R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #9136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackansi View Post
If you have a TC5, stay away from Integy. One of my rear arms had a swaybar hole that was unthreaded (they didn't tap it). And both the rear hub carriers aren't machined deep enough to let the bearings seat completely. When you put it all together it puts a lateral squeeze on the bearings.. I didn't notice and ruined some nitride bearings 3 packs into them.

Their support has been most unhelpful. Instead of taking their unfinished part back (rear arm) and giving me a completed one, they only offered a discount on buying another one. Integy also says that since I didn't buy them directly from them they can't verify that they are the right parts (bought them from Tower Hobbies, tower won't take them back, no surprise). They look just like the parts I took off, just like the ones in the pictures, and fit perfectly except for the mentioned problems.

So instead of fixing the problem like a responsible company, they chose to shrug it off.

Its not like I'm asking for much, just the parts I ordered, although machined RIGHT. I didn't ask them to replace the bearings or anything (that was my stupid fault assuming the parts were in tolerance).

Beware of Integy.
wow i purchased several parts from integy and everything was exactly perfect (rear hubs , front steering blocks) and in the past several parts that i had no problems with and u shouldnt really use aluminum arms anyways they look good but if they bend u will think ur chassis is tweaked and spend endless hours chasing a tweak when it was the arm
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #9137
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Integy's quality controll is terrible. I work @ my LHS, and we sell a lot of integy stuff for many different cars, and from what ive seen, everything from them is hit or miss (excpet thier shocks, which just plain suck). Had many people buy T-Maxx bulkheads, and some love them, and some are curing because the bearings wont fit. IMO id just stay away from them, and find something better or just live with plastic.

Also for setups for an unprepped track, your better off looking @ the 07 reedy setups vs the 07 nats setup, because the 07 nats was @ SIR, which was a very high bite indoor asphalt track, whereas the tamiya track is outdoors. Youll probably have to tweak on it either way, but the RROC setups should get your closer into the ballpark

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #9138
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I'll agree with that, Integy is very hit and miss. My servo saver and steering blocks are ok. The front and rear hubs were horrible. I also don't think they use a very high quality of aluminum.

Village Idiot Racing - Now accepting driver applications.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #9139
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How do these and the TC3 compare? I really loved the TC3 back in the day, I just digged the tubbed chassis and shaft drive. My schummy always tweaked and I never like top plate cars because of them. The TC3 was good unless you got a bad chassis or it somehow got tweaked.

I stopped racing touring back in 02 and I miss it alot, there is a new carpet track that looks super nice here so I wanted to get into it again. I have been looking around at the new cars and wow $$$. It also seems like Every car is a CF chassis and Top plate design now. I was just curious how the 2 stacked up against each other, handling/tweak wise.

Thanks

Josh
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #9140
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM20 View Post
How do these and the TC3 compare? I really loved the TC3 back in the day, I just digged the tubbed chassis and shaft drive. My schummy always tweaked and I never like top plate cars because of them. The TC3 was good unless you got a bad chassis or it somehow got tweaked.

I stopped racing touring back in 02 and I miss it alot, there is a new carpet track that looks super nice here so I wanted to get into it again. I have been looking around at the new cars and wow $$$. It also seems like Every car is a CF chassis and Top plate design now. I was just curious how the 2 stacked up against each other, handling/tweak wise.

Thanks

Josh
well josh i am one that started with a tc3 and then upgraded to the tc5i have the ft and i tell u i love it tons more steering smoother driveline zero tourque steer all around better car if ur gona run carpet u need the thicker chassis
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #9141
Tech Addict

Keven is sitting 13th after the first round at the LRP TCM. Not bad!

http://tcm2009.lrp.cc/fileadmin/lrp_...Q_Ranking.html
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #9142
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crum View Post
well josh i am one that started with a tc3 and then upgraded to the tc5i have the ft and i tell u i love it tons more steering smoother driveline zero tourque steer all around better car if ur gona run carpet u need the thicker chassis
What is this tourqe steer that I keep hearing about with the Shaft cars? I'm sure I have felt it driving I just never heard it refferred to like that.

Josh
Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #9143
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
What is this tourqe steer that I keep hearing about with the Shaft cars? I'm sure I have felt it driving I just never heard it refferred to like that.

Josh
Much like what happens with a full size car when you squeel the tires (especially a FWD). When you hit the throttle to full from a dead stop your car will steer off into one direction. With Belt driven cars of today, you can do that, and your car will track straight. (Assuming traction is even)

Paul
Old 03-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #9144
Tech Master

Quote:

Josh
tourque steer cause the shaft drive cars the motor is parelell with the chassis u have to tranfers power from sideways to front to rear with the belt drives all rotating mass is spinning the same direction therefore no tourque steer
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #9145
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Torque steer in a front drive car is caused by halfshafts of different length and the flexing in all the mounts moving the wheels to a new location to or from the steeing rack afecting toe.

In a solid axle (live axle) RWD the torque from the ring and pinion is fed through the axle planting one tire and lifting on the other.

Neither of these apply to the TC3 as the shafts are equal and the ring and pinion is on the chassis. I am not understanding exactly what the car is doing that is being called torque steer?

The motor is spinning one way and the shaft with both pinions is spinning the oppisite, those two gyroscopic forces should come close to canceling each other out.
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #9146
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the integy tc5 parts are just silly. they don't look stronge. and who would buy aluminum a-arms? they made a couple cool things that work well. but integy is just plain silly.

tc3's are good cars for the first timer these days. that's what I started with and it was great. I found a good deal on the tc5r so I couldn't pass it up.

for some ODD reason. when the tc3 got hot running pack after pack it just felt stupid. very sloppy and not good handling. when the car had a break for a few hours it was pack to normal. I think it was just me.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #9147
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATC3 View Post
the integy tc5 parts are just silly. they don't look stronge. and who would buy aluminum a-arms? they made a couple cool things that work well. but integy is just plain silly.

tc3's are good cars for the first timer these days. that's what I started with and it was great. I found a good deal on the tc5r so I couldn't pass it up.

for some ODD reason. when the tc3 got hot running pack after pack it just felt stupid. very sloppy and not good handling. when the car had a break for a few hours it was pack to normal. I think it was just me.
Perhaps, the heat would cause slight chassis flex, therefore making it feel inconsistant. I have always wheeled schumie's so I have only played around with the AE cars. I remember when the new Lost sedan was around for the team drivers and my buddy had one (jrx-s) It was a pita to work with but when we got it set up it was pretty fast, although it always felt like it scrub to much speed cornering. It was a decent car after some work though, and My Schumie's would Tweak from lap to lap. I had more problems with them than anybody. Thought I would give the TC5 a try, it looks like a good car. I always like the TC3 because of the accel, no worries on belt slipping. It always had that look to it "beginner car" but with right setup it was very fun to drive
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #9148
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Balistic, The inertial forces of the motor are far greater then the forces generated by the shaft and drive gears that are mounted on it. The motor is the largest impact as far as inertia goes on the vehicle.
For example, the X6 off road car recently went to a 4 gear transmission to allow them to flip the motor over, since the car handled poorly in the air with the motor spinning the opposite of what racers are used to. This means the motors inertia overcame the inertia of the entire transmission, wheels and tires, top shaft, spur gear, slipper, etc.

The other issue is the force generated by the pinion climbing the ring gear when accelerating and the force changing direction when braking heavily.

It looks like you may be an auto tech like I am, so I was researching this years ago during the hieght of the Shaft vs. Belt debate.

We all know what drivetrain AE uses now....as well as every competitive top level car. That isn't to say it can't work, but when traction is high and the competition is stiff, every little bit matters.

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #9149
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was looking on snowbird's website and i saw some pictures of what i think was Blackstock's TC5, and it had Aluminum C-hubs, Steering Knuckles, and rear hub. Who makes this? It doesnt look like Integy. Heres the link:

http://www.rcactionpics.com/gallery/...unday_498.html

l MOMO USA l OZ Racing l Willwood Brakes | Dunlop Tires |

The Raceway at Beaver: Forever In Blue Jeans
Mark506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #9150
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have the FT TC5 and I upgraded to the (blue) alum. diff outdrives. Problem is there is alot of slop between the dog bones and the outdrives. Anybody else have this problem?
Mugen MTX4R - OS speed .12 TZ
TC5 - Mamba Max 5700Kv
B-DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote