I might order the Exotek chassis. So far to be honest I just don't car for the TC5 at this time but maybe the new chassis will make me want to keep the car and work on it alot harder to make it work better.

Your car does look great. If worked anything like it looks then it is dialed.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #10286
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Jon,

I know you said the top deck did not seem necessary, but how much of a difference did it make? I'm guessing not too much.

Is it possible for you to see if the stock tc5 battery will work with the exotek chassis?

Thanks
It actually made a big difference. And on a low grip track I can see it being a big help. But we had a lot of grip up there by the end of the second day and the high flex was making the car act funny under hard acceleration (I was running mod most of the time last week) and through high speed corners. Putting the stock top deck on with higher grip really made the car more predictable. I would get it as a tuning option if you're going to be getting the chassis.

And do you mean the stock battery brace? I really have no idea since I don't have a stock battery brace. I never run them. They tweak the chassis usually. I always use tape. Not as simple, but it doesn't mess with the handling of the car.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #10287
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
What springs are those on your car? My car was ok today but maybe from reading your report I might order the Exotek chassis. So far to be honest I just don't car for the TC5 at this time but maybe the new chassis will make me want to keep the car and work on it alot harder to make it work better.

Your car does look great. If worked anything like it looks then it is dialed.
That's for me to know. j/k They're Tamiya Blue in front and Tamiya Yellow in the rear. (I know they're white. Tamiya's new spring kits are all white with a colored dot to indicate what they are.) And thanks for the compliment. I work really hard on making my cars look nice and clean.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #10288
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr View Post
That's for me to know. j/k They're Tamiya Blue in front and Tamiya Yellow in the rear. (I know they're white. Tamiya's new spring kits are all white with a colored dot to indicate what they are.) And thanks for the compliment. I work really hard on making my cars look nice and clean.
Thanks Jon. The hard works shows. I think you need to post a pic or two in that Show off your best wiring thread. It is more than worthy.

Great track to. Have to love indoor asphalt thats for sure. I'm lucky enough to have an indoor track and something to say about a/c when its 90 plus outside.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #10289
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The new Exotek chassis TC5 took 1 and 2 here today. My TC5 feels better than it ever has. I am very pleased with the balance of the car and overall drivability. I used the Exotek top plate and battery strap as well. Today was my first time running the car with the chassis and I am very pleased thus far and can't wait to dial it in even more.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #10290
EJF
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Im lookinjg to get back into touring car and would like to get a TC5, mainly due to parts availibilty, I will be racing on both a carpet and asphalt tracks, question is which version should i get and what is the difference between the tc factory team, tc5r and tc5f?
EJF is offline   Reply With Quote