R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #10216
Tech Elite
 
trdsupra88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,531
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I don't worry about the slop too much. Some slop will never affect the cars handling. I actually took a car and shimmed out all of the slop one time and it was the worst handling car and never would go straight. I then took all the shims I put in out so it would have the slop again and was amazed how well the car worked and how it would now go straight.

I think many get too carried away and worried about slop because some 5$500 plus car has less slop than are $350 car. Work on setup more and maybe shim a little slop out but just run it because the slop won't hurt you.

I remember when I ran for Schumacher and Chris Tossolini at that time won the Nationals and also raced for Schumacher. I was on vacation in Florida and stopped by Schumacher to get some parts and check out the place. They had Chris's touring car at the shop and when I looked at it it had easily 3 times more slop than my Schumahcer car did but he didn't have no problems that year lapping the field with his car. Main thing is slop is just not really a huge problem. Ever since that I don't worry about it too much. I will just change out totally worn parts in the drive train but mostother slop I just leave it in the car.
Mine is fairly free and not a ton of slop...the only slpo that bothers me is the slop that you get in the bearings that bothers the camber adjustment...it can be .5* sometimes...
__________________
I cut my own hair ☆
trdsupra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #10217
Tech Master
 
jag88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I don't worry about the slop too much. Some slop will never affect the cars handling. I actually took a car and shimmed out all of the slop one time and it was the worst handling car and never would go straight. I then took all the shims I put in out so it would have the slop again and was amazed how well the car worked and how it would now go straight.

I think many get too carried away and worried about slop because some 5$500 plus car has less slop than are $350 car. Work on setup more and maybe shim a little slop out but just run it because the slop won't hurt you.

I remember when I ran for Schumacher and Chris Tossolini at that time won the Nationals and also raced for Schumacher. I was on vacation in Florida and stopped by Schumacher to get some parts and check out the place. They had Chris's touring car at the shop and when I looked at it it had easily 3 times more slop than my Schumahcer car did but he didn't have no problems that year lapping the field with his car. Main thing is slop is just not really a huge problem. Ever since that I don't worry about it too much. I will just change out totally worn parts in the drive train but mostother slop I just leave it in the car.

I tend to agree with you but it makes me mad when I go to set camber and the wheel moves +/- 1 degree and
also when I try to set the toe and the same +/- 1 degree shows up again. That's why I don't own a set up
station. It seems useless to me with that much slop in the car.


I replaced a lot of stuff in the TC5, so much so, that I'm not sure I can call it a TC5 anymore.
Anyway here's what I did .....


I replaced all the AE ball cups with LOsi rod ends (6017). The rod ends are shorter then the AE ball
cups so you will have to use longer turnbuckles.

I replaced the AE ball studs with HPI ball studs (75115 short, 75116 long) because I think they are
a tighter fit. That's up to you.

I replaced the AE c hubs and knuckles with Losi parts. I don't have the part #s but they have two kind.
One has only one hole in it for the tie rod and the other has two holes. I started with the one hole
knuckle but I had to make an extension to pick up the hole positions on the AE knuckle so as to keep
the same ackerman geometry. I attached the extension using the exsisting hole plus a hole I drilled for
a 2-56 screw so that the extension wouldn't rotate.
I then tried the the two hole knuckle without an extension. I just used the rearward hole. It's not the
same ackerman but close.
BTW you have to drill out the Losi c hub hindge pin hole to 3 mm so you can use the AE hindge pin.
The Losi parts are English so you have to use the Losi axle and bearings. That's a good thing because
it takes away the slop of the AE axle and bearing. I used the Losi LCD's and it worked great and is
smooth with a spool.
I liked the LCD's so much I put them on the rear. Again I had to use Losi parts for the rear. I had to
machine the Losi rear upright down because it was too tall and would have given me a high camber gain if
I didn't. You might be able to use the upright as is and move the inside camber link position up one hole.
You don't have to do any of this in the rear but I just wanted to get rid of the AE axle and bearing.

I replaced the AE shocks with Tamiya shocks.

I replaced the AE flathead screws with Xray only because I thought the AE screws looked cheap.
Not necessary, but what the hell.

Having re-read this I think I went a little over the top but I love building and modifying, maybe a little
more then racing.

Like I said I don't know if I can still call this a TC5 ....
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #10218
Tech Elite
 
trdsupra88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,531
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default

Damn...I look at it as AE did a great job on the tc5. They went from the FT to the r and f and changed very few parts, if there were any major issues, I think they would have changed them then...as for the camber slop issue: I turn the top of the wheel or gauge out when measuring because that is thetrue angle it is at when in motion and the force is being introduced.
__________________
I cut my own hair ☆
trdsupra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #10219
Tech Adept
 
Fabricio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 210
Send a message via MSN to Fabricio Send a message via Skype™ to Fabricio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
What I've done, which is a bit time consuming, is dremel off every other tooth on the front and rear pulleys. Similar to what Tamiya has been doing for years to reduce belt friction



This is my advice for reducing tweak www.exotekracing.com
Did not understand, can you explain better?My english is not so good.
__________________
ARC R10 - ORCA - SANWA - EPIC
Fabricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #10220
Tech Elite
 
IIGQ4U's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: La Jolla, CA SoCal
Posts: 2,489
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

I am not sure that it can be stated any simpler in english.

Corte todo outro dente nas talhas dianteiras e traseiras.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #10221
Tech Regular
 
chrisfrom619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego California
Posts: 294
Send a message via Yahoo to chrisfrom619
Default Slop problem

If you are tired of having slop on your car you can do some modification on it like using the xray parts for the linkage rod ends this mod will probably cost you around 30 bucks to do all the linkage. Or if your are a el cheapo like me you can use parts the parts plastic bags put it on top of the ball the just pop the rod end in place it works for me. But yes the quality is not so great af far as the plastic parts but you can't beat the low price.
__________________
#1 Sponsor: Wifey
Hpi baja, traxxas e-maxx,slash, AE TC5R, RC18R,SC10, Thunder Tiger EB4 S2, and Futaba 4pk

DHW Raceway San Diego CA.
Novice Class
chrisfrom619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #10222
Tech Adept
 
Fabricio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 210
Send a message via MSN to Fabricio Send a message via Skype™ to Fabricio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGQ4U View Post
I am not sure that it can be stated any simpler in english.

Corte todo outro dente nas talhas dianteiras e traseiras.
Mean to dremel sharp edges is that correct?
__________________
ARC R10 - ORCA - SANWA - EPIC
Fabricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #10223
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,563
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
If the tightness is from the center pulley being too high, there are two options.

One is the exotek holders. It lowers the shaft 1.25mm.

The other option is this completely new rear bulk head. It seems to do two major changes. One is lower the center shaft 5mm and move the motor 5mm to the center.

--pakk
I have the holders installed right now and they do a great job of loosening the belts. The bulkheads are on the way from England. I haven't received them yet, but can't wait till they get here. I also have the Exotek chassis, topdeck and strap, but haven't opened any of that yet.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #10224
Tech Elite
 
IIGQ4U's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: La Jolla, CA SoCal
Posts: 2,489
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricio View Post
Mean to dremel sharp edges is that correct?
No, it means Dremel the teeth on the pulley. Dremel every second tooth from the pulley.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #10225
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,095
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
Mine is fairly free and not a ton of slop...the only slpo that bothers me is the slop that you get in the bearings that bothers the camber adjustment...it can be .5* sometimes...
Yeah I agree that can be a little bit of a pain.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #10226
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,095
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfrom619 View Post
If you are tired of having slop on your car you can do some modification on it like using the xray parts for the linkage rod ends this mod will probably cost you around 30 bucks to do all the linkage. Or if your are a el cheapo like me you can use parts the parts plastic bags put it on top of the ball the just pop the rod end in place it works for me. But yes the quality is not so great af far as the plastic parts but you can't beat the low price.
When I got my car used from a friend he always ran Xray cars. He did use the Xray ball ends on the car. I do like that setup with those ends on. The other ball ends that always worked great for me is the Schumacher ball ends. I always like the gray ones Schumacher uses on all their touring cars.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #10227
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,095
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
I have the holders installed right now and they do a great job of loosening the belts. The bulkheads are on the way from England. I haven't received them yet, but can't wait till they get here. I also have the Exotek chassis, topdeck and strap, but haven't opened any of that yet.
I have the Exotek lower holders installed as well. I can't say my car is as free as some other cars I have had but it is very smooth with zero binding. My belts do have a little bit of slack and don't fit so tight that it hampers my efficiency or speed. I'm as fast as almost everyone and I get beat by setup and some guys who drive better but speed is for the most part a non issue.

I will say they though it would of been very easy for Associated to offer optional belts that are longer and looser. I'm kinda suprised they never done this. Not a running change that most people don't notice but a true new part number with different belts.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #10228
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 667
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricio View Post
Mean to dremel sharp edges is that correct?
no it means to dremel every other tooth off on the pulley
__________________
Speedpassion USA Team Driver
Schumacher USA Team Driver
Lucky 13 rc graphics
Remember this..... Heaven and Hell are really not places, just your state of mind.
JdogL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #10229
Tech Master
 
jag88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfrom619 View Post
If you are tired of having slop on your car you can do some modification on it like using the xray parts for the linkage rod ends this mod will probably cost you around 30 bucks to do all the linkage. Or if your are a el cheapo like me you can use parts the parts plastic bags put it on top of the ball the just pop the rod end in place it works for me. But yes the quality is not so great af far as the plastic parts but you can't beat the low price.


..... another thing you can use is plumbers teflon tape. I think they use it on pipe fittings.
It takes up the slop and , obviously, is very slick.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #10230
Tech Adept
 
Fabricio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 210
Send a message via MSN to Fabricio Send a message via Skype™ to Fabricio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
..... another thing you can use is plumbers teflon tape. I think they use it on pipe fittings.
It takes up the slop and , obviously, is very slick.
I am using this tape and it really works.

The bad part is to apply it
__________________
ARC R10 - ORCA - SANWA - EPIC
Fabricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Losi XXXS G+ with parts!! Team Orion V2 Hitec 5625 cola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-18-2008 07:11 PM
BATTERIES - Team Orion 4200 SHO Team Cells (6 cell) packs................... For Sale 2-Bad Australia For Sale/Trade 0 03-21-2008 01:16 AM
New Items for Sale Tamiya F103gt Chassis Kit, Team Much More CTX-D, Novak, Team Orion Tsquare R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 04-17-2007 07:29 PM
>>> BRAND STINKING NEW NEVER RAN TEAM JAMMIN FACTORY TEAM FTE RACING BUGGY <<<< mach51 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-25-2007 08:13 PM
F/S Team Associated Factory Team RC18T with Mamba Comp X Brushless and Extras ZeroCool101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 01-07-2006 12:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:57 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net