R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #9556
Suspended

For anybody in the uk wanting a setup plate

My friend who does the lipo plates and bulkheads will also be making these very soon.

i'll keep you posted..
Nick Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #9557
Tech Regular

Guys,

started to build the kit and i have already ran into difficulty

building the shocks the seal retainer is really really tight into the shock body do i need to trim this down or something as i cant actually push it in! without severe force
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #9558
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default shocks

Not sure if this the absolute correct way of building the shock...but it worked for me...

I filed the edges, very very little taken off (more to round off the edge)...just enough to squeeze it in
placed shock oil on the edges before placing into shock cylinder
use the shock tool in the kit to make it easier..
Went in snug, way easier than trying it straight from the pack...
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #9559
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacrash View Post
Guys,

started to build the kit and i have already ran into difficulty

building the shocks the seal retainer is really really tight into the shock body do i need to trim this down or something as i cant actually push it in! without severe force
Do not trim down the retainer. I did this and ended up with leaking shocks. When I got my rebuild kit I replaced the retainers, and they were very hard to put in, made easier by the shock kit.

So percevere with the retainers as they are, I ended up with a red mark on my hand after installing them, a small red circle where I was pushing hard on the shock tool. Since then though I have had zero problems, couldn't be happier.

Also if you didn't already know, dont include the large blue foam in your shocks, unless you really want to have that extra rebound.

Regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #9560
Tech Rookie

ok guys allow me to introduce my self,my name is Chris live in the southeasteren part of georgia,been into rc for over 20 years,mainly helis and planes for the past few years.
just got my tc5r a few days ago for parking lot racing at my LHS.
now for a few ?s, i have been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now and answered most of my ?s that way,
is box setup a good place to start ie tc5r settings?
any word on losi xcelorin motors and esc,i can get a new one for 130 bucks with usb and software or should i go with the novak. i like the fact i can program with my pc,but is it wort it?
the track we are running is VERY tight.lanes are about 8ft wide with a front streach at about 110ft and then lots of turns,like i said very tight,any input on tight track setting would be great
thanks Chris
ctg1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #9561
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg1129 View Post
ok guys allow me to introduce my self,my name is Chris live in the southeasteren part of georgia,been into rc for over 20 years,mainly helis and planes for the past few years.
now for a few ?s, i have been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now and answered most of my ?s that way,
any word on losi xcelorin motors and esc,i can get a new one for 130 bucks with usb and software or should i go with the novak. i like the fact i can program with my pc,but is it wort it?
the track we are running is VERY tight.lanes are about 8ft wide with a front streach at about 110ft and then lots of turns,like i said very tight,any input on tight track setting would be great
thanks Chris
Just had a look at the kit setup for rubber and it looks pretty good, should be fine for starting, seems like a nice 'nuetral' setup. Just make sure that you setup the car precisely, I see a lot of new guys just roughly throwing setups on, you will be repaid all the time you spend being precise with faster laptimes. I would recommend buying a set of shock springs, so that you can tune with those since the level of grip will change drastically which springs work best.

As for the electronics I hear varied reports on the excelorin speed control. I think its one of the many Hobbywing products rebranded so it should be OK, but with anything, you get what you pay for. If you like ease of programming and don't want to have to use a PC then I can recommend the speed passion LPF (6.5t motor limit) or GT(2.5t motor limit) as it comes with a hand-held programming card, which is great.
I haven't heard any reports of the Novak system but Novak are a good brand and I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

Regards

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #9562
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
thanks Chris
I have run the Losi Xcelorin with a Losi 13.5 in my touring car, and it showed just how my old car can't handle todays speed and handling I had some issues with mine regarding the steering glitching with my FM radio - I told the Speed Control I had a 2.4 GHz and it went away My last problem is getting the braking power sorted out (the light comes on, but the car doesn't even slow down). If you can get it cheap, I'd say go for it.

Welcome to the car world

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Thirtybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #9563
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

CTG i have a novak havoc with 13.5 new for 150 used 2 times let me know
Remember this..... Heaven and Hell are really not places, just your state of mind.
JdogL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #9564
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
thanks Chris
novak motor and look into the new lrp tc sxx esc that has just came out. online stores have got them in and lhs's will soon.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #9565
Tech Rookie

thanks for the input guys,i will do some more research on what esc and motor combo im gonna get ,i will let everyone know what direction i go and the end results after
thanks Chris
ctg1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #9566
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to raven101 Send a message via Yahoo to raven101

Chris i am running the xcellerin 13.5 at the parkinglot races here at my lhs and everyone calls it a cheater 13.5. it does have a higher kv than anyother 13.5 but the speed control is the week point. friends i race with use the same motor with the venom speed control which is the same as the speed passion just rebadged and it seams to be a little better. but i have no complaints about the losi system at all. it does cost alittle more than the havok system though.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #9567
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've read here that people take off a motor mount mounting screw?

Which screw is that? The one that goes in the bulkhead or the front chassis screw?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #9568
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven101 View Post
Chris i am running the xcellerin 13.5 at the parkinglot races here at my lhs and everyone calls it a cheater 13.5. it does have a higher kv than anyother 13.5 but the speed control is the week point. friends i race with use the same motor with the venom speed control which is the same as the speed passion just rebadged and it seams to be a little better. but i have no complaints about the losi system at all. it does cost alittle more than the havok system though.
the new speed passion 2.0 is a beast and customer support is second to none love them
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #9569
Tech Rookie

why not run a rubber band and twist it till it almost breaks!!!!... I hope you find a combination here that we will all try and maybe run out of town
Chuckyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #9570
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
thanks Chris
I know are shop we have lots of problems with the Losi brushless motors. I just burned up a 17.5 this week on the 2nd run and it wiped out my speedo as well. Motor was 149 degrees the 1st run, then I ran my 2nd heat and changed nothing and the motor went over 200 and now is a expensive paper weight. The shop over the winter season of racing only had problems with the Losi motors. I know the shop owner is going to send all his remaining stock back.

Not sure about the speedo. I was told they are smooth but don't have as much timing as many of the newer speedos out so take it for what thats worth.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote